1563 users online (345 members and 1218 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

IN - Jack Obenchain, 91, Indianapolis, 3 Dec 2007

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=7458273

6 Dec 07

A man on a mission to make deliveries on time is now missing. He's a father and grandfather, and he's 91-years-old.

Jack Obenchain, a part-time courier for Mears Machine in Avon, was last seen Monday afternoon in another state, far from his last delivery.

His granddaughter, Nancy Bray Boggs said "we're very concerned. It's unlike him. We're a close family and we keep in touch."

Jack's boss, Darrell Mackey said Jack made two deliveries Monday morning, but never showed up for a third, a regular stop of his on the city's east side.

Mackey said, "Jack had been there several times before. He had familiar routes and he knew them all."

He suspects instead of taking I-70 East and getting off at the Post Road exit, Jack continued on I-70 east. The family later learned that at 4:30 Monday afternoon, police stopped Jack in western Ohio for reckless driving.

Boggs said Jack told the officer he was lost and trying to read his map. Unaware of any other problems, Boggs said the officer evidently tried to help with directions and sent Jack on his way.

The family meantime finally reached Jack on his cell phone around 6:00 p.m. Monday. The connection was bad, the conversation brief. Boggs said Jack indicated he was close to home and would see them soon.

Subsequent calls went unanswered.

Boggs is very worried. "We think some sudden medical condition caused this. It's so unlike him. He didn't have a memory problem, was never disoriented before."

more at link

pic

Spotted in Huber Heights OH

http://www.tcnewsnet.com/main.asp?Se...ticleID=146039

11 Dec 07

A missing 91-year old man was spotted in Huber Heights on Monday at the Elder Beerman store and on Sunday at the Waffle House.

Clifford E. (C.E. or Jack) Obenchain is five feet 11 inches tall and 185 pounds. He has gray hair and glasses that darken in the light.

He was driving a 1999 Navy blue Chevrolet Suburban with some damage to the right side door and the quarter panel. The Indiana license plate number is 786692A.

Obenchain is still employed and has been driving as a delivery person out of Avon, Ind. for the past 25 years. Avon is 20 minutes west of Indianapolis. Obenchain made two of three deliveries in a company vehicle on Monday, Dec. 3 and has never made the third delivery. He was first reported missing on Tuesday, Dec. 4 when he didn't show up for work. Before being reported missing on Dec. 4, he had been pulled over by law enforcement officers in Bellefontaine for erratic driving, but told an officer he was trying to read a map while driving. He has also been spotted on Rt. 23 north in Delaware and on Rt. 36 in Urbana. The route he drives includes routes 36, 40, 70 and 235.

"We think he may have had some type of medical condition (perhaps a mild stroke) that's affecting his memory," said Jenny Mears, a friend of the family. "He's real proud and wouldn't ask anybody for help."

Mears said a $5000 reward is being offered for the safe return of Obenchain.

If anyone spots Obenchain, call Sgt. Chris Kash of the Huber Heights Police Division at 233-1565.

I hope they can track him somehow with that cell phone.

Found deceased--so very sad

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...AL05/712170433

17 Dec 07

Despite the efforts of people his family never met, the search for 91-year-old Clifford “Jack” Obenchain ended today the way no one wanted.

The body of the Pittsboro resident, missing since Dec. 3, was found in a creek in rural Jay County, northeast of Muncie.

How or why Obenchain ended up there likely may remain a mystery, but his family is grateful to have found him.

much more at link

Good heavens, what a tragic ending. I'm so sorry for his family but I'm sure glad they found him.

RIP Jack.

Lightbulb

Thankyou, I was wondering about Jack and looking for information, and found your update. This is a sad ending, but his family may take comfort in time that Jack went out doing what he loved and lived - Driving and working. What a great legend and a bit of an inspiration, but sad that he got a little confused and that obviously led to him going missing. I am very sorry for his family, and very proud of strong Jack...

I only hope I make it to 91 still driving my own car. What a blessing his independence was.

Prayers for the family.

91 years old

I am so sad for this family. It sounds like this man was just trying to enjoy his years.
    My grandmother is 91, and God love her, she is still living alone and taking care of herself. She just moved into an adult community last year, and that was only because she missed the company. My grandfather died 10 years ago, and she was lonely.