The Fertility Diet

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.newsweek.com/id/73354
Fat, Carbs and the Science of Conception

*CARBS*
In a nutshell, results from the Nurses' Health Study indicate that the amount of carbohydrates in the diet doesn't affect fertility, but the quality of those carbohydrates does. Eating a lot of rapidly digested carbohydrates that continually boost your blood-sugar and insulin levels higher can lower your chances of getting pregnant. This is especially true if you are eating carbohydrates in place of healthful unsaturated fats. On the other hand, eating whole grains, beans, vegetables and whole fruits—all of which are good sources of slowly digested carbohydrates—can improve ovulation and your chances of getting pregnant.

*FATS*
Trans fats were a different story. Across the board, the more trans fat in the diet, the greater the likelihood of developing ovulatory infertility. We saw an effect even at daily trans fat intakes of about four grams a day. That's less than the amount the average American gets each day.

Eating more trans fat usually means eating less of another type of fat or carbohydrates. Computer models of the nurses' diet patterns indicated that eating a modest amount of trans fat (2 percent of calories) in place of other, more healthful nutrients like polyunsaturated fat, monounsaturated fat or carbohydrate would dramatically increase the risk of infertility. To put this into perspective, for someone who eats 2,000 calories a day, 2 percent of calories translates into about four grams of trans fat. That's the amount in two tablespoons of stick margarine, one medium order of fast-food french fries or one doughnut.
Fats aren't merely inert carriers of calories or building blocks for hormones or cellular machinery. They sometimes have powerful biological effects, such as turning genes on or off, revving up or calming inflammation and influencing cell function. Unsaturated fats do things to improve fertility—increase insulin sensitivity and cool inflammation—that are the opposite of what trans fats do. That is probably why the largest decline in fertility among the nurses was seen when trans fats were eaten instead of monounsaturated fats.

*PROTEIN*
When we looked at animal protein intake separately from plant protein, an interesting distinction appeared. Ovulatory infertility was 39 percent more likely in women with the highest intake of animal protein than in those with the lowest. The reverse was true for women with the highest intake of plant protein, who were substantially less likely to have had ovulatory infertility than women with the lowest plant protein intake.

That's the big picture. Computer models helped refine these relationships and put them in perspective. When total calories were kept constant, adding one serving a day of red meat, chicken or turkey predicted nearly a one-third increase in the risk of ovulatory infertility. And while adding one serving a day of fish or eggs didn't influence ovulatory infertility, adding one serving a day of beans, peas, tofu or soybeans, peanuts or other nuts predicted modest protection against ovulatory infertility.
(SO much more at link)

Taximom, did ya notice nobody responded to your very interesting article? I'm thinking nobody is needing to get pregnant right now. Run and run fast from this thread. LOL I got pregnant after four years of fertility treatments. I led a macrobiotic lifestyle and was pregnant in a month. We are what we eat.

I thought we had a few that were trying or I wouldn't have posted it! Oh well. I hope it does someone good eventually.

My ob/gyn told my husband after the 4th: "You LOOK at her and she gets pregnant!" I feel for those that are trying and just can't for whatever reason.

I thought we had a few that were trying or I wouldn't have posted it! Oh well. I hope it does someone good eventually.

My ob/gyn told my husband after the 4th: "You LOOK at her and she gets pregnant!" I feel for those that are trying and just can't for whatever reason.
I sent it to someone that was VERY interested. thanks TM

I sent it on to my friend who has been trying for two years. Thanks!

I'm not trying yet, but hopefully in the next two years or so.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back