737 users online (122 members and 615 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Montell Williams "incident" in Savannah, GA

I didnt even know he was in town. Anyway, I was just checking the news and came across this article...

http://savannahnow.com/node/407706

Television talk-show host Montel Williams threatened to find and "blow up" the homes of three Savannah Morning News reporters Friday while he was in town promoting free prescriptions for poor people.
    The incident took place at the Westin Savannah Harbor after an event in Johnson Square for the Partnership for Prescription Assistance's "Help is Here Express."
    Before the event, Williams took exception to a question asked by Morning News high school intern Courtney Scott and abruptly ended a videotaped interview.
    Later, Scott, web content producer Joseph Cosey and intern Phillip Moore went to the Westin for an unrelated assignment featuring gingerbread houses at the hotel.
    Williams and his bodyguard were in the lobby, too.
    "As we were preparing to film, Montel walked up with his bodyguard and got in Courtney Scott's face pointing his finger telling her, 'Don't look at me like that. Do you know who I am? I'm a big star, and I can look you up, find where you live and blow you up,' " Cosey said. "At this time he was pointing randomly at all of us."

There is more at the link above.

Well I had to go find out what the question was that Montel found so offensive. It was a great question from a high school student ... talk about a big over reaction on his part.

Interview cut short

Before the rally in Johnson Square, Williams stood for an interview with Scott. With her second question she asked, "Do you think pharmaceutical companies would be discouraged from research and development if their profits were restricted?"

It was a question she came up with after discussing the issue with her Advanced Placement English teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by golfmom View Post
    Well I had to go find out what the question was that Montel found so offensive. It was a great question from a high school student ... talk about a big over reaction on his part.

Interview cut short

Before the rally in Johnson Square, Williams stood for an interview with Scott. With her second question she asked, "Do you think pharmaceutical companies would be discouraged from research and development if their profits were restricted?"

It was a question she came up with after discussing the issue with her Advanced Placement English teacher.
    That is what he considers offensive? what a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by gidget641 View Post
    That is what he considers offensive? what a jerk.
    It was a very intelligent question. He could have at least made up an answer.

gidget--Love the new photos in your siggy!

Quote Originally Posted by Squishified View Post
    It was a very intelligent question. He could have at least made up an answer.

gidget--Love the new photos in your siggy!
    He wouldn't have to make up an answer. The answer is that it would. Plus, it costs millions upon millions of dollars to develop, test and market a drug. Most do not even make it to the final phase. I believe that it takes an average of 14 years for the ones that do make it to market.

To add, many companies have to defend themselves against lawsuits, many of which are unfounded. So, that is very expensive.

The cancer drugs are nothing short of a miracle. They are expensive, but they work. The anemia drugs to counter the chemo side effects work, too. All of the drug companies will give free drugs to those who are truly in need. My sister was able to get all of her medicine for free. I, who had insurance coverage, paid thousands a month in copay. I consider it well worth it, though.

Williams apologizes for his outburst:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071201/...u6XbfOxy6s0NUE

I just love when someone, especially a C list person, yells about "Do you know who I am? I'm a big star!" I cannot believe people actually say stuff like that. Paula Abdul supposedly has yelled similar things.

And I am not so sure he shouldn't face charges for threatening to blow the guy up. He won't, because he's a "big star," but maybe he should.

If I am PPA, I would seriously consider dropping him as a spokesperson.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Huh?!.. Monetel Williams?! This seems sooo out of character. I love that guy... think he is so handsome and intelligent. I don't know about that now!

Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim View Post
    The cancer drugs are nothing short of a miracle. They are expensive, but they work. The anemia drugs to counter the chemo side effects work, too. All of the drug companies will give free drugs to those who are truly in need. My sister was able to get all of her medicine for free. I, who had insurance coverage, paid thousands a month in copay. I consider it well worth it, though.
    To me cancer drugs won't be a miracle until they cure it. I have had too many loved ones die from cancer.

I have no love for pharmaceutical companies. I fully belive that cancer and AIDS cures are posssible but the pharmeceutical and health care industry make more money treating it. I think Montel may have misunderstood this kids and thought the kid was being smart about his free drug program, maybe thinking the kid was implying that if we keep giving out free drugs the companies will go broke. They won't though, even if they gave free drugs to 50% of the country they would still make tons. Is there any defense for people who charge 90$ for an allergy drug or 150 for breathing treatment drugs?
    I know many of you will find that nuts, but it's just my opinion.

Simple As

All he had to do was consult his friend Sylvia Brown and ask her what questions he'd be asked. Maybe his own meds are effecting his temper.

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    All he had to do was consult his friend Sylvia Brown and ask her what questions he'd be asked. Maybe his own meds are effecting his temper.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by 2sisters View Post
    I have no love for pharmaceutical companies. I fully belive that cancer and AIDS cures are posssible but the pharmeceutical and health care industry make more money treating it. I think Montel may have misunderstood this kids and thought the kid was being smart about his free drug program, maybe thinking the kid was implying that if we keep giving out free drugs the companies will go broke. They won't though, even if they gave free drugs to 50% of the country they would still make tons. Is there any defense for people who charge 90$ for an allergy drug or 150 for breathing treatment drugs?
    I know many of you will find that nuts, but it's just my opinion.
    There's not even a cure for the common cold. Is this also a conspiracy by the pharmaceutical companies? I have found that your way of thinking is usually passed down by one's parents. I know that my parents thought the same way. I actually did some research on pharmaceutical companies while working on my MBA. That research led me to a different way of thinking.

I don't believe that Montel thought the child was being smart. I think that Montel decided to answer defensively. How do you think that made this youngster feel? Do you think that we should just cut Montel a break because of what he may have "thought?"

I wanted to also add that there is plenty of money to be had if the health industry could find cures for cancer and AIDS. There will always be other diseases to treat. The list is really never ending. Polio used to be the killer disease. A cure was found for it. There are all sorts of vaccines now that they didn't have in the past. I think that one of the problems with creating vaccines for some of the diseases is that the viruses constantly mutate.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sisters View Post
    To me cancer drugs won't be a miracle until they cure it. I have had too many loved ones die from cancer.
    I think you need to ask those who have had their lives prolonged from these drugs if they think they are a miracle or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    I just love when someone, especially a C list person, yells about "Do you know who I am?
    Dearest Dark Knight,
    I had heard this saying many times in my former job.

Much Love and Respect for you,
    dark_shadows

Quote Originally Posted by Mygirlsadie View Post
    Huh?!.. Monetel Williams?! This seems sooo out of character. I love that guy... think he is so handsome and intelligent. I don't know about that now!
    I am guessing that his outburst has a lot to do with his MS. It can do insane things to one's personality--and that is without the drug side-effects & complications. Family members of people diagnosed with MS are warned shortly after diagnosis that there may be some major mood swings due to the disease, the meds, and the diagnosis. Since his diagnosis was made several years ago, I'm willing to chalk it up to the disease and potentially his meds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast