GUILTY TN - Marcia Trimble, 9, raped & murdered, Nashville, 25 Feb 1975

beachcares2

Reaction score
It would not let me post where I did before on Marcia Trimble, so i'm starting a new thread in hopes others will see this and maybe remember seeing this man...The news had that he "may be linked"...of course they don't know but its worth a try to see if anyone remembers him...I saw some post of people that may have lived in her neighborhood.

http://www.wkrn.com/nashville/news/...derbilt-rape-questioned-in-another/129582.htm

It would not let me post where I did before on Marcia Trimble, so i'm starting a new thread in hopes others will see this and maybe remember seeing this man...The news had that he "may be linked"...of course they don't know but its worth a try to see if anyone remembers him...I saw some post of people that may have lived in her neighborhood.

http://www.wkrn.com/nashville/news/...derbilt-rape-questioned-in-another/129582.htm

I'm a Nashville native, and the Trimble case is one of the reasons I'm a true crime writer now.

They have now matched Mr. Barrett evidence from the scene and he will be arrested for Marcia's murder. Links:

http://tinyurl.com/32wyno
http://www.wsmv.com/news/14762550/detail.html

I've called a number of lifelong friends of mine who no longer live in Nashville, and the reaction so far has been stunned silence before they say something like, "Thank GOD."

That was my reaction, I know.

Steve/Mr. A

Jerome Sydney Barrett, age 60, has been arrested and charged with the murder of Marcia Trimble in the Winter of 1975 in Nashville, TN.

http://www.truecrimeweblog.com/2007/12/marcia-trimbles-murder-solved.html

I've already posted in some other threads about this, but this is breaking news for a lot of people interested in this particular cold case. A childhood friend called me on my cell to tell me she'd heard this on the news.

Marcia Trimble's unsolved murder is one of the chief reasons I'm a professional true crime writer now. One of the fundamental reasons I am a member of a forum like this. Marcia haunted me from day 1. I watched TV each night with my dad, and there she was on the local news, a blond, ghost girl with a Mona Lisa smile.

One of the first girls I ever had a big crush on, who is a friend to this very day, was Marcia's neighbor. Police were questioning my friend still in the 1980s about other kids in the neighborhood, trying to track down the killer.

The first girl I ever seriously dated was in Marcia's Girl Scout Troop. All three of them -- my first crush, my first girl, and Marcia, went to elementary school together.

Imagine someone telling you that they'd matched DNA to a perp in JonBenet's murder. For long-time Nashvillians, Nashville natives, this is pretty danged close to that huge level of news.

Here's an earlier blog entry I wrote detailing my being haunted by Marcia Trimble's disappearance and murder:

"Marcia Trimble, Meredith Harris, and Me."

Steve/Mr. A

Holy cow! That is big news. Well, I've followed this on your blog(s) so maybe I'm biased, lol. Wow. I hope he will confess too and tell them exactly what happened. Finally justice for Marcia, that's awesome!

This is great news! Marcia will finally get some justice.

Isn't DNA evidence wonderful!!!! After this family has been on such a long journey for answers, it has arrived.

Amazing news, Steve! :clap: :clap: I know how much this case means to you and where it has led you in life, and I wouldn't doubt it if your publicity helped bring about the arrest.

RR

Wow I am so glad to hear the great news.. thank goodness for technology and all the great detective work years are ago that led to the arrest.. lets hope they stick and that the answers are provided and justice Marcia's family so derserve is served.

Thanks Steve this is great, maybe Tuders case will be solved also.

Steve,
I realized the second I saw this, that is was "your" case.

Left you a comment on the blog.

Glad they finally got him, and I am sorry for the loss of your friend Marcia.

Susan

I'm a Nashville native, and the Trimble case is one of the reasons I'm a true crime writer now.

They have now matched Mr. Barrett evidence from the scene and he will be arrested for Marcia's murder. Links:

http://tinyurl.com/32wyno

I've called a number of lifelong friends of mine who no longer live in Nashville, and the reaction so far has been stunned silence before they say something like, "Thank GOD."

That was my reaction, I know.

Steve/Mr. A

yes, thank GOD....born & raised in Nashville...still here, & no truer words have been spoken than those below...very sad time for Nashville....

The case is often thought of by longtime Nashville residents as the time when the city lost its innocence forever.

btw....do you remember a case...gosh, i can't think of the girl's name right now, (that'll drive me crazy) but she was found across the street from, what use to be, the old RollerDrome up on Thompson Lane.....the girl had left the skating rink & was found dead in some weeds, i believe, behind the Krispy Kreme there.....trying to think of the details...i believe a sock was found stuffed in her mouth...anyway, i was a kid when it happened, & i remember feeling really scared hearing folks discuss it....not sure if it was ever solved, but maybe it was....my Daddy was one of the cops on the scene when they found her....

i don't know how old you are...i'm thinking you're a bit younger than me...i'm 49 yrs old & still remember folks talking about this murder on Thompson Lane....just can't remember all the details....i'm going to visit Daddy tomorrow afternoon, & i'll have to pick his brain a bit on it....this about Marcia got me to thinking about it.....

I feel the same way about a local kidnapped and murdered young girl, Amy Mihaljevic. I grew up with her case and the murderer has never been found.

I'm so glad Marcia's murderer has been identified. I hope time catches up with other unknown murderers.

Thanks Steve this is great, maybe Tuders case will be solved also.

I had the exact same thought. You know, he was probably in Memphis, but Barrett had been out of prison for a year when Tabitha disappeared, and a lot of people living in Nashville now seem to think of Tabitha whenever they hear about the Trimble case.

Steve/Mr. A

yes, thank GOD....born & raised in Nashville...still here, & no truer words have been spoken than those below...very sad time for Nashville....

The case is often thought of by longtime Nashville residents as the time when the city lost its innocence forever.

btw....do you remember a case...gosh, i can't think of the girl's name right now, (that'll drive me crazy) but she was found across the street from, what use to be, the old RollerDrome up on Thompson Lane.....the girl had left the skating rink & was found dead in some weeds, i believe, behind the Krispy Kreme there.....trying to think of the details...i believe a sock was found stuffed in her mouth...anyway, i was a kid when it happened, & i remember feeling really scared hearing folks discuss it....not sure if it was ever solved, but maybe it was....my Daddy was one of the cops on the scene when they found her....

i don't know how old you are...i'm thinking you're a bit younger than me...i'm 49 yrs old & still remember folks talking about this murder on Thompson Lane....just can't remember all the details....i'm going to visit Daddy tomorrow afternoon, & i'll have to pick his brain a bit on it....this about Marcia got me to thinking about it.....

(I'm 40, and I still refer to my father as "Daddy" most of the time. Non-southerners'll probably read our exchange and say "what?")

I think the girl's last name was Jones. I still remember my mom talking about that case. It bothered her because we had relatives over in Woodbine, where that KK was located, and we were out there a lot. One set of cousins lived with their creepy stepdad (they were my late uncle's kids) just up Nolensville Rd from that area. If they'd lived there when that girl was killed, I'd think that creepy step-uncle did it.

That case was sad, if I recall, because some folks thought it was not well investigated because the girl's family was allegedly <modsnip>. I seriously doubt that was true, though (about the poor investigation, that is).

Steve/Mr. A

Thank God there is now closure for Marcia's family.
I hope that they check various other cases to match DNA as this Barrett sounds like a serial killer. If he was arrested in another slaying of Sarah Dez Prez from the 70's; it sounds as if he has a wide age range with his victims. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more out there due to him.

that barrett man has lived with this for all these years, I just wonder how many other young girls are his victim? like the one you all are referring to from above if it was within the same frame of time, 75,76? this man was a street walker, and the fairgrounds area and beyond are not all that far from the location on jefferson street where he lived at the time, no doubt that he was a sexual predator, I don't think it mattered one bit to him if his victim was a young child or a young adult. would be interesting if they could find some connection to him on that other child too!

(I'm 40, and I still refer to my father as "Daddy" most of the time. Non-southerners'll probably read our exchange and say "what?")

I think the girl's last name was Jones. I still remember my mom talking about that case. It bothered her because we had relatives over in Woodbine, where that KK was located, and we were out there a lot. One set of cousins lived with their creepy stepdad (they were my late uncle's kids) just up Nolensville Rd from that area. If they'd lived there when that girl was killed, I'd think that creepy step-uncle did it.

That case was sad, if I recall, because some folks thought it was not well investigated because the girl's family was <modsnip>. I seriously doubt that was true, though (about the poor investigation, that is).

Steve/Mr. A

"Jones" is right....Daddy said her name was Kathy Jones, & no one's ever been charged w/her murder.....he said there was a person of interest way back then, but could never get anything on the guy to arrest him...some weird guy that hung around the area...the Shoneys up the street & at the skating rink....wonder if that was the creepy step-uncle?

O/T a bit, but we lived on Glenrose Ave up until i was about 7..then we moved to the Harding Mall area where we lived until i graduated from Antioch....course Harding Mall is no longer there.....anyway, i kinda figured you'd heard about Kathy Jones.....

& yes,,,,,my "father" has always been, & will always be Daddy, lol:)

even though it's terribly sad stuff, it's been nice reminiscing with ya...

This is destined to be on Cold Case Files now that there has been an arrest and most-likely a conviction.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back