977 users online (187 members and 790 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OR - Christie Farni, 6, Medford, 14 Dec 1978

Christie Lynn Farni
    Missing since December 14, 1978 from Medford, Jackson County, Oregon.
    Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: January 18, 1972
    * Age at Time of Disappearance: 6 years old
    * Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'8"; 50 lbs.
    * Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
    * Marks, Scars: Farni has a burn scar on her chest. Her ears are pierced.

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Farni was last seen in Medford, Oregon on December 14, 1978. She was abducted while walking the few blocks between her foster home on Peach Street and Jackson Elementary School. That morning, she had testified before a grand jury that her father had physically abused her.
    Christie may have been kidnapped by family members who either took her to a safer place or who killed her. Her father and stepmother cooperated with police, but neither interviews nor lie detector tests yielded the truth about what happened to Christie.
    The father died in a California car crash several years ago. The mother died in a motorcycle accident a year before her daughter was abducted. Christie's half-brother may have been able to provide police the information they need but the 13-year-old - who briefly lived with his father around the time Christie went missing - later killed himself.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Medford Police Department
    541-774-2250
    Email

NCMEC #: NCMC601237

NCIC Number:
    M-035339216
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
    National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
    Mail Tribune
    Medford Police Department
    Oregon State Police Missing Children Clearinghouse

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/706dfor.html

Coincidences?

I wonder just what all the circumstances were in these cases. Four deaths in one family in such a short time?

Is the Stepmother still living? Perhaps she could now offer some insight into Christie's disappearance.

Talisman is offline Walk lightly in the spring; Mother Earth is pregnant. Kiowa proverb
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I wonder just what all the circumstances were in these cases. Four deaths in one family in such a short time?

Is the Stepmother still living? Perhaps she could now offer some insight into Christie's disappearance.
    Richard,

Thanks for posting this case, I have never heard of it. That number of deaths in one family in such a short time is unusual. Wish they would've stated when the 13 year old half- brother committed suicide. Makes a person wonder if he had information and had to be 'quieted'.

Some quetions I have:
    How long had she been living in the foster home?
    If she had testified before a grand jury that morning, why was she walking home alone?
    Did she attend school after testifying ? Since she was walking the few blocks between her foster home and Jackson Elementary school, does that imply that she actually went to school.

Being only 6 years old, having to be quetioned by a grand jury, attend school afterward, then walk home alone?
    Maybe my quetions aren't relevant, but what a trying morning that poor child had.

Thanks, Gina M.
    Last edited by Talisman; 12-03-2007 at 09:55 PM. Reason: edited to add Gina M. sorry about that!

"You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and stars."
    from Desiderata by Max Ehrlmann

Talisman is offline Walk lightly in the spring; Mother Earth is pregnant. Kiowa proverb
    Quote Originally Posted by meggilyweggily View Post

meggilyweggily,

Thank you so much for responding. Charley Project answered quite a few of my questions. Sorry, I didn't see that she was on your site.

Hope I'm not out of line, but thank you so much for all that you do! I've visited your sight many times (You're on my favorites)

"You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and stars."
    from Desiderata by Max Ehrlmann

Christie has been missing for 32 years today.

NamUs - https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/6052/0/
    Last edited by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed; 12-21-2010 at 03:40 AM.

After reading all this why would her foster parents not report her missing till 4pm. They got a call at 1:30pm I would of called right then and there, especially with everything going on. Then reading more information on the Charley Project makes me wonder if her foster parents were part of what happened. Did they lead her father to her, or another family member? So many unanswered questions, and I do wonder if her step-brother was killed/presumed suicide because he knew to much.
    ~Michelle

She was only 6 years old, she’d been questioned by a grand jury, then had to attend school afterward, and she was made to walk alone?

I can’t understand why she was alone after the morning she had, and why the foster parents didn’t report her missing as soon as the school called to say she never arrived.
    Staffies They're Softer Than You Think

"From where you're kneeling, it must seem like an 18-carat string of bad luck. But the truth is... the game was rigged from the start." – Benny Fallout: New Vegas

"What is the most admirable creature on God's green Earth? Why, it's the bee! Have you ever seen a bee on vacation? Have you ever seen a bee take a sick day? Well, my friends, the answer is no! So I say, be... the bee! Be the bee!" - Jeremiah Fink Bioshock Infinite

Medford missing persons cases reach eight in 2012

Medford Police Department missing persons cases reach eight with one dating back to 1978.[snip]

Last year, Medford Police were in California following up on leads for Brendt Rozelle, missing since 2002, and Christie Farni, missing since 1978.

More: http://www.ktvl.com/shared/news/top-...25.shtml?wap=0

Just throwing a theory out there...

Do you think that maybe the half-brother did it?

MMW Worst Offenders: Christie Farni case

One of Medford's Most Wanted Worst Offenders may not even exist. More than 30 years ago, a 6-year-old Medford girl vanished while walking to school. The case is still unsolved and the girl is still missing. Christie Farni could be alive or a killer could still be out there.

[snip]

At first, investigators suspected Christie's father but he checked out. Detectives interviewed everyone in Christie's life but there were no solid leads. Police even tracked down notorious serial killers from all over the country but nothing ever panned out.

More: http://www.ktvl.com/shared/news/top-...79.shtml?wap=0

I suspect/hope that some relatives from her mom's side kidnapped her and took her to CA or AZ with a new name and identity. Although it could have been a random abduction, it just seems TOO coincidental. So I figure it is someone from the dad's side (to silence her) or from mom's side (to rescue her).
    Maybe someday we will learn the truth.

I would like to know more about Christie's foster family. My questions:

1.) Who testified at the hearing? What was the outcome of that hearing?

2.) How much time elapsed from the time she vanished and the step-brother's suicide?
    Was it really a suicide? Or a homicide designed to cover up a dark family secret?

3.) Why was there such a time gap between Christie missing, and when the police were called by her foster family?

4.) If tensions were high, why would Christie be allowed to walk to school after the hearing, alone?

My gut feeling is that her disappearance was related to her testifying at the hearing and someone did not like it, so whoever it was either took her away to a safe place or killed her. Was the step-family really checked out? Consistencies in story? Polygraph results?

Too many tragedies in the family in such a short time IMO. I suspect some cover up is involved here. What a painful situation!

Satch

Could Lori Kennedy Ruff have been Christie?

Others have asked this on the discussion for this case. Sure resembles Christie.

http://seattletimes.com/avantgo/2021243300.html

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...tml?prmid=4939

Not sure how to explain the time between 1978 and 1988, but some on this thread thought that maybe the mother's family took Christie to raise her in secret. Although something awful may have happened with the foster family and Christie was never actually walking to school...

A post in the thread about Lori Kennedy Ruff, states that Christie's DNA (DNA from a family member) was added to NAMUS database. So since Lori's DNA was ran through that and there was no match, she probably wasn't Christie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast