Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Brad Pitt plans to rebuild ravaged New Orleans

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    20,222

    Brad Pitt plans to rebuild ravaged New Orleans

    ACTOR Brad Pitt has launched his own regeneration project for hurricane Katrina-ravaged New Orleans, unveiling designs for a range of eco-friendly and flood-proof homes.
    Pitt commissioned 13 architectural firms to produce houses that would incorporate solar power and other environmentally sound designs.
    He has put up $US5 million ($A5.7 million) of his own money and launched a website, www.makeitrightnola.org, asking corporations, church groups and others for $US150,000 donations for his adopt-a-house project, as well as smaller public donations.
    Former residents of the Lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans will be expected to contribute part of the cost of the new houses, with Make It Right making up the shortfall.

    http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/...530677036.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    18,095
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    ACTOR Brad Pitt has launched his own regeneration project for hurricane Katrina-ravaged New Orleans, unveiling designs for a range of eco-friendly and flood-proof homes.
    Pitt commissioned 13 architectural firms to produce houses that would incorporate solar power and other environmentally sound designs.
    He has put up $US5 million ($A5.7 million) of his own money and launched a website, www.makeitrightnola.org, asking corporations, church groups and others for $US150,000 donations for his adopt-a-house project, as well as smaller public donations.
    Former residents of the Lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans will be expected to contribute part of the cost of the new houses, with Make It Right making up the shortfall.

    http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/...530677036.html
    He's been working on that for a couple of years now. I think that's why they bought a house and live in New Orleans part time.

    He builds "green houses" too! Brad is just quietly making things happen.

    GOOD FOR HIM! GO BRAD!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    20,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Marthatex View Post
    He's been working on that for a couple of years now. I think that's why they bought a house and live in New Orleans part time.

    He builds "green houses" too! Brad is just quietly making things happen.

    GOOD FOR HIM! GO BRAD!
    I know and agree MT. But he just came out with this whole press release this morning so I thought it deserved a thread. he is unveiling his plans.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    20,222
    http://news.google.com/news?tab=wn&h...nG=Search+News


    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7126350.stm

    Pitt unveils Orleans homes plan

    Actor Brad Pitt has said he expected 150 homes to be built in an area of New Orleans destroyed by Hurricane Katrina, as part of a project he is backing.

    The 43-year-old Hollywood star, who has pledged $5m (£2.4m) of his own money to the initiative, made an appeal for further donations to the fund.
    Each house in the city's Lower Ninth Ward, which was deluged by flooding in 2005, will be built on stilts. Pitt and partner Angelina Jolie own a mansion in New Orleans' French Quarter.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    remotely
    Posts
    42,942
    Heads-up! Pitt is on LKL tonight...Yes, you have to suffer through Larry to see Brad.
    Tonight: Brad Pitt One-On-One


    Prime-time Exclusive!
    Brad Pitt wants to "Make it Right" in New Orleans! The actor is among those helping the most vulnerable in the city's Lower Ninth Ward. He tells Larry about the 150 affordable homes being built post-Hurricane Katrina, and why the project means so much to him, as well as the people who will live there.
    http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/larry.king.live/

    Brad Pitt interview with Larry King

    December 05, 2007 01:13pm

    BRAD Pitt speaks candidly about his new foundation, his love for Angelina Jolie and fatherhood on CNN's Larry King Live.http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...l?from=mostpop

    You can choose to be bitter or better when handling your problems.


    My posts are just my opinion and for entertainment purposes only.
    Do not copy any of my post. All post are to remain here.



    Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)
    2/12/1968 -8/1992 RIP you are missed.




    http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
    If you have information about Kyron Horman, please call the Tip Line at 503-261-2847 or dial 911

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    18,095
    OH, thanks for telling me!! He's one of the few men I like!!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    18,095
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    I know and agree MT. But he just came out with this whole press release this morning so I thought it deserved a thread. he is unveiling his plans.
    Great! so glad you did; he doesn't call alot of attention to himself - so we should call attention to him!!!! He truly is doing good works.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,940
    Go Brad! The US govt has been more than a little lax in dealing with New Orleans.
    The much ravaged LA needed assistance 2 years ago.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    24,559
    Rebuilding New Orleans is like working in a bowling alley and setting up the pins again. It's waiting for the next storm bigger than the last one.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzm1 View Post
    Rebuilding New Orleans is like working in a bowling alley and setting up the pins again. It's waiting for the next storm bigger than the last one.
    Hey Buzz!

    I was laughing at you for leaving this comment. The first time I saw San Fran from The Golden Gate Bridge, my only thought was "How in the world has that city not fallen into the water yet?"

    It's only a matter of time for all of our great cities by the sea!!!

    Good for Brad for assisting in the NO rebuilding efforts. I know he has a lot of interest in building and architecture.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    18,095
    Quote Originally Posted by philamena View Post
    Go Brad! The US govt has been more than a little lax in dealing with New Orleans.
    The much ravaged LA needed assistance 2 years ago.
    For sure.

    I am REALLY impressed by his articulation and ideas. He's taking the time to research and explain his plan. He's donating $5,000,000 of his own money to get it started. He's actually living there some of the time - not just "throwing money" and not following up. He seems involved.

    They need to build up on stilts though, and make sure the levees are sound. Like Buzz says, it can all be blown or flooded down again.

    I haven't seen him before up close on TV - he has a GREAT smile.

    I think I'm going to swoon. He is really leading us the right way, with green building and collection systems, etc. It doesn't matter whether your in Nola or central Texas where I am.

    I'm going to start going to his movies. I would like to donate for part of a solar panel or something, but I'm pretty short on cash right now. Maybe later -

    He's a wholesome guy from Missouri with solid values - GO BRAD!!!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Marthatex View Post
    For sure.

    I am REALLY impressed by his articulation and ideas. He's taking the time to research and explain his plan. He's donating $5,000,000 of his own money to get it started. He's actually living there some of the time - not just "throwing money" and not following up. He seems involved.
    SNIP

    He's a wholesome guy from Missouri with solid values - GO BRAD!!!!
    Marthtatex,
    You are so right about Brad being articulate. He's definitely more than a handsome face. I admire him for his dedication to New Orleans.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    18,095
    Quote Originally Posted by philamena View Post
    Marthtatex,
    You are so right about Brad being articulate. He's definitely more than a handsome face. I admire him for his dedication to New Orleans.
    My kinda man....if I had just been younger I just KNOW he would haven fallen for me and not Anniston/Angelina.

    Sigh. I should have gone on more Sierra Club outings.....or tried acting.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,942
    Every time a see a new movie or re-watch an old one, I fall in love with Brad all over again! And after watching his enthusiasm last night about this project and watching his face when he talked about his family - WOW. I have never been to N O but he has fallen in love with the place and the people. We all know we should go as "green" as we can. He doesn't have to do this to save money, he can buy whatever he wants, so you know he is really sincere. And although I am sure he has political favorites, I appreciate him trying to keep that out of the project. Should have, could have, would have - goes so far back as far as protecting the city it seems fruitless to go there. So, if we the people help with homes, someone must take on protection for the future.

    What a fine young man.
    Some people try to turn back their odometers.
    Not me! I want people to know why I look this way.
    I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

    Don't hold hate in your heart, it takes up too much room

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    18,095
    Has anyone seen the Assassination of Jesse James by.....

    Wondering if that's worth seeing.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    remotely
    Posts
    42,942
    I have only seen one BP movie and that was Troy. I thought it was a good movie. I think BP is doing a great thing in Nawlins'...It is a wonderful city with lots of history...

    Mr. Brad Pitt!

    You can choose to be bitter or better when handling your problems.


    My posts are just my opinion and for entertainment purposes only.
    Do not copy any of my post. All post are to remain here.



    Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)
    2/12/1968 -8/1992 RIP you are missed.




    http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
    If you have information about Kyron Horman, please call the Tip Line at 503-261-2847 or dial 911

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by philamena View Post
    Go Brad! The US govt has been more than a little lax in dealing with New Orleans.
    The much ravaged LA needed assistance 2 years ago.

    I agree totally where was the goverment when this happend
    Joann thank you for showing me all the beautiful things in this world especially yourself!!!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    18,095
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy2 View Post
    I agree totally where was the goverment when this happend
    And where are they now? New Orleans still sitting there like a trash heap is shameful for a great, powerful and rich country like we are.

    Oh, I forgot, we had a huge cyclone carrying billions of dollars to Halliburton and KBG, etc. Also enough "lost or missing" dollars to make New Orleans into the American Monaco!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Marthatex View Post
    And where are they now? New Orleans still sitting there like a trash heap is shameful for a great, powerful and rich country like we are.

    Oh, I forgot, we had a huge cyclone carrying billions of dollars to Halliburton and KBG, etc. Also enough "lost or missing" dollars to make New Orleans into the American Monaco!
    I recently went though New Orleans. New Orleans East is a dumphole. I couldn't see the ninth ward but I imagine it was the same. Exits are barred in a lot of places on I 10. I know Halliburton and KBG I am just getting familiar with and none of the songs sing true. These are mega million giants with a huge foothole that refocuses money to their drain.

    I also heard of a rape of an American female that worked for KBG who is ill gotten to speak as her contract disallows this. This happened in Iraq and there were American contractors who did this to her. I will find the site and post back.

    Here is the article.

    http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Story?id=3977702&page=1

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,940

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    18,095
    Quote Originally Posted by philamena View Post
    Thank heavens there are some visionaries among us (Pitt) -organized, informed, dedicated with follow through; GIVING; doesn't give a hoot what others think, and can quietly LEAD.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11,409
    Mississippi looks even worse than N.O. Such a shame to see those beautiful historical buildings in a rubble heap.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Marthatex View Post
    Thank heavens there are some visionaries among us (Pitt) -organized, informed, dedicated with follow through; GIVING; doesn't give a hoot what others think, and can quietly LEAD.
    Marthatex,
    Indeed.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by Marthatex View Post
    And where are they now? New Orleans still sitting there like a trash heap is shameful for a great, powerful and rich country like we are.

    Oh, I forgot, we had a huge cyclone carrying billions of dollars to Halliburton and KBG, etc. Also enough "lost or missing" dollars to make New Orleans into the American Monaco!
    Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Joann thank you for showing me all the beautiful things in this world especially yourself!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •