FL - Woman Stabs Autistic Nephew's Eyes, Then Herself

The police should have stabbed her tail in the other eye too!!! This is just crazy. I really want to hear her reasoning behind this one.

:mad: OMG as if this kid didn't have enough struggles in life. :mad:

OMG, that is horrible!! I can't even imagine.. she must be crazy literally crazy.. My prayers for the boy..

Relatives, for unclear reasons, waited more than 10 hours before calling 911, police said.

Cult? (Can't find the right word now, dang it).

I wish I could take care of that boy. My heart is breaking for him.

What aggravates me more than anything is he was mute already, and now blind too... what a witch. :mad:

I just had to add -- one of my sons is autistic. My youngest daughter has just been diagnosed with Asperger's. My sister is autistic. Stories like this bring me as close as I'll ever come to wanting to go vigilante on an accused criminal.

Steve/Mr. A

I just had to add -- one of my sons is autistic. My youngest daughter has just been diagnosed with Asperger's. My sister is autistic. Stories like this bring me as close as I'll ever come to wanting to go vigilante on an accused criminal.

Steve/Mr. A

Steve I can't even say I can imagine how you feel, but no doubt this just did it for ya. Thinking of you and your family. This is just so sad for this little boy.

The article stated that relatives waited longer that ten hours before calling 911! The same article says that the Grandmother adored the 12 year old. Why on earth did they wait that long?

Sometimes I just get so dismayed with humans.

misterallgood, you are correct .... reasoning will play no part in this.

Reasoning of any sort recognizable to sane human beings will have nothing to do with this.

Steve/Mr. A
Dearest mistergoodall,
Why was this said;
"No charges have been filed and no names have been released".
This is from the link on the first post of the thread.

Where is the sanity of that statement?

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

what's so strange is that she isn't even his mother (weird that i should even have to say that). it's his AUNT.

Sounds like some paranoid schizophrenia going on with the aunt. The rest of the family doesn't sound real swift either. Why wait 10 hours?

Dearest mistergoodall,
Why was this said;
"No charges have been filed and no names have been released".
This is from the link on the first post of the thread.

Where is the sanity of that statement?

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

I don't think there is any. The only thing that makes sense where the aunt is concerned is the idea that she herself may be clinically mentally ill. A crime this horrific, that's one of the few things that might make sense.

Steve/Mr. A

Steve I can't even say I can imagine how you feel, but no doubt this just did it for ya. Thinking of you and your family. This is just so sad for this little boy.

There was a bit in the article about the boy running around in his underwear outside. I could so see my son doing that if we dropped our guard for a minute (we don't; we have a doorguard on the front door so it can't be opened by kids).

There is a lot of stress in having autism in your family, but there are moments of great joy, and a lot of remarkable things can be learned about human nature. My son has taught me just how strong the human need for reaching out to others truly is. He is almost mute, at 4, but it turns out he has an unusual type of autism sometimes referred to as hyperlexia. Hyperlexic children literally learn to read and write before they can speak, and they teach themselves. My son was putting words together and learning to neatly write the names of things he liked when he was barely 4 -- and in part, it was also his way of getting around his inability to speak the words and still communicate with his mother and me.

It makes me incredibly sad when I think about the people afflicted with autism spectrum disorders who are not born into loving homes, who don't have caregivers open-minded and intelligent enough to learn what they are dealing with. I'm overly-protective of my kids and to some degree my sister (who is 47) already; stories like this just make that worse, somehow.

Thanks for your kind words, filly.

Steve/Mr. A

Relatives, for unclear reasons, waited more than 10 hours before calling 911, police said.

Cult? (Can't find the right word now, dang it).

The only reason I could possibly think that it would take 10 hours to call the police it that this happened in the evening, and given the fact the boy is mute he did not cry out. Meaning the grandmother may not of noticed anything was wrong until morning. A lot of children with autism are given medication to help/make them sleep at night, so if this happened at bedtime I could see it going unnoticed by anyone until morning. I mean it's not like the aunt was gonna call 911 and say "um excuse me but I just stabbed my nephew in the eyes do ya think you could send someone over?" Having worked with over 100 children with autism I can say some have a very high pain tolerance, and do not let you know when they are hurt or injured. The thing that really makes me so angry is I can honestly say I have learned more working with these children than I could have ever hoped to learn in school. Each one, though difficult at times, has a special gift to share. I love and care about each child I work with and could never dream of harming them, even though they sometimes attack and harm me. I just can't understand how she could not see this child for the blessing he is. I feel that if she did there is no way she could of ever harmed him. Of course that is true for every child, yet I read about the horrible things their so called loved ones do to them on here everyday.
Another thing that makes me very angry is by taking away his eyesight she may have taken away his only means of communication, given that he is mute. For those of you who don't know children with autism seem to understand pictures better than words, so a lot of children with autism, I'm not sure how many, use PECS (picture exchange communication system) or a PECS based system. Basically they have a book or a board with pictures that represent mostly nouns so they can communicate their wants and needs. Most of the non-verbal kids I have worked with have them, and they communicate more than you would expect. I don't know if this child used a communication system; However, he will no longer have that option because this woman took that from him. They should blind her, and remove her ability to speak, and then send her to prison for the rest of her life.

It makes me incredibly sad when I think about the people afflicted with autism spectrum disorders who are not born into loving homes, who don't have caregivers open-minded and intelligent enough to learn what they are dealing with. /quote]

I have dealt with this, and it is horrible. The children try so hard to please their parents to no avail. By the time they come to me it's a building process. I always make a extra special effort with those kids to let them know I do love and care about them and what they do. Sometimes it feels like we, the academic staff, are the only ones who provide the child with the emotional and physical support needed. I know teachers who have incorporated lessons on how to do laundry into their everyday lesson just so a student could have clean clothing a clean coat to ware. One teacher would get a student off the bus, and take him to the room to change before the assistants brought the other students to the room. That way his classmates did not know he wore the same clothing to school everyday (an extra set of clothing must be kept at school in case of emergencies). Then they would wash what he wore to school, and he would ware it the next day. It was a good lesson because the students learned how to wash clothes, but still very sad. She even bought toothbrushes for all of the students, and had them practice brushing their teeth after the morning snack and lunch. I have seen some sad stuff, and it angers me. I often wondered if the parents would act the same way if their child didn't have ASD, but the reality is ASD or not no one should be treated like that. I have noticed that their is a real unfairness when it comes to the way parents treat their children with ASD. It seems the more money the family has the better the child is treated. I'm not sure if this is because their families are typically better educated then lower income families, or if upper income families have more hope because they can afford services for their children that are not covered by insurance or IDEA. What ever the cause I wish it did not exist, and that all children were treated with the dignity and respect they deserve.

Spazkat, I hear a lot of stories like you tell. It's very sad. I wish I could take them all in to my home.

I think the "aunt" is clearly mentally ill. That grandmother must have had her hands full.

What's interesting to me is that autistic children often lack good eye contact. He may be higher-functioning of course, but I can't help but wonder why she chose the eyes. That's a very specific target and one where I would think she felt she had a good reason to do so.

I wonder if the aunt was having religious delusions involving seraphim (order of angels), i think seraphim are blind in some interpretations.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back