1586 users online (344 members and 1242 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

VT - Rita Curran, 24, Burlington, 19 July 1971

Click here for VSP link

Victim was getting ready for bed. Left alone in unlocked apartment for 90 minutes. Discovered by roommate upon return home. Victim had been sexually assaulted and manually strangled, and beaten about the head/face after a violent struggle.

Respectfully,
    dark_shadows
    Last edited by bessie; 10-24-2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: removed bad link

Dear dark_shadows, I am trying to find out any information on Rita for you so please don not give up. I feel the websites that list her as a victim of Ted Bundy should not do so as we are unsure if he indeed killed her. It may take me a little while. I'm not doing so good today but I will continue to rack my brain for ideas and surf the web for anything that may give us an idea as to where to look for clues. Much Love and respect to you d_s, Susie

Quote Originally Posted by susie31023 View Post
    Dear dark_shadows, I am trying to find out any information on Rita for you so please don not give up. I feel the websites that list her as a victim of Ted Bundy should not do so as we are unsure if he indeed killed her. It may take me a little while. I'm not doing so good today but I will continue to rack my brain for ideas and surf the web for anything that may give us an idea as to where to look for clues. Much Love and respect to you d_s, Susie
    My dearest Susie,
    I am sorry that you are not doing good. Prayers are with you Susie.
    I appreciate your help so much.
    So much Love and Respect for you,
    dark_shadows

Quote Originally Posted by dark_shadows View Post
    My dearest Susie,
    I am sorry that you are not doing good. Prayers are with you Susie.
    I appreciate your help so much.
    dark_shadows
    My dear d_s,thank you for your kind words. You have done so much for others I feel you deserve as much help as I can give you on this case. Much Love and Respect to you my dear dark_shadows, Susie

Quote Originally Posted by susie31023 View Post
    My dear d_s,thank you for your kind words. You have done so much for others I feel you deserve as much help as I can give you on this case. Much Love and Respect to you my dear dark_shadows, Susie
    My dearest Susie,
    The words of your heart mean alot to me and I appreciate you,
    dark_shadows

Do you all know anything about the roommate?

My dearest Christine,
    I will call my aunt on thursday and ask her. I will post the info thursday night.

dark_shadows

Quote Originally Posted by dark_shadows View Post
    My dearest Christine,
    I will call my aunt on thursday and ask her. I will post the info thursday night.

dark_shadows
    I look forward to seeing what you can find out. I am interested in the roommate. Start from the inside and work your way out.

Adding working links

New England Teacher Murdered
    July 20, 1971

Many believe Rita was a victim of Ted Bundy.

Rita Curran, a 24-year-old elementary school teacher and part-time motel maid, was murdered in her apartment on July 19, 1971, in Burlington, Vermont; she had been strangled, bludgeoned and raped. The location of the motel where she worked (adjacent to the Elizabeth Lund Home for Unwed Mothers) and similarities to known Bundy crime scenes led retired FBI agent John Bassett to propose him as a suspect. No evidence firmly places Bundy in Burlington on that date, but municipal records note that a person named "Bundy" was bitten by a dog that week and long stretches of Bundy's time—including the summer of 1971—remain unaccounted for. Curran's murder remains unsolved.
    http://www.crimetv.com/page/people/s.../ted-bundy/845

https://www.facebook.com/TheTearsOfL...70340363009599

http://books.google.com/books?id=sWP...murder&f=false

http://www.epubbud.com/read.php?g=9JKJLYVK&p=169&two=1

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

I have long thought she could be a Bundy victim. Similar to the sorority house murders he did, plus he did go to Vermont along about that time.

Quote Originally Posted by dogperson View Post
    I have long thought she could be a Bundy victim. Similar to the sorority house murders he did, plus he did go to Vermont along about that time.
    I agree, and many who have looked into the case have thought so. Too much of a coincidence, if you ask me.

In memory of James Mazzara
    1958 - 1978

Police: Modern tools help in 1971 unsolved killing

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...rran/87682744/

An investigation into the 1971 killing of Burlington second-grade teacher Rita Curran is getting a boost from modern techniques, and police say they are making progress in efforts to find out who killed her.

Burlington Deputy Police Chief Shawn Burke said much of the evidence collected in the case has been re-examined with modern techniques during the past several years, and "uniquely, there are still witnesses and people of interest" who remain alive.

"It is a case where we have been running down some active leads," said Burke, who would not elaborate.
    For a time, investigators thought Curran could have been a victim of the notorious serial killer Ted Bundy, who was born in Burlington and was known to be in the area the summer Curran was killed. But Vermont investigators spoke with him before his 1989 execution in Florida and discarded him as a suspect, Leahy said.