Madonna Angers Animal Rights Group

Sheesh. I'm not a Madonna fan but those PETA folks need to get a grip. :rolleyes:

I thought maybe she made the animals drink the dye or something, why is this an issue? Who cares, the sheep weren't armaed and look pretty healthy and well cared for.

I can't stand PETA or Madonna. lol
If the animals were dyed with food coloring, who cares.

Since we dye our own hair with chemicals much worse than whatever she put on the sheep, I think this protest is stupid. The sheep were not harmed, and their explanation that others might copy it....?? Hello, most people don't own sheep for decoration, they are for food or wool. Food sheep will be killed, and wool sheep ranchers are certainly not going to ruin their commodity by dyeing it. My neighbors own sheep for weed control and meat. I can tell you there won't be any funny colored sheep in our neighborhood, it's way too much trouble. Their other complaint that it wasn't necessary...well neither is clipping your poodle with a dutch cut, or painting your dogs toenails, or making him wear a scarf or raincoat. Not necessary, but totally harmless.

Geesh!! PETA is a bunch of loons and they hardly have any credibility anymore.

In my late teens and (very) early 20s, I belonged to PETA. :blushing:

Now I can't imagine what I was possibly thinking. Just this weekend I watched a documentary on Ingrid Newkirk, the founder of PETA. That woman is NUTS. She thinks having children of your own is selfish. She doesn't believe in having pets because we should be fighting for the rights and freedoms of animals rather than 'collecting' them. Whoa.

You can still be an avid animal-lover and not like PETA. They take things WAY too far and make the issue of animals rights into a mockery, IMO.

Oops, I just realized that wasn't even about PETA. I'm smart. :)

In my late teens and (very) early 20s, I belonged to PETA. :blushing:

Now I can't imagine what I was possibly thinking. Just this weekend I watched a documentary on Ingrid Newkirk, the founder of PETA. That woman is NUTS. She thinks having children of your own is selfish. She doesn't believe in having pets because we should be fighting for the rights and freedoms of animals rather than 'collecting' them. Whoa.

You can still be an avid animal-lover and not like PETA. They take things WAY too far and make the issue of animals rights into a mockery, IMO.

Oops, I just realized that wasn't even about PETA. I'm smart. :)

Amen to this post also - PETA is one of those organizations that has lost itself in silliness and taking itself too seriously. I am an animal lover and I'm sure PETA does some good things for animal rights, but often I find myself :rolleyes: when I read some new PETA news. And, you are right, Shamrock - that sort of stance diminishes what animal rights is all about.

Amen to this post also - PETA is one of those organizations that has lost itself in silliness and taking itself too seriously. I am an animal lover and I'm sure PETA does some good things for animal rights, but often I find myself :rolleyes: when I read some new PETA news. And, you are right, Shamrock - that sort of stance diminishes what animal rights is all about.

Even a lot of other animal rights groups think some of what PETA does is destroying their credibility. It's too bad really because the animals need a voice too.

I agree with you guys - I love animals, and used to belong to PETA, but then I started to realize how extreme they were to the point of being ridiculous. If I recall correctly, they once had a promotion to try to get college students to drink beer instead of milk. They also went to a farm somewhere and released a bunch of minks or ferrets, most of which ended up getting run over by cars on nearby roads.

The article mentions the RSPCA as the agency upset with Madonna - I don't know much about them but IMO they need to lighten up too!

Even a lot of other animal rights groups think some of what PETA does is destroying their credibility. It's too bad really because the animals need a voice too.

Agreed - and PETA gets so much attention and has really built a name for itself with celebrity endorsements, etc etc - they should use their high profile more responsibly.

Oh brother! They are nuts! Dying a sheep is really hard due to all of the lanolin oil in it's coat and skin. Geesh, not everyone who sees that is going to try it and those that do probably wouldn't succeed anyway. Besides your sheep better be pretty tame to stand there and let you do that to them....

My brother had sheep...they were not easily caught or worked with although they loved him and let him shear them each year, they still fought him about it. They didn't just stand there like statues.

SNIPPED:
Since we dye our own hair with chemicals much worse than whatever she put on the sheep, I think this protest is stupid. The sheep were not harmed....

Their other complaint that it wasn't necessary...well neither is clipping your poodle with a dutch cut, or painting your dogs toenails, or making him wear a scarf or raincoat. Not necessary, but totally harmless.
:clap: :clap: Excellent points!!!

That sheep looks totally cool!
That's what I thought, scm!! :D If I had a white dog, I'd love to dye it a bright pink like that, or a cool neon blue (as long as it wasn't harmful to them). :D

Hello, most people don't own sheep for decoration, they are for food or wool. Food sheep will be killed, and wool sheep ranchers are certainly not going to ruin their commodity by dyeing it. My neighbors own sheep for weed control and meat.

I'm not defending PETA's silliness, but I think their point was there are clearly idiots in this world, and some of those idiots would probably like their own hot pink or magenta animal. I think when they were referring to copycats, they were referring to all animals, not just sheep.

It wouldn't suprise me to see a metropolitan person who only thinks of themselves to dye their miniature poodle they carry around in their overpriced handbags a matching color. And being as stupid and impatient as they are, they'll probably use a dye that that isn't safe for the animal.

that's a pretty pink sheep:)

personally i wouldn't do that to an animal, but i guess since it was temporary, & was for a vogue layout, guess it's ok....

It wouldn't suprise me to see a metropolitan person who only thinks of themselves to dye their miniature poodle they carry around in their overpriced handbags a matching color. And being as stupid and impatient as they are, they'll probably use a dye that that isn't safe for the animal.

I've actually seen people with way too much money who dye their dogs.

I'm not defending PETA's silliness, but I think their point was there are clearly idiots in this world, and some of those idiots would probably like their own hot pink or magenta animal. I think when they were referring to copycats, they were referring to all animals, not just sheep.

i agree Paladin..i think it was PETA's whole point also....

If they're worried about copycats, I think (for me) dyeing sheep is the least of my worries as far as copying what Madonna does. I'd totally rather see people dyeing their animals (which they do anyway) than adopting her stupid late 80s pointy bra look.

I understand they're saying that the next person to do it may not do it safely. Then why not get on her case about driving a car? Lots of people do that and get hurt. In other words, we all engage in behaviors every day that if someone else copied us and they weren't as careful, bad things could happen.

I think PETA looking for any excuse to keep their organization in the news. What I don't think they realize, though, is that stuff like this makes a lot of people feels that animal rights defender=crazy and meddling.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back