Identified! Technology used by NCMEC helps ID child missing since 1852

Gina_M

Reaction score
Website
www.findmywayhome.org
A computerized facial reconstruction created by the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) was recently used to help identify a mystery youth who died in 1852. It is one of several modern-day technologies that are used by NCMEC’s Cold Case Unit to identify the remains of long-term missing children from around the United States.

The Smithsonian Institution, which frequently works with NCMEC to identify the remains of unidentified missing children from modern times, contacted the center as part of its efforts to determine the identity of William T. White, whose body was found in an iron coffin by construction workers digging beneath a gas line in Washington, D.C. in 2005. NCMEC created a facial reconstruction of White, who was about 15 when he died 155 years ago. The youth was identified last week.

More at link:
http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/NewsEventServlet?LanguageCountry=en_US&PageId=3407

It's be nice to know exactly how he was identified. Who recognized him from 1852?

Through a family tree, I think

Oh yes, I'm sure. I'd just love to know the exact story of how it all came about. I'm an avid genealogy researcher and I would really, really like to know the details of this story. I find it very fascinating :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3
Back