757 users online (94 members and 663 guests)  

Websleuths News

MD - Melody McKoy, 12, Baltimore, 1 Dec 1991

Melody has been missing for 16 years.

Melody McKoy
    Missing since December 1, 1991 from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: October 1, 1979
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 12 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0" (152 cm); 100 lbs (45 kg)
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Black female. Brown eyes; brown shoulder length hair.
    Clothing: A waist-length sky-blue coat with puffy sleeves. Blue sweat shirt. Blue jeans. Yellow socks. Either red Reebok tennis shoes or white tennis shoes

Circumstances of Disappearance
    McKoy was last seen in Baltimore, MD on December 1, 1991 at around 7:00 pm.
    McKoy failed to return to her West Baltimore home on December 1 after spending the night with a friend at a Freemont Avenue high rise (now demolished). When the friends' family awoke in the morning, Melody was gone. She had left her coat behind and taken one belonging to a teen-age boy living at the apartment. No one saw her leave.
    The day of her disappearance, Melody left her bike, which apparently had a flat tire, at her friend's house.
    Her mother reported Melody missing at 12:30 p.m. December 3, Melody's mother thought Melody may have been staying with an aunt as she has done many times.
    Melody was attending sixth-grade at Harlem Park Elementary School and was a good student.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Baltimore City Police Department
    Detective Mingle
    443-984-7385
    443-984-7386 or 443-984-7387
    Fax: 410.243.8683

Agency Number: 91–7L04683

NCIC Number: N/A
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
    NCMEC
    Baltimore PD
    Baltimore Sun

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1377dfmd.html

Melody was also mentioned on the thread for Toya Hill - could the two cases be related?
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37419

Connections?

Quote Originally Posted by Gina_M View Post
    Melody was also mentioned on the thread for Toya Hill - could the two cases be related?
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37419
    Good question. A lot of time had passed between the two cases - almost 10 years.

It would be nice to see how far apart the two cases were geographically and if there were any connections - such as relatives, or others connected with both cases.

20th anniversary approaching...

1 December 2011, will mark the 20th anniversary of the disappearance of Melody McKoy. She was only 12 years old.

Does anyone know the status of her case, or if there are any plans for an anniversary article on her disappearance?

Melody has been missing for 24 years now. It's sad to see that there is still a minimal amount of information available.

Quote Originally Posted by meggilyweggily View Post
    At the above link it is said she is believed to have been abducted by a non family member. Very sad, no resolution after all this time. What happened to her? Just 12. If and who harmed her has obviously gotten away with this crime, and maybe abducted other people, if indeed a non family abduction.

What a beautiful smile...First time I have ever read about this case. Poor little girl, what happened to her?

Quote Originally Posted by MagnoliaMountain View Post
    What a beautiful smile...First time I have ever read about this case. Poor little girl, what happened to her?
    She does have a beautiful smile.

I found a photo of the old demolished high rise where Melody lived when she went missing ,it was named Lexington Terrace and it was torn down in 1996 . lex.jpg

Also the Charley project page has her home as being on N.Mount street but the Baltimore Sun reported she went missing from friends home address on Saratoga street ,I searched a name of a neighbor quoted in an article to pin point the address down and come up with the 1800 block W saratoga.

Not a really safe neighborhood. It was reported in the same article that the homicide division had taken the case over.
    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...-mckoy-gregory
    Last edited by Soulmagent; 04-13-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Melody is still missing after 25 years. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulmagent View Post
    I found a photo of the old demolished high rise where Melody lived when she went missing ,it was named Lexington Terrace and it was torn down in 1996 . lex.jpg

Also the Charley project page has her home as being on N.Mount street but the Baltimore Sun reported she went missing from friends home address on Saratoga street ,I searched a name of a neighbor quoted in an article to pin point the address down and come up with the 1800 block W saratoga.

Not a really safe neighborhood. It was reported in the same article that the homicide division had taken the case over.
    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...-mckoy-gregory
    From what I remember being a teenager in that general area around the time Melody went missing, Lexington Terrace *in particular* was notorious. It was a high rise built in the 60s, I think, and it was a dire place to live by the time it was torn down -- I think it was mostly vacant, falling apart, lots of crime, major drug traffic. Who knows if that relates to what happened to Melody, though. :/

Thank you for the Sun article. Man. Melody sounds like she came from a family full of love. My heart breaks for her mother. I can't imagine having to cope with a loss of this magnitude.