DSL outage affects customers in 9 state region.

gman20001969

Reaction score
Massive 9 state DSL outage for Bellsouth DSL customers.

From AJC In Atlanta, GA.

Internet through their DSL service for several hours Monday night because of an equipment problem, a company spokesman said.
Michael Coe, a spokesman for the San Antonio-based telecommunications company, said the digital subscriber line service was restored about 10 p.m. CST. He said the outage affected customers in Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Kentucky and Tennessee.
"The root cause of the disruption is still being investigated but appears to be an equipment impairment," Coe said in a statement.
Dave Burstein, editor of the industry newsletter DSL Prime, said broadband outages are not unusual.
"Broadband goes down much more often than telephone lines because they didn't build the system for the same level of reliability," Burstein said. "We do not know how often it happens, however, because they're not obligated to report it."
At the Internet forum DSLreports.com, people in several of the affected states posted reports of problems Monday night. Many said it appeared to be an issue with AT&T's domain name servers, which help direct Internet traffic to its destinations.
Every computer connected to the Internet is identified by a series of four numbers known as an Internet Protocol address, such as "165.1.59.220." Domain names allow Internet users to type in something like "ap.org" instead of the string of numbers to navigate to a Web site or send an e-mail. Domain name servers match the name to the equivalent numeric address.
Several users at DSLreports.com said they were able to access the Internet during the outage by changing settings so that their computers would use alternate domain name servers.
Burstein said an entire territory can be affected by a single point of failure, such as a disrupted domain name server, when the network doesn't have a backup for the server.

I'm laughing at this cause there's a comments section underneath the article. A few have said that the government should break up the monopoly that AT&T has over the Telecommunication world...

Can we say Telecommunications Act?

I'm laughing at this cause there's a comments section underneath the article. A few have said that the government should break up the monopoly that AT&T has over the Telecommunication world...

The Gov't broke up AT&T once... and now they're coming back! LOL!

lol, my husband accused me of not paying our bill when our internet was down Monday!

It's de ja vu all over again.

They already did that in the 80's, or have they forgotten?? It didn't take AT&T that long to rise to the top again. With AT&T Uverse laying fiberoptic cables nationwide, they'll soon have the cable TV/DSL/landline phone market tied up again. When it became available in the Bay Area people couldn't leave Comcast fast enough.

Thats what was going on!!!!! I was so mad I couldnt do any of my bills online or anything. lol

Yep, once IPTV comes out and the higher speed of 24 meg download, everyone will be switching over. Hopefully if you do loose service, you won't get Peter Parker in India. Or Alan Dale.

I say that cause one time I called customer service for my DSL, I got some guy in India who told me his name was Peter Parker. Last week I got Alan Dale. I'm still waiting for when I hear more popular names like Ron Jeremy...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back