MD MD - Melody McKoy, 12, Baltimore, 1 Dec 1991

Gina_M

Reaction score
Website
www.findmywayhome.org
Melody has been missing for 16 years.

Melody McKoy
Missing since December 1, 1991 from Baltimore, Maryland.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: October 1, 1979
Age at Time of Disappearance: 12 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0" (152 cm); 100 lbs (45 kg)
Distinguishing Characteristics: Black female. Brown eyes; brown shoulder length hair.
Clothing: A waist-length sky-blue coat with puffy sleeves. Blue sweat shirt. Blue jeans. Yellow socks. Either red Reebok tennis shoes or white tennis shoes

Circumstances of Disappearance
McKoy was last seen in Baltimore, MD on December 1, 1991 at around 7:00 pm.
McKoy failed to return to her West Baltimore home on December 1 after spending the night with a friend at a Freemont Avenue high rise (now demolished). When the friends' family awoke in the morning, Melody was gone. She had left her coat behind and taken one belonging to a teen-age boy living at the apartment. No one saw her leave.
The day of her disappearance, Melody left her bike, which apparently had a flat tire, at her friend's house.
Her mother reported Melody missing at 12:30 p.m. December 3, Melody's mother thought Melody may have been staying with an aunt as she has done many times.
Melody was attending sixth-grade at Harlem Park Elementary School and was a good student.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Baltimore City Police Department
Detective Mingle
443-984-7385
443-984-7386 or 443-984-7387
Fax: 410.243.8683

Agency Number: 91–7L04683

NCIC Number: N/A
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
NCMEC
Baltimore PD
Baltimore Sun

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1377dfmd.html

Melody was also mentioned on the thread for Toya Hill - could the two cases be related?
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37419

Good question. A lot of time had passed between the two cases - almost 10 years.

It would be nice to see how far apart the two cases were geographically and if there were any connections - such as relatives, or others connected with both cases.

1 December 2011, will mark the 20th anniversary of the disappearance of Melody McKoy. She was only 12 years old.

Does anyone know the status of her case, or if there are any plans for an anniversary article on her disappearance?

Melody has been missing for 24 years now. It's sad to see that there is still a minimal amount of information available.

mckoy_melody.jpg

I found a photo of the old demolished high rise where Melody lived when she went missing ,it was named Lexington Terrace and it was torn down in 1996 . lex.jpg

Also the Charley project page has her home as being on N.Mount street but the Baltimore Sun reported she went missing from friends home address on Saratoga street ,I searched a name of a neighbor quoted in an article to pin point the address down and come up with the 1800 block W saratoga.

Not a really safe neighborhood. It was reported in the same article that the homicide division had taken the case over.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1991-12-13/news/1991347178_1_melody-mckoy-gregory

I found a photo of the old demolished high rise where Melody lived when she went missing ,it was named Lexington Terrace and it was torn down in 1996 . View attachment 91878

Also the Charley project page has her home as being on N.Mount street but the Baltimore Sun reported she went missing from friends home address on Saratoga street ,I searched a name of a neighbor quoted in an article to pin point the address down and come up with the 1800 block W saratoga.

Not a really safe neighborhood. It was reported in the same article that the homicide division had taken the case over.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1991-12-13/news/1991347178_1_melody-mckoy-gregory

From what I remember being a teenager in that general area around the time Melody went missing, Lexington Terrace *in particular* was notorious. It was a high rise built in the 60s, I think, and it was a dire place to live by the time it was torn down -- I think it was mostly vacant, falling apart, lots of crime, major drug traffic. Who knows if that relates to what happened to Melody, though. :/

Thank you for the Sun article. Man. Melody sounds like she came from a family full of love. My heart breaks for her mother. I can't imagine having to cope with a loss of this magnitude.

27 years past, so sad.
I believe that Melody was tempted to sneak outside the building to meet him/them
and then she was harmed, I wonder if the occupants of the building
were thoroughly investigated.

She was reported missing the day after when she failed to come home from school according to the article. Her mom though she stayed at an aunt. This case really got the worst of starts and considering she's black and from a notorious crime ridden area it got very little attention in the media. I suppose she's sadly the victim of a crime.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Melody McKoy – The Charley Project

Melody McKoy
  • melody_mckoy_1.jpg
  • mckoy_melody2.png
  • melody_mckoy_2.jpg
Melody, circa 1991; Age-progression to age 36 (circa 2015)

• Missing Since12/01/1991
  • Missing FromBaltimore, Maryland
  • ClassificationNon-Family Abduction
  • Date of Birth10/01/1979 (40)
  • Age12 years old
  • Height and Weight5'0, 100 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA borrowed boys' waist-length sky-blue coat with puffy sleeves, blue jeans, a blue sweatshirt, yellow socks, and either red Reebok sneakers or white sneakers.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsAfrican-American female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Melody's hair was shoulder-length at the time of her disappearance. She has mole on her right cheek.
Details of Disappearance
Melody was last seen in the 300 block of Fremont Avenue in Baltimore, Maryland, in an apartment in a now-demolished high-rise, at approximately 7:00 p.m. on December 1, 1991. She has never been heard from again. She left her own coat behind in the apartment, wearing instead a coat that belonged to a boy who lived there. She left her bicycle at her friend's home as well; it had a flat tire.

Melody resided in the 300 block of north Mount Street in west Baltimore at the time of her disappearance. She was a sixth-grader at Harlem Park Elementary School, and had good grades and a good attendance record.

Her mother initially thought she was staying with an aunt, something Melody did frequently. She was discovered missing when she did not show up for school on December 2. Melody's loved ones say it is uncharacteristic of her to leave without warning. She is believed to have been abducted by a non-family member. Few details are available in Melody's case.

Street view where she was last seen, However the high rise she lived at is demolished by now, think it was named Lexington Terrace which was really large.
Google Maps

Where she lived, looks like its an older run down house
Google Maps

Melody McCoy

mm.jpg
Melody, circa 1991
  • Missing Since - 12/01/1991
  • Missing From - Baltimore, Maryland
  • Classification - Non-Family Abduction
  • Sex - Female
  • Race - Black
  • Date of Birth - 10/01/1979 (42)
  • Age - 12 years old
  • Height and Weight - 5'0, 100 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description - A borrowed boys' waist-length sky-blue coat with puffy sleeves, blue jeans, a blue sweatshirt, yellow socks, and either red Reebok sneakers or white sneakers.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics - African-American female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Melody's hair was shoulder-length at the time of her disappearance. She has mole on her right cheek.
Details of Disappearance
Melody was last seen in the 300 block of Fremont Avenue in Baltimore, Maryland, in an apartment in a now-demolished high-rise, at approximately 7:00 p.m. on December 1, 1991. She has never been heard from again. She left her own coat behind in the apartment, wearing instead a coat that belonged to a boy who lived there. She left her bicycle at her friend's home as well; it had a flat tire.

Melody resided in the 300 block of north Mount Street in west Baltimore at the time of her disappearance. She was a sixth-grader at Harlem Park Elementary School, and had good grades and a good attendance record.

Her mother initially thought she was staying with an aunt, something Melody did frequently. She was discovered missing when she did not show up for school on December 2. Melody's loved ones say it is uncharacteristic of her to leave without warning. She is believed to have been abducted by a non-family member. Few details are available in Melody's case.

Investigating Agency
Baltimore City Police Department
443-984-7114
410-396-2359

Melody McKoy – The Charley Project

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads