Identified! IA - Mount Ayr, Skeletal remains in field, Dec'07 - Luis Fernandez

Is there anyone from the area that has any news on this. i can't seem to find an update?

Is there anyone from the area that has any news on this. i can't seem to find an update?

I am in Iowa and have heard nothing. I think I will email our local news channel(I have had good luck in doing that before). According to the local news channel, the remains are at the Iowa DCI crime lab in Ankeny which is three minutes from my house. I have been dying to hear more about this!

Has there been any update on this? I have searched but can't find anything new on this.

Thanks

Latest update:
One piece of the murder mystery in the death of an unidentified person in Ringgold county fell in place last week with the arrest of Edward Eugene Gray Jr., 40, of College Springs on charges of first degree murder.

Hunters found the remains of a body December 3, 2007 located along 200th Street in section 27 of Liberty township.

Details of an autopsy released in May said that the victim was a Caucasian or Hispanic male 5'3" to 5'6" tall.

The body was found with a pair of DVS shoes, Tommy Hilfiger jean shorts and a maroon hooded sweatshirt and the victim had a "Lord of the Rings" ring on his finger.

Papers filed in Ringgold county district court this week charge that on or about May 1, 2007 the still -unidentified victim was killed by Gray with premeditation and/or while participating in a forcible felony.

More at link:
http://www.valleynewstoday.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19764111&BRD=2703&PAG=461&dept_id=555139&rfi=6

I wish the local newstations wouldn't let this story die, but for some reason, it hasn't gotten much attention. :confused: I live in the area and ususally unidentifieds are big news, but right from the start, it only got a gloss over. I'ts nice to see that there are other persons out there who keep looking.
It's a shame they don't have a hair color to release, but here is one I have found who could be a possibility.http://www.nsp.state.ne.us/missingpersons/Subject.cfm?vCONTROL=9685263

Found this report on him. Didn't see him listed on doe network or Iowa State UID though. This report says the ring was an Elf/Lord of the Rings design. He may have been an on-line player of the game.

https://identifyus.org/report.php?p=individual&i=1870

In the report it states an individual with some "mongoloid admixture", what does that mean? Just curious if that would be something specific to help identify this individual.

In the report it states an individual with some "mongoloid admixture", what does that mean? Just curious if that would be something specific to help identify this individual.

Probably should copy & paste definition as I know I'll slaughter this....but mongoloid refers to physical characteristics specific to races originating from central and eastern Asia. Eye shape, cheekbone structure, nose structure etc. Admixture is just as it sounds...mixture of races.

From what I remember from a Native American archaeology course I took recently, think this relates to the individual who displays features that might be typical of Asian, Native American, or ven Hispanic populations. It is also an antiquated term, which has thankfully passed out of use, for describing someone with Downs Syndrome.

Your post reminded me that I could post info here now. Sent it to christine2448 earlier due to difficulty getting/staying on site. Didn't want to do what I just did....forget. LOL Here it is:

Charles Jason Thunderhorse

Missing: 10/20/2007
Height: 5'6"
Eyes: Brown
Race: Pacific Islander
Age Now: 17
Sex: Male
Weight: 180 lbs
Hair: Black
Missing From:
Alexandria, Virginia, USA
Details:
Charles was last seen on October 20, 2007. He may travel to South Dakota.

ANYONE HAVING INFORMATION SHOULD CONTACT
Virginia Missing Children's Clearinghouse
1-800-822-4453

Alexandria Police Department 703-838-4444

NO PHOTO

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/missing_c...horse-charles%

-------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------

Case Information
UDRS Number: 1870
Case Number: 07 SME 557
NCIC Number: N/A
Date Found: 2007-12-03 15:00:00
Date Entered: 2008-05-28 11:45:00
Date Modified: 2008-10-21 09:34:00
GPS Found: N/A
Address Found: 200th Street
Liberty Township, section #27
NE of Mount Ayr, IA
Ringgold County

Demographics and Circumstances
Estimated Age: Adult - Pre 30
Minimum Age: 18 years
Maximum Age: 30 years
Race: Unsure
Ethnicity: Other
Sex: Male
Weight (lbs.): 0, Cannot Estimate
Height (inch): 66, Estimated
Condition: Partial Skeleton
Probable Year of Death: 2007
Est. Postmortem Interval: 3-12 Months

DNA Profile Status: Complete - mtDNA Profile available in FBI NMPDD
Circumstances of Death: On December 3, 2007 hunters discovered human
skeletal remains in a farm field located approximately 4 miles
northeast of Mount Ayr, Iowa. Postmortem scavenging and damage of
the bones associated with the taphonomic environment was evident.
The remains were completely skeletonized and trauma was noted during
the forensic autopsy and anthropologic examinations. The remains
were determined to be those of a young caucasian adult male with
some mongoloid admixture.
The remains are currently unidentified.

https://identifyus.org/report.php?p=individual&i=1870

For some reason Charles is only listed on VA site. A Pacific Islander may well be of a mongoloid admixture.

Info on both Charles & UID seems to be limited to what's here. Chance may be slim they are one & same....but chance is a chance. :)

Click for Anderson's to be on AMW

I think that mixture would be maybe white and asian mix.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/07/database-can-crack-missing-person-cases-_-if-used/

<snip>

Among them was Luis Fernandez, who had been missing for nearly a year before his family went to police in 2008. Shields didn't have a lot on Fernandez, a known gang member who'd been in and out of jail - only gender, race, height, weight, age and some data on his tattoos.

It proved to be enough. Just a few weeks later, similarities were spotted with the unidentified remains of a homicide victim found in a farm field in Iowa in 2007. In January, a lab informed Shields it had a DNA match - and that he could break the news to Fernandez' family.

From April 2014:

http://www.mtayrnews.com/82327/2346/gray-verdict

Edward Eugene Gray, Jr., originally of Clarinda, was found guilty of one count of voluntary manslaughter, a Class C felony; one count of conspiracy to deliver a controlled substance, a Class B felony and one count of first degree robbery, a Class B felony, in fifth judicial court proceedings held recently in Mount Ayr...

Originally charged with first degree murder, Gray pled guilty to the lesser charge of voluntary manslaughter on April 10... The manslaughter plea carries a penalty of incarceration for a term not to exceed 10 years and restitution to Fernandez&#8217;s heirs in the amount of $150,000...

The indictment stated the victim had been driven to a remote area by Gray and Straight for a drug deal. The victim was then murdered and his body dragged to an area with trees and grass for concealment.

In September 2010, Collins Straight was sentenced to 59 years after pleading guilty to his part in the murder:

http://www.mtayrnews.com/editionvie...34c&Page=1717f983-904e-4461-b805-0f638d5d41f4

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back