Evelyn Wanek

Dr. Doogie

Reaction score
I want to consolidate the information concerning Evelyn Wanek in one place.

Here is what we know as of now:

In the days following the death of George Brody, George Waters placed a 40 minute call to Evelyn Wanek. Evelyn ran a health studio in Pacifica (which is just south of San Francisco on the Pacific Ocean and just north of Half Moon Bay). Joe Ford later had a conversation with her and she confirmed that she knew Brody, but knew Waters as Jack Wolf (Wolfe? Woolf?).

We discovered that, in 1970, she ran a health studio in San Francisco at 967 Sutter Street. At this time, Brody lived at 1156 Sutter Street and Waters lived at 630 Geary Street. Below is a map created by MagicRose99 that demonstrates how close these address are.

The timing of when Evelyn became acquainted with the two Georges is important because if we can establish that they knew each other prior to January 16th, 1973, then she becomes a viable candidate as a possible co-conspirator.

We have also discovered a 40 year old woman with the last name of Wanek living in California who seems to resemble the age-progression of Anna. Details about her are being kept off of the forum to protect her privacy. We are trying to determine if a link between this woman and Evelyn exists - so far, no luck.

Attachments

• sanfran.jpg
    sanfran.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 459
More exciting news.... thanks for keeping us posted, Doogie! Anna is in my thoughts daily.

A person who is not a member of Websleuths sent me the following information: Evelyn obtained a patent for an "Apparatus for Facilitating Colonic Irrigation" in 1958. http://patimg2.uspto.gov/.piw?docid=US002818862&SectionNum=1&IDKey=D50C650BC351&HomeUrl=http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1%2526Sect2=HITOFF%2526d=PALL%2526p=1%2526u=%25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsrchnum.htm%2526r=1%2526f=G%2526l=50%2526s1=2,818,862.PN.%2526OS=PN/2,818,862%2526RS=PN/2,818,862 Her listed address is in San Francisco, so that establishes that she was in SF in 1958 and 1970, then moved to Pacifica sometime between 1970 and 1981. (She later moved to the Santa Cruz area where she died in December 1992.)

Now follow me here (even though this is a little distasteful): Annasmom mentions in her manuscript about her attempt to give Waters an enema at the suggestion of Brody. Wanek ran a health studio that featured "colon therapy" and she had a patent for a fancy device to facilitate enemas. While not proof positive of a link between Wanek and Brody at the time of the ill-fated enema (late 1960's), it does seem to show that Brody had some familiarity with enemas and their purported medical benefits during this era. Such knowledge may quite likely have come from Evelyn. This provides one more clue that Wanek and Brody may have known each other prior to January 1973.

I have now spent more time thinking about enemas than I thought I would have done in a lifetime... :doh:

I wonder if a picture of this device exists, and as distasteful as this might be if Annasmom would recognize the picture. Perhaps GB suggested this particular device? Especially if others existed at the time.

As Bill Murray said in Tootsie, "I think we're getting into a weird area here"!

But seriously, that does sound like a plausible lead.

I wonder if a picture of this device exists, and as distasteful as this might be if Annasmom would recognize the picture. Perhaps GB suggested this particular device? Especially if others existed at the time.

If you click on the link I (or Doogie's link, if you can see it) it provides drawings of the device...

Bleecch!

Asthetics aside, I really believe you may be onto something, Doogie. Great detective work and kudos to you for boldly going where no man has gone before!

A little more genealogical information on Evelyn Wanek

Maybe Joe Ford or Annasmom will reconize a name.

According US census records Evelyn's family lived in North Dakota from at least 1910 to 1930. Death records show her mother, father, and at least one sister also died in CA

Father: Joseph M. Wanek b. 1-27-1873 d. 4-15-1972 (SF CA)
Mother: Barbara (Matuska) b. 6-27-1883 d. 11-30-1981 (SF CA)
Sister: Florence M. b.1905
Self: Evelyn R. b. 2-11-1906 d.12-31-1992 (San Mateo CA)
Sister: Loretta F. (Guidici) b. 10-25-1911 d. 10-19-1995 (Santa Cruz CA)

I haven't been able to trace info on older sister Florence yet

Loretta Frances Wanek married Peter Guidici (both deceased)
children:
David Charles Guidici b.5-16-42 d.10-27-81 (San Mateo CA)
Maureen C. Guidici b.12-7-37

Maureen is still living, married twice, and appears to have a couple step-children, none of her own. If Anna was given to a Wanek family member, Maureen would be a possible choice. IMHO. There was a (now 40 year old) woman living in their household at one time. I believe she was the wife of a step son.

Evelyn's uncle Nick Matuska (b.10-11-1883 d.3-28-1965 Wilkin, MN) lived with the Wanek family for several years. Uncle Nick married in 1911 to Wilma and had 3 daughters (one named Evelyn) and 2 sons in ND by 1930. Not sure when he moved to MN, but his children would all be about the right age to receive a child Anna's age. Nick's WWI draft info lists him as medium height, blue eyes and brown hair

A man by the name of Frank Zitka (b.1868) lived with the Wanek family as a lodger or a servant in the 1930's

A person who is not a member of Websleuths sent me the following information: Evelyn obtained a patent for an "Apparatus for Facilitating Colonic Irrigation" in 1958.... :doh:

If you look closely at the drawing, it states that the patent was actually filed December 14, 1953.

Well, as a told you in another thread English is not my first language and I’m affraid I lack the vocabulary to explain you properly what I mean and – even worse - the knowlegde about the life in the USA and its differences to our life in Germany.

But reading through the postings about Evelyn Waneck my first thought was, that she probably was George Brodies last “doctor” and offered some unusual treatment for his throat cancer.

As I told you I don’t know about the USA, but here in Germany it would be a status problem for a real academic doctor like George Waters if he would have to admit or if there only were rumours that someone close to him ( and someone who was also his patient) went to the owner of a health studio for treatment after he – the real doctor – failed in curing his patient.

I don’t know about the USA but here in Germany every doctor would have a good reason to give a false name in this case.

But reading through the postings about Evelyn Waneck my first thought was, that she probably was George Brodies last “doctor” and offered some unusual treatment for his throat cancer.

OMG, I'm picuturing this rectal tubing going down his throat! LOL

Mischa, welcome to the forum!

Thanx Sherlock :)

Personally I hope Evelyns cure for cancer was a good whipping !

Wasn't GW Brody's doctor? Also, GW's frame of mind I don't think he cared about his reputation as a Dr... he already had several disciplinary issues, didn't he?

My minds foggy for some reason today...

I think status and discipline are two diffent issues that could be the same.
..If GW disciplinary problems arised from struggles with his disciplinarians the reason was probably a kind of job-related vanity. And not wanting to admit that he was unable to cure George Brody would have arised fromm much the same reason.

( Sorry, I don't think my mind is foggy, but my English probably is)

I think status and discipline are two diffent issues that could be the same.
..If GW disciplinary problems arised from struggles with his disciplinarians the reason was probably a kind of job-related vanity. And not wanting to admit that he was unable to cure George Brody would have arised fromm much the same reason.

( Sorry, I don't think my mind is foggy, but my English probably is)

I think your English is just fine, and your comments are perceptive. Some of the disciplinary problems had to do with bizarre therapies (possibly suggested by GB), but also with "normal" things like not showing up for work on time, not doing paperwork, etc. He obviously tried LOTS of "alternative" therapies for GB once they knew how sick he was. All this is documented in what we have been calling the Box From Hell.

I don't see where I ever posted this bit of information before: I heard back from the Gearson Institute (the alternative medicine / cancer clinic in San Diego which uses, among other techniques, enema therapy). They do not have a record of Evelyn Wanek being an authorized practicioner of their techniques.

I'm just catching up so bear with me...This is the Evelyn Wanek we are interested in, right? Died in 1992 at the age of 86?*Full Name Age Year Born Birth Date Death Date Last Residence * *******************************************WANEK, EVELYN 86 1906
Sorry, the post doesn't appear as it did on the site I found it on

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back