676 users online (91 members and 585 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Daredevil Evel Knievel dead at 69

CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) -- Evel Knievel, the hard-living motorcycle daredevil whose jumps over Greyhound buses, live sharks and Idaho's Snake River Canyon made him an international icon in the 1970s, died Friday. He was 69.

Knievel's death was confirmed by his granddaughter, Krysten Knievel. He had been in failing health for years, suffering from diabetes and pulmonary fibrosis, an incurable condition that scarred his lungs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

I grew up watching Evel... my father was a big fan and never missed one of his shows on TV or the movie theater.

RIP Evel

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

Aww, that's sad. He was quite a character. I thought he was older than 69!

We've nicknamed my youngest daughter Evel Knievel. He will live on in our home.

RIP Evel. I hope you are reaching the heights you desired.

RIP Evel

I thought he died years ago but apparently not.
    RIP Evel

Wow, that's quite shocking... I was just reading the other day about how he settled some court thingy with Kanye West last week.

Rest in peace, Evel.

Well,he certainly was a daredevil. May he rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by dingo View Post
    I thought he died years ago but apparently not.
    RIP Evel

I thought the same thing, Dingo.. I had to do a double take on the date of this thread... Prayers for his family..

This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

Oh ..... I have to call my little brother to let him know. We spent countless hours making jumps for our banana seat bikes pretending to be Evel Knievel.

RIP Evel

I remember my brother and I playing with his Evel Knievel set, as kids... had the action figures, little motorcycles and little motor home. We'd sit in front of the tv watching his televised stunts... and then we would get brave and tried to do stunts on our bikes. Thanks Evel for making childhood fun... though scary at times flying off the ramps on our bikes, but fun.

I am from Evel's hometown of Butte, MT. I went to school with Robby. I am so sorry to hear this news, but I knew it was coming.

RIP Evel, thanks for the memories!!!
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!"

The above post is my opinion and my opinion only. Please do not copy and past to other forums.

Who would ever have thought he'd die like any normal person? Hard to believe he survived all those stunts only to be brought down by a fairly mundane health issue.

RIP. You brought a lot of excitement to our lives.

RIP Evel! What a loss!

My thoughts and prayers are with Evel's family. He made an impact on so many of us! It was as if he COULD do anything. Today's tricksters are just reflections of what was a true daredevil. Evel pushed the limits of machine and man.

Also, it was his injuries that made me an ardent seat belt user and aggressive driver. (A good driver uses his brakes, brain AND accelerator!) Bless you Evel and my sympathies to your family. You will be missed.

Unhappy

I am sorry to hear this too. I don't think this is very well known, but he was also an artist. Back in the 80's my husband was a valet at a high end hotel, and Evel was a frequent guest there. He gave my husband one of his paintings. We have it hanging in our living room. It is very nice.

I hadn't thought of him for years, but years ago in Illinois I had a client who piloted the helicopter that pulled Evel out of the Snake River Canyon in 1974!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast