1146 users online (216 members and 930 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

The murder of Donald "Shorty" Shea

Donald "Shorty" Shea (September 18, 1933 – August 26, 1969) was a Hollywood stuntman, actor and victim of the Charles Manson murders. The location of his body was not discovered until 1977, nearly a decade after his death. Manson family leader Charles Manson and family members Tex Watson, Steve "Clem" Grogan and Bruce Davis were eventually convicted of murdering Shea.

In the video link contained in the above post, the two former Manson family members refer to the murder of Donald "Shorty" Shea. Here is a link to more information on him. They refer to Shorty having been dismembered and cut up into nine pieces. That was the rumor told at the time of his death. Shorty's body, however was not recovered until after 1977.

Bugliosi refers to the interview having taken place BEFORE the Manson trial and also states that Shorty's murder was unsolved. That means that the program in which the interview was included was made before 1977, because that is when Manson and others were actually convicted of Shorty's murder.

Note at the link that it was Shorty's murder in August 1969 that caused Barbara Hoyt (aka Barbara Rosenburg) to leave the ranch. Bugliosi states in his book that she ran away with Sherry Cooper.

It would be nice to know exactly when this video interview of Sherry Cooper was made. Because if it made. If after 14 November 1969, it would tend to rule out Sherry Cooper as being Sherry Doe. If made before 14 November 1969, it could have been a reason for her death, since she seems to be speaking out against Manson and even states that she thinks Manson would be killed if he were to be let out of jail.

The video does show her teeth well, and they seem to be more straight and less protruding than the sketch of Sherry Doe (Jane Doe number 59).

Source:

Donald "Shorty" Shea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LINK:

Donald "Shorty" Shea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by KateB; 04-29-2015 at 01:39 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

Connected Murders?

Here is a news article dated 24 November 1969, in which the writer speculates that 13 Los Angles area unsolved murders might be connected. Note that at the time, Tate and LaBianca murders, had not yet been tied to the Manson Family.

The "Sherry Doe" murder is mentioned in the second to last paragraph.

Could her murder be related to any of the others?

-----------------------------------
    13 ‘OVERKILLS’ ARE UNSOLVED

Monday, November 24th, 1969

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 24

– Unsolved murder is not a stranger to the Los Angeles area.

Since the beginning of the year there have been 13 brutal slayings, most of which have been called “senseless” or “thrill murders” by police. They are not what could be called ordinary murders – those committed for revenge, punishment or in fits of anger.

Authorities refuse to speculate on whether there is any connection between the 13 killings. The only apparent relation is that the murders were brutal – one of which was termed “overkills” by the county coroner – and they remain unsolved.

The murders range from the Benedict Canyon massacre of actress Sharon Tate and four other persons to the beating death of an unidentified young woman.

The latest occurred during the weekend. The mutillated bodies of a nude 19-year-old girl and a 15-year-old boy were discovered Saturday. The victims were identified as Dorren Gaul, Albany, N.Y., and James A. Sharp, Crestwood, Mo. The faces of Miss Gaul and Sharp had been so badly mutilated police at first believed they were wounded at point-blank range with a shotgun. The victims had been beaten to death.

The string of slayings began Jan. 1, when the body of Marina Elizabeth Habe, daughter of screenwriter Hans Habe and actress Eloise Hardt, was found in heavy brush off a mountain road in the Santa Monica Mountains. Police said she apparently had been abducted from the driveway of her mother’s home in West Hollywood. She had been stabbed to death.

On May 22, the body of Rose Tashman, 19, a former college student, was found in an isolated area in the Hollywood Hills. She had been raped and strangled. Police believe she had been abducted, from the Hollywood Freeway after she stopped her car at an offramp because of a flat tire.

The body of another young girl, Virginia Lynn Smith, 13, was found June 23 in a creek bed in a deserted canyon near her home in Claremont. She had been raped and strangled. Her nude body was found by two hikers. The vivacious brunette with blue eyes had been vice president of her class at school.

The mass murder of actress Sharon Tate and four other persons followed on the night of Aug. 8 or the morning of Aug. 9. The Hollywood names involved brought international publicity. Miss Tate, coffee fortune heiress Abigail Folger, men’s hair stylist Jay Sebring, Polish emigree Voityck Frokowsky and 18-year-old Steven Parent had been shot or stabbed to death. There were footprints in pools of blood about the house rented by Miss Tate and the word “Pig” as scrawled in blood on a door. The only main clue police have revealed is that amber-rimmed eyeglasses, believed to be those of the killer, were found at the scene.

The following night, on Aug. 10, the knife-slashed bodies of Mr. and Mrs. Leno A. LaBianca were found in their home in Los Angeles. The grisly scene was similar in some respects to that at the Benedict canyon home. Police theorized the slayings were the work of a “copy cat” killer.

On Nov. 16, the body of an unidentified woman, about 25, was found in a brush-covered ravine in the Hollywood Hills. Police said the woman had been slashed with a knife over most of her body.

The motives in all of the murders remain unclear and authorities admit that the longer time lapses the harder it may be to solve the crimes.

LINK:

http://www.cielodrive.com/archive/?p=707

An FYI, link below is to police report of raid on ranch. It lists all arrested and gives height of the girls.

http://truthontatelabianca.com/topic...h-raid-report/

This site also has a section for assumed murders by "family" and other deaths that may be tied to them.

Quote Originally Posted by branwynbreeze View Post
    An FYI, link below is to police report of raid on ranch. It lists all arrested and gives height of the girls.

http://truthontatelabianca.com/topic...h-raid-report/

This site also has a section for assumed murders by "family" and other deaths that may be tied to them.
    The site also indicates that the interview of Sherry Cooper and Danny DiCarlo was filmed around 1975.

http://truthontatelabianca.com/topic...ry-circa-1975/

So that pretty much nixes the theory of Sherry Cooper (AKA Simi Valley Sherry) being Sherry Doe.

Identity Swapping Practice...

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    The site also indicates that the interview of Sherry Cooper and Danny DiCarlo was filmed around 1975.

http://truthontatelabianca.com/topic...ry-circa-1975/

So that pretty much nixes the theory of Sherry Cooper (AKA Simi Valley Sherry) being Sherry Doe.
    You are probably correct in stating that the girl in the tape is not the unidentified murder victim. But this does not rule out the possibility that "Sherry Doe" might have been at the Manson ranch and might even have used the name Sherry Cooper or Simi Valley Sherry.

Members of the Manson "family" were known to swap identities and use stolen or forged ID cards all the time. All of them went by nicknames or aliases.

The murdered girl was identified by Ruby Pearl (a horse trainer at the ranch) as someone she saw at the ranch whom she knew as "Sherry". So that was probably the nickname she went by - whether or not it was her real name.

I may have missed it, but did the girl in the tape actually state that her real name was Sherry Cooper? Or did she admit to being "Simi Valley Sherry"?

The even bigger question would be did Bugliosi ever ask her about the unidentified murder victim?

Did he ever ask ANY of the Manson family members who she was or who killed her?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I may have missed it, but did the girl in the tape actually state that her real name was Sherry Cooper? Or did she admit to being "Simi Valley Sherry"?
    The title of the video indicates "Simi Valley Sherry", and the interviewer refers to them as "Sherry and Danny DiCarlo". In a different YouTube video of different segments of the same TV program, he refers to her as "Simi Valley Sherry". But I don't think she ever refers to herself by name. She does appear to be the same person as in B&W mugshot of "Sherry Cooper", although she is clearly a few years older in the video and her face is a little more filled out.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The even bigger question would be did Bugliosi ever ask her about the unidentified murder victim?

Did he ever ask ANY of the Manson family members who she was or who killed her?
    I've been wondering that as well.

I wonder what she is up to now. I am wondering that given her snarky comment about:
    "We've been through a couple of experiences since then that ... we're not going to talk about. I mean, you do something and you do it - and it's done - what can you do? It's done. - You going to snivel about it for another five years? - What can you say? - I'm sorry (laughing) - Big deal."

The operative words there are "since then" ("then" meaning the arrest of Manson, Atkins, Watson, Krenwinkel, and VanHouten). Sherry Doe was murdered after the arrest of those five. It makes me wonder if she was involved in Sherry Doe's murder.

Very creepy.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 06-04-2012 at 02:29 AM.

: bump :

Hopefully there is something in these tapes in question to lead to this young woman's true identity (and several of the other UIDs in this forum believed to be victims of the Manson family).

http://news.yahoo.com/judge-orders-m...015715451.html

death photo at link

Here is a pic of her, which was on the true crime :

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...gyojK7emc9KaBA

Quote Originally Posted by tierneysain View Post
    Here is a pic of her, which was on the true crime :

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...gyojK7emc9KaBA
    Thanks for the link, Tierneysain! She looks different than the sketches [IMO]. I wish that we could click on the original police bulletin to make it bigger so we could read what was said at the time.

is claude leigh smith's mugshot on charliemanson.com the only picture we have? i wish we could see her features better (and in particuler her ears) to compare her with sherry doe's picture on the link tierneysain sent. do you think LE are still in possession of the original mugshot? they probably are, right? and they probably also have other info such as height, weight, etc. that could be compared to sherry doe's.

i can see some resemblance in her general features but it's quite hard to say because of the mugshot quality. sometimes i just don't know anymore whether i'm seeing things or imagining them in the pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by Ninka View Post
    is claude leigh smith's mugshot on charliemanson.com the only picture we have? i wish we could see her features better (and in particuler her ears) to compare her with sherry doe's picture on the link tierneysain sent. do you think LE are still in possession of the original mugshot? they probably are, right? and they probably also have other info such as height, weight, etc. that could be compared to sherry doe's.

i can see some resemblance in her general features but it's quite hard to say because of the mugshot quality. sometimes i just don't know anymore whether i'm seeing things or imagining them in the pictures...
    I'm not really seeing it -- her chin and nose look different to me, but the photo is really dark, it's hard to tell.

Another website had photos of the area where Sherry Doe was found --

http://www.eviliz.com/2011/08/jane-d...e-358ufca.html

I agree, Ambercat. This isn't the same woman.

BTW, here's my recon of Sherry Doe.

Last edited by CarlK90245; 09-15-2014 at 06:22 PM.

wow, she looks alive.

Oh, I've wanted this poor girl's murder solved for years now. I go back and forth on my thoughts that she's a Manson family victim. Charlie tended to like keep mostly shorter girls and even seemed to like smaller guys around him. 5'9.5" is tall for a girl. There were a lot of killers besides the Manson family back then. They just got the most attention. I feel the cop on the case is right since he would know it best and not to assume they are responsible. If they are though I hope they apply the harshest punishment they can to who did it.
    Simmi Valley Sherri's quote meant that she and Danny had been committing some kind of scam in Canada where they would rip off stores. I don't believe they were ever charged for it. They married, had a child that was killed by a drunk driver and divorced. Its obvious they are drinking during that interview. I can't believe the disgusting way she talks about Shorty Shea.
    BTW Tex Watson the "changed man" and "born again christian" won't admit to killing Shea even though Grogan and Davis say that Tex was the main killer of Shea. Davis also says Bill Vance was there ( an ex-con friend of Charlies) and Larry Bailey (who took part in the Hawthorne Gun robbery shoot out with the police and then after he was paroled went on to help other inmates escape from prison. He actually pulled up to an unsuspecting officer trying to apprehend one of the escaped inmates rolled down his car window and pulled out a gun and fired at the officer so the inmate could get away) If Tex is really remorseful he would include Shea and Sharon's unborn baby in his victim count. I bet my bottom dollar there is nothing on the tapes that will clear anything up. He wouldn't even admit to killing Sharon, her baby, or carving War on Leno LaBianca for years. He let Susan and Pat take the blame for that. He still won't admit to killing Shorty Shea. IMO Tex was always looking out for himself so I refuse to get my hopes up that he admitted anything on the tapes.
    Barbara Hoyt and Bo Rosenberg are two different girls. He is a page with pictures of Hoyt http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/barbara-hoyt and heres some of BO http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/barbara-hoyt Heres another one of Bo I found she is in the second photo down. She is the girl with long dark wavy hair on the right.http://www.eviliz.com/2012/01/court-photos.html Please be careful of the tumblr site. It seems to be pro Charlie and that he's the victim in all this. Also, some insensitive people post crime scene photos of Sharon and Abigail. It did have a lot of photos I don't remember ever seeing and it is interesting/amusing to see them list their points.
    I'm sorry I didn't use quotes. I'm a dope when it come to posting messages. I can post a link to a picture. I respect you all thank you for all the hard work everyone does and I'm sure some of you already knew all this about the Family but I truly have OCD and I have to point it out. Plus I don't think the two Barbara's like being thought of as the same people. BTW that you to whoever posted the link to the heights. Charlie 5'7"???? I haven't laughed like that is months. I can't believe the police let that slide.
    I pray this beautiful young woman who's life was stolen from her gets identified and justice.

Has Renee Bruhl been suggested? She had connections to criminals from California according to a Post Tribune Article

Also Bruhl was from Illinois which has many coal mines....
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 09-15-2014 at 06:21 PM.
    "Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment."~ Dot Parker

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast