OR OR - Christie Farni, 6, Medford, 14 Dec 1978

Gina_M

Reaction score
Website
www.findmywayhome.org
Christie Lynn Farni
Missing since December 14, 1978 from Medford, Jackson County, Oregon.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: January 18, 1972
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 6 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'8"; 50 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
* Marks, Scars: Farni has a burn scar on her chest. Her ears are pierced.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Farni was last seen in Medford, Oregon on December 14, 1978. She was abducted while walking the few blocks between her foster home on Peach Street and Jackson Elementary School. That morning, she had testified before a grand jury that her father had physically abused her.
Christie may have been kidnapped by family members who either took her to a safer place or who killed her. Her father and stepmother cooperated with police, but neither interviews nor lie detector tests yielded the truth about what happened to Christie.
The father died in a California car crash several years ago. The mother died in a motorcycle accident a year before her daughter was abducted. Christie's half-brother may have been able to provide police the information they need but the 13-year-old - who briefly lived with his father around the time Christie went missing - later killed himself.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Medford Police Department
541-774-2250
Email

NCMEC #: NCMC601237

NCIC Number:
M-035339216
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
Mail Tribune
Medford Police Department
Oregon State Police Missing Children Clearinghouse

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/706dfor.html

I wonder just what all the circumstances were in these cases. Four deaths in one family in such a short time?

Is the Stepmother still living? Perhaps she could now offer some insight into Christie's disappearance.

I wonder just what all the circumstances were in these cases. Four deaths in one family in such a short time?

Is the Stepmother still living? Perhaps she could now offer some insight into Christie's disappearance.

Richard,

Thanks for posting this case, I have never heard of it. That number of deaths in one family in such a short time is unusual. Wish they would've stated when the 13 year old half- brother committed suicide. Makes a person wonder if he had information and had to be 'quieted'.

Some quetions I have:
How long had she been living in the foster home?
If she had testified before a grand jury that morning, why was she walking home alone?
Did she attend school after testifying ? Since she was walking the few blocks between her foster home and Jackson Elementary school, does that imply that she actually went to school.

Being only 6 years old, having to be quetioned by a grand jury, attend school afterward, then walk home alone?
Maybe my quetions aren't relevant, but what a trying morning that poor child had.

Thanks, Gina M.

Christie has been missing for 32 years today. :(

christiefarni.jpg

NamUs - https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/6052/0/

After reading all this why would her foster parents not report her missing till 4pm. They got a call at 1:30pm I would of called right then and there, especially with everything going on. Then reading more information on the Charley Project makes me wonder if her foster parents were part of what happened. Did they lead her father to her, or another family member? So many unanswered questions, and I do wonder if her step-brother was killed/presumed suicide because he knew to much.

She was only 6 years old, she’d been questioned by a grand jury, then had to attend school afterward, and she was made to walk alone?

I can’t understand why she was alone after the morning she had, and why the foster parents didn’t report her missing as soon as the school called to say she never arrived.

Just throwing a theory out there...

Do you think that maybe the half-brother did it?

MMW Worst Offenders: Christie Farni case

One of Medford's Most Wanted Worst Offenders may not even exist. More than 30 years ago, a 6-year-old Medford girl vanished while walking to school. The case is still unsolved and the girl is still missing. Christie Farni could be alive or a killer could still be out there.

[snip]

At first, investigators suspected Christie's father but he checked out. Detectives interviewed everyone in Christie's life but there were no solid leads. Police even tracked down notorious serial killers from all over the country but nothing ever panned out.

More: http://www.ktvl.com/shared/news/top-stories/stories/ktvl_vid_5479.shtml?wap=0

I suspect/hope that some relatives from her mom's side kidnapped her and took her to CA or AZ with a new name and identity. Although it could have been a random abduction, it just seems TOO coincidental. So I figure it is someone from the dad's side (to silence her) or from mom's side (to rescue her).
Maybe someday we will learn the truth.

I would like to know more about Christie's foster family. My questions:

1.) Who testified at the hearing? What was the outcome of that hearing?

2.) How much time elapsed from the time she vanished and the step-brother's suicide?
Was it really a suicide? Or a homicide designed to cover up a dark family secret?

3.) Why was there such a time gap between Christie missing, and when the police were called by her foster family?

4.) If tensions were high, why would Christie be allowed to walk to school after the hearing, alone?

My gut feeling is that her disappearance was related to her testifying at the hearing and someone did not like it, so whoever it was either took her away to a safe place or killed her. Was the step-family really checked out? Consistencies in story? Polygraph results?

Too many tragedies in the family in such a short time IMO. I suspect some cover up is involved here. What a painful situation!

Satch

A post in the thread about Lori Kennedy Ruff, states that Christie's DNA (DNA from a family member) was added to NAMUS database. So since Lori's DNA was ran through that and there was no match, she probably wasn't Christie.

What about the foster family? Do we know anything about them? Names, ages of possible foster siblings, etc? How long before they reported her missing?

I've been looking at cold cases in my county. Christie's is such a sad story. Poor little girl! :( I'm posting the KTVL story again because I think the comments by family members are very interesting, even though they have to be considered rumor. They speak of poor treatment by the foster family and a theory that Christie is living in Michigan.

I don't think the video still plays.
http://www.ktvl.com/shared/news/top-stories/stories/ktvl_vid_5479.shtml

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee