Cheryl Hodges Dunlap, 46, Crawfordville FL *merged threads*

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
From http://tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200771203036

3 Dec 07

The Wakulla County Sheriff’s Office is looking for a missing woman who was last seen in her Crawfordville home Saturday morning.
Cheryl Hodges Dunlap, 46, has brown hair and brown eyes. She is 5 feet 4 inches tall.

and

Her car was found abandoned on U.S. 319 just north of the Wakulla County line.

more at link

pic
bilde

From http://www.wakulla.com/Announcements/Community_Service/Missing_Person:__Cheryl_Dunlap_200712034325/

Ms. Cheryl Hodges Dunlap, a 46 year old white female, is missing from her home in Crawfordville. She has brown hair and brown eyes. She is 5 feet 4 inches tall. She was last seen at her home this past Saturday morning, December 1, 2007 at 9:00 a.m. She did not show up this past Sunday, December 2, 2007 to teach her Sunday School Class. Additionally, she did not show up for her job with the State on Monday morning, December 3, 2007.

more at link

Wakulla woman still missing:

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071205/NEWS01/712050345/-1/BREAKINGNEWS

CRAWFORDVILLE — The search is still on for a 46-year-old Wakulla County woman who has been missing since the weekend. Investigators are disclosing few details. Meanwhile, Cheryl Hodges Dunlap's friends and fellow church members are worried about the woman they describe as dependable, faithful and cautious.
Dunlap was last seen about 9 a.m. Saturday in her Crawfordville home, according to Maj. Maurice Langston, spokesman for the Wakulla County Sheriff's Office — which Tuesday handed the case over to the Leon County Sheriff's Office. He did not say where that information came from.

Her car, which friends described Tuesday as a Toyota Camry, was found Monday on the shoulder of U.S. Highway 319. It was parked on the southbound shoulder just before the Wakulla County line. It had one flat tire.
Friends say the car had been spotted on the side of the road as early as Saturday. The car's flat tire was the "only abnormality we noticed," Langston said.
(more at the link)

Authorities Ask For Help in Locating Missing Woman
http://www.wtxl.tv/Global/story.asp?S=7443874&nav=menu594_2

Investigators are asking for your help in locating a Wakulla County Sunday school teacher missing since Saturday.
Wakulla County Deputies say 46 year old Cheryl Dunlap was last seen at her Crawfordville home at around 9 a.m. Saturday.
Deputies say they've already had a lot of calls from residents, but they're asking for even more information on the case.
Deputies found Cheryl Dunlap's car off Highway 319 yesterday near the border between Leon and Wakulla counties.
"We did find out that the automobile had a flat tire, so it may have been that she had some vehicle trouble and was trying to get some assistance," said Major Morris Langston of the Wakulla County Sheriff's Office, we're not sure what happened after that point."
Deputies say they found no signs of a struggle in the car.
(More at link)........

I brought this over from the Missing Persons Information and Support forum so that it can be opened for discussion.

Here is the link to the original forum:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56986

Facts and Loose Timeline:

She was last seen at about 9 AM at her home in Crawfordville, FL.

Her car, a white Toyota Camry, was found on the shoulder of Hwy. 319 headed Southbound (which is towards Crawfordville and away from Tallahassee).

She lived alone and had two grown sons.

She grew up in Wakulla County, and returned here to live this past summer after living in Alabama.

She spoke to a friend by phone just before noon on Saturday, and the friend says it was just a normal phone call and nothing out of the ordinary.

A call from Cheryl to a minister at her church was missed at 2:15 PM on Saturday. Cheryl was unable to be reached by phone later that day.

She did not show up for teaching her Sunday school class at church on Sunday morning, which was completely out of character.

She did not show up for work Monday morning at Florida State University. She is a nurse at an on-campus health center.

Her dog, a chihuahua, was left at home.

She had told friends that she was going to FSU to download some pictures one of her sons had e-mailed her.

A recent book purchase that was out of character as it was not religious in nature. It's called, "Wonderlust: A Spiritual Travelogue for the Adventurous Soul".

Noted in the comments blog for the Tallahassee Democrat:

*Something that I wondered. . . . if she was headed into Tallahassee for the afternoon, why was her car headed as if she going into Crawfordville?

*Re: Hwy. 319 being a scary place. I have broken down on that road at night before. It's a little spooky and as it's "country living", you won't see any streetlights. I'm not sure exactly where the car was found, but if it's right as you get to the county line, there's a road to the left and a road to the right, but no homes nearby. It's also right on the edge of a National Forrest, with a lot of woods and sinkholes around. The closest store is a little country store just about a mile away, if that.

*Rumor is that her purse was in her car, and a pink sweater was seen on the side of the roadway. Her cell phone was dead in her car with her purse, but her wallet and keys were gone.

*The Florida Department of Law Enforcement, or FDLE, is involved in the case.

*Although not reported on, there has been active searching in the area by LE.

*Friends that have talked to LE say that the rumors of blood evidence and flies in/on her car trunk are just that. . . . rumors.

Here's a start. If anyone is in the local area and can add anything to this, please feel free. I'm having a hard time understanding how a woman who had to be walking down a fairly busy highway in the middle of a Saturday afternoon could just go "poof".

Sheriff’s deputies said today that they suspect foul play in the disappearance of a Wakulla County woman and released a vague description of a man that used her ATM card.

Investigators also released information about a “vehicle of interest.”

Maj. Mike Wood of the Leon County Sheriff’s Office said Cheryl Hodges Dunlap’s ATM card was used at an undisclosed location on W. Tennessee Street Dec. 2, Dec. 3 and Dec. 4.

Dunlap has been missing since Dec. 1. Her car, which had one flat tire, was found two days later on the shoulder of U.S. Highway 319.

The man who used the card was fully covered in a long-sleeve shirt, gloves and some type of mask, Wood said. He also wore a knit cap and goggles, Wood said.

Wood did not say how much money was taken out of Dunlap’s account, but the man used her pin number, he said.

The vehicle of interest is a black Dodge Ram pickup with an extended cab. Witnesses said the truck was seen near Dunlap’s abandoned vehicle between 5 and 6 p.m. Dec. 1.

For more information, please check back with Tallahassee.com.
More at link.....
(PHOTOS OF MAN AT LINK)
http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200771211012

oh no... not good at all. we can see where this is going.
ladies.... for god's sake.. keep your tires NEW and inflated.... keep your car running in tip-top shape with a TRUSTWORTHY mechanic who won't lie to you, rip you off, and screw you over. get triple A.. keep your cell phone fully charged at ALL times with a car charger. don't waste your battery (and, your attention!) gabbing away about nothing important while in the car. be careful driving in remote places. too many crazy, murderous MEN out there these days.
not to say she wasn't doing all these things... but it's a good reminder. sleazy mechanics are the worst scum on the face of the earth.. they will rip off a lady in a second.. and they don't give a d*mn that for us especially can be a life-or-death issue.
not to go off on a tangent here.. but this just reminds me of how vulnerable we are out there. being in your car is a false sense of security.

oh no... not good at all. we can see where this is going.
ladies.... for god's sake.. keep your tires NEW and inflated.... keep your car running in tip-top shape with a TRUSTWORTHY mechanic who won't lie to you, rip you off, and screw you over. get triple A.. keep your cell phone fully charged at ALL times with a car charger. don't waste your battery (and, your attention!) gabbing away about nothing important while in the car. be careful driving in remote places. too many crazy, murderous MEN out there these days.
not to say she wasn't doing all these things... but it's a good reminder. sleazy mechanics are the worst scum on the face of the earth.. they will rip off a lady in a second.. and they don't give a d*mn that for us especially can be a life-or-death issue.
not to go off on a tangent here.. but this just reminds me of how vulnerable we are out there. being in your car is a false sense of security.

EXCELLENT advice, now let's all listen and do! :)

Great Advice!! This story caught my eye quick! I live like 25 minutes from Crawfordville and I hope they catch this guy soon!!!!! I will keep checking for updates!

Could I get a Mod to merge this with Cheryl's other thread? The original one was moved from the support section to here today.

Thanks!

I live closeby. We still have the unsolved Ali Gilmore case and now this. I'm wondering if it is a coincidence that the ATM card was used close to the FSU campus where Cheryl worked. Could this possibly be a student? He looks younger but its really impossible to tell with that disguise. I hope someone recognizes him by the clothes he's wearing. One thing is for sure, someone has seen something. I'll be looking for the truck.

Deputies have 'serious' concerns for woman's safety

Leon County sheriff’s investigators are searching for a man who used an ATM card belonging to Cheryl Hodges Dunlap on three consecutive days after she disappeared Dec. 1.

They’re also looking for the owner of a black Dodge Ram pickup with an extended cab. Witnesses said the truck was seen near the Wakulla County woman’s abandoned white Toyota Camry between 5 and 6 p.m. on Dec. 1.

Investigators are trying to link the man and the truck to Dunlap’s whereabouts.

“We have serious concerns for her safety and welfare,” said Maj. Mike Wood of the Leon County Sheriff’s Office.

Wood said Tuesday that Dunlap’s ATM card was used at an undisclosed location on West Tennessee Street on Dec. 2, 3 and 4. The first two transactions were made about 9:30 p.m.; the last one, about 7 a.m.

Investigators said they delayed releasing this information so they could conduct surveillance of the ATM for one week, but after the third transaction the man didn’t return.

The tall, thin man who used the card was fully covered in a long-sleeve shirt, gloves and some type of mask, Wood said. He also wore a knit cap and goggles every time.

“The video is not very telling,” Wood said. “The person that used it went to great lengths to disguise himself.”

“It’s frustrating that he’s so well covered,” said Tanya Land, Dunlap’s neighbor.

Wood said the man used Dunlap’s PIN number to access the money. He would not say how much was withdrawn, only that Dunlap’s account was not depleted.

Dunlap, 46, is 5-foot-4 with brown hair and brown eyes. She was last seen at her Crawfordville home Dec. 1. She didn’t show up for church the next day. She was reported missing that Monday when she didn’t show up for work at the Thagard Student Health Center at Florida State University.

Her car was discovered Dec. 3 on the south shoulder of U.S. Highway 319. It had one flat tire. Investigators have not released any more information on the car or its contents.

“We are really dependent on the community’s input,” Wood said.

Dunlap’s disappearance has distressed her close friends and has captured the attention of many in Wakulla County. About 180 people turned out Saturday to search a wooded area near where her car was found.

“We are very hopeful and continue to be,” said Lori White, a friend of Dunlap’s, who is pastor of education at River of Life Church in Crawfordville.

“It just absolutely perplexes me,” Land said. “It is so unfathomable to us that this is happening to Cheryl, of all people. We are just astounded by this whole thing.”

“We want it resolved soon,” White said.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Violent Crimes Unit at 922-3418; Crime Stoppers at 574-TIPS; or Wakulla Sheriff’s Capt. Randall Taylor or Investigator Scott DelBeato at 926-0800.
(More at Link)......
http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200771211012

---------------------------------------
I live on the Island about 40 minutes from Crawfordville, and I feel that it is possible a college student could be involved in this too. It is hard to tell by the ATM pics, unless someone recognizes the clothing and vehicle description! Let's hope that someone comes forward very soon!! This is definatly to close to home!!

why is this now listed under "located"....?

why is this now listed under "located"....?

I'm not sure reb. . . I'm still seeing it under missing/located forum discussion.

kym and cdt, glad you're here. What I'm about to say is a completely "for what it's worth" and "take it or leave it, it's OK" post. I've been a dull psychic for years now. It's really frustrating to try to focus and can't, but then things come to you when you least expect or want it. I really hope no one thinks I'm a kook. . . I'm really not, but here goes.

This morning I dropped my daughter off at the high school on Hwy 98. I've been fighting a headache and eyestrain for a week now. I was woolgathering on the way down 319 north thinking about Cheryl. I was sitting at the stoplight at the courthouse and **PING**. . . all of the sudden no headache and perfect vision for the first time in DAYS. I perked up my radar and said a short prayer. I think I even said "wow" aloud. I'm not a big prayer person, but I felt like I HAD to.

There's a big sign now on 319 about Cheryl at the exact spot she disappeared. I drove a little past it and pulled into the state park there, the Leon Sinks. The following is what I got, again "take it or leave it":

She felt something was wrong with her car. . . all of the sudden it wasn't driving quite right. She intended to go to Glenda's, the little BP on the side of the road. Next I see her talking to someone, and it's a friendly conversation. The guy is grinning, charming and helpful. It's one of those friend three times removed kind of people. I feel like she knew his "kin".

Someone else that she knows loosely pulled out of the Leon Sinks that afternoon. This person slows down as he goes by her, and sees that someone is with her and keeps driving. He's not coming forward now as he's got some legal issues himself. I think the key is going to be when he does finally come forward, because while he doesn't know this guy particularly, he does know "of" him and recognizes him.

I get the feeling that she is a very book smart person, but not street smart. She feels embarassment/shame at what happens next. That's blocked for me, and it's just as well because I don't want to know.

The next thing I see is a yellow house that's badly in need of painting. There's a concrete slab foundation to it. I can see yellow paint feathering, and the pea green color of algae that has built up. There's a floodlight I can see at the front of the house. At the angle that I'm seeing this, you'd have to be laying on the ground looking up at the house.

The other thing is that there is some kind of connection to Hwy. 20 and the back roads of it, near the lakes and sand pits.

I hope like ya'll just don't know that she's on a beach somewhere sipping a drink. I hope that I'm wrong and this whole post is cause for much eye-rolling later. There's nothing new that I could find in the Tallahassee Democrat this morning. I really hope that she doesn't fall off of the news radar.

Thanks FLMom! I actually live on the St.George Island. I haven't heard anything lately RE: Cheryl Dunlap. I'll keep looking though! I hope that she is found soon--Alive and well!!!

What do you all think the disguise is in the ATM video? It looks like a mask a painter or construction worker would wear. That would also explain gloves. It is very strange that he would use the same ATM three days in a row, that doesn't make much sense. I have a feeling someone is going to provide a tip in the next few days that leads to the man in the video.

cdt, I don't know what that mask is? It definatly looks strange! It looks like there are rows of tape over the nose. I agree--somebody has to recognize the clothing, unless that too was a disguise!? The ATM is close to FSU, so it could be a student? Any new news?

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/12487391.html

World Renowned Search Team May Assist in Dunlap Search:

Family and friends of Cheryl Dunlap are enlisting professional help now to try to find the missing Wakulla County woman. It's a search team all the way from Texas.
A missing sign for 46-year-old Cheryl Dunlap still sits off Highway 319 near the
Leon-Wakulla County line. Her white Toyota Camry was found there December 3, but even after a search of about 200 people on December 8, Dunlap could not be found.

Her friends and family are calling on The Texas EquuSearch Mounted Search and Recovery Team to help.
Brent Thurmond, a close friend of Cheryl Dunlap, said "I would certainly be very supportive of any resources in the State of Florida or even from Texas coming in to try to help do everything we possibly can do to find Cheryl."
EquuSearch was started in 2000 to provide volunteer search and recovery for lost and missing persons. Members of the Texas-based organization of 350-plus members are currently still in Aruba working on the Natalee Holloway case.
Holloway is the Alabama 18-year-old who disappeared on a graduation trip in Aruba May 30, 2005. Dunlap was last seen Saturday, December 1.
Tallahassee resident Logan Fish said, "It's terrible, right out there at Crawfordville, somebody just commuting from Wakulla and to our university and being taken from this area."
While Dunlap's loved ones await the professionals, they are depending on the community to help recognize and catch this man who was caught on film at a West Tennessee Street ATM. The Leon County Sheriff's Office says he used Dunlap's ATM card three days straight after she went missing.
An EquuSearch representative said that they do plan to take the case but they want to clear everything with local law enforcement first.

That is awesome news!! Thanks for finding it!! Tim Miller and his crew have done so much good for so many people. Maybe we'll get some answers now. . . I don't see LE refusing their help.

Haven't heard anything more about Dunlap except the search team from Texas possibly coming here. It looks like Hancock Bank on Tennessee St. but its hard to tell for sure. I find it hard to beleive someone doesn't recognize the man in that picture. Why do think he didn't go to different ATMs instead of going to that single one? Maybe he was familiar with that bank; close to his home etc. It makes me think he was comfortable with the area and didn't feel like he'd be cause or suspicious. I'm beginning to believe it is a local person thats involved. Possibly someone she met through work at FSU. I may be completely wrong. Maybe just a crime of opportunity.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back