So About Drew Peterson's Childhood/Family History

thelmadawg

Reaction score
I'm curious. We've heard quite a bit about Stacy's family & background. What do we know about his family & background. Stable environment? Father in the picture? Etc.

The only comment I have heard so far from his mother sounded as though it was scripted by Scott Peterson's mother. To pharaphrase: He would never hurt anyone -- Shame on Stacy for leaving. Precious boy, imperfect wife!

Just wondering about Drew Peterson's psychology and from "wence" it came. Hopefully some of you sleuthers have more info.

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere else... I'm behind in reading all the posts and I'm trying to catch up.

But I was watching the news yesterday and was surprised (or not) to hear DP talk about how meticulous (sp?) his mother was in cleaning her house and how his dad liked everything just a certain way. He said when his dad got out of bed to brush his teeth, his mom would rush to make the bed before he was done. Sounded to me like his father ran a tight ship -- his mom basically sounded like the perfect housekeeper/maid.

Poor Stacy, as if it wasn't bad enough to have a uber controlling husband -- then add in the mother-in-law (and her "perfect" son story)... whew, that would make anybody ask for a divorce monthly. :mad:

Well he has a step brother so his mother remarried at some point, I haven't seen anything mentioned about his father so don't know if he's living or dead. I wonder if he was raised by the step-father or his bio father?
I wonder also if the family thought it to be unusual for Drew to have been married 4 times, divorced 3 or would this have been more the norm?

1 of his sons was married last summer, can you imagine the poor young woman now who has him for a father-in-law!! I'd bet money that she would have felt uneasy around him and he would be the type who would be learing at her etc.

VB

So, we still know very little about him. A living mother, elderly. An unknown bio father and a step father.

Peterson's whole persona is swaggering, cocky, in your face, controlling, and devious.

My guess? If you scratched the glib surface, there would be some interesting family tales to tell.

Does he have aunts, uncles and cousins? I'm thinking when all is said and done relatives who are a little farther away may be more forthcoming about what the family is really like.

VB

Does he have aunts, uncles and cousins? I'm thinking when all is said and done relatives who are a little farther away may be more forthcoming about what the family is really like.

VB

Amen. I'm surprised the media hasn't done a little investigating on this angle. While it may not solve the case, it might help to further a psychological profile on this man.

Has the stepbrother, Paul?, spoken out at all?

Amen. I'm surprised the media hasn't done a little investigating on this angle. While it may not solve the case, it might help to further a psychological profile on this man.

Has the stepbrother, Paul?, spoken out at all?

Paul is Drews brother. Tom is Drews stepbrother.

Admittedly I haven't read everything so hopefully this isn't a retread thread. Several years ago I was active here (dunno what happened to my post count, maybe a site upgrade?) but we researched Scott Peterson's childhood and his upbringing in depth.

What made SP a sociopath? We delved deep.

Now in reading the esteemed Greybeard's and the always thought-provoking posts of ThoughtFox, I began wondering ... how was Drew Peterson raised? Was he the darling of the family--doted on, babied--saved from his every failure by his blinded parents?

Or perhaps he was terribly abused as a youngster, thus becoming devoid of conscience?

Drew Peterson appears to have many of the same sociopathic traits exhibited by SP.

What do we know of his early life?

wow, I remember reading the Laci Peterson threads here when the investigation, arrest and trial were happening. I also remember Greybeard, Tfox and Greybeard. How exciting to read your post again.

As far as D. Peterson, I haven't read anything about his childhood though I remember much 'sleuthing' was done to find information about S.P.'s childhood, school years and his early employment.

I'll try to do some searching about DP this weekend.

Well, we know at some point there was at least one divorce and remarriage, right? Peterson/Morphey

Just from the little we've heard from his mom: "Little DrewP Can Do No Wrong" and "Everyone Else Is Crazy But Not My Little DrewP." (Where have we heard that before?!)

Hi, Tennisfool! *waves*

I think this is a good time to look into Drew's past and family life, now that we know about his troubled stepbrother, Morphey. I think Drew may have been the "successful" son, while Morphey was the one who couldn't cut it in life. But somewhere, Drew learned to be violent and to blame women for his problems, just like Scott P. These guys don't grow up in a vacuum.

Here is the article in which Drew's mother said she was "ashamed" of Stacy for somehow ruining their family. Yep - blame the victim. She seems to think that with each marriage, the fact that the women were younger was somehow to blame, instead of anything Drew actually did:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/peterson/658854,CST-NWS-drew20.article

. . . "I would tell her I'm ashamed of her for putting the family through this," Morphey said. "She knows where she is."

In a lengthy interview, Morphey, 79, spoke about how heartbreaking she finds the insinuation that her son would harm anyone. Stacy's family believes the young mother would never have left her two children and fear she is dead.

"I could swear on a Bible that he would never hurt anyone at any time," Morphey said. "I'm proud he's my son and I feel so bad he's got to go through all this because of her. She was just too young." There is a 30-year age difference between Drew and Stacy Peterson.

On Monday morning, Morphey watched her son's ex-wife Carol Brown on ''Good Morning America'' instead of Peterson and his attorney on the "Today" show.

~~~snip~~~

Carol Brown, Peterson's first wife, appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America." She said Peterson was attentive during their marriage and a good father to their two sons. "This is very unbelievable," she said. "In the beginning we had a normal relationship. We did things together," said Brown. He didn't like her to go out in the evenings with girlfriends, but Brown did not indicate she thought that was unreasonable.

"I did discover that he was having an affair. I guess that was the beginning when we started being separated," said Brown.

Asked if her ex-husband was capable of murder, she replied: "The Drew that I knew, would never expect that."

Morphey said Monday that Brown was a "lovely girl" who spoke the truth about her husband on morning television.

"They got married so young," Morphey said. Drew Peterson and Carol Brown married when she was still in high school and he was a recent graduate. "That's why that didn't last. I wish he would have stayed married to her forever."

Morphey said she didn't know anything about allegations of adultery that Peterson's former wives have leveled against him.

"I can't picture him doing anything to hurt anyone," she said.

Morphey said she has lost weight over the last three weeks and is sick to her stomach over the idea that her son, a former police officer and military veteran, had anything to do with his third wife's death and fourth wife's disappearance.

"All of this is not necessary," she said. "She didn't have to walk out and leave everybody stranded and not knowing what to do. All she has to do is call and say she's fine."

To me, Mrs. Morphey just saw what she wanted to see. When you read the details of the marriages, all the wives say exactly the same things - he was controlling and wouldn't let them go out with friends; he committed adultery on all of them; he got angry when they said they were going to leave.

Stacy was his fourth wife, yet Mom acts as if she never heard any allegations against her son. Deep denial.

I would love to know more about his childhood. I'll start digging around.

Great thread. I'm always interested in what kind of upbringing may have contributed to creating people like Drew. Or was he just born a bad seed?

Well I've been waiting for this thread to pop up. We did dig deep into SP's childhood and IIRC we discovered JP was as much in denial as Drew's mom is. It seems we had much more to go on in Scott's situation however. I would love to know what happened between the first marriage and the second to make him do such a flip. I mean, I'm sure the violence and controlling nature have always been inside of him. I'd just like to know if there was an event we could attribute the change to. Wasn't it the first wife who's said this is not the Drew she knows? Something had to flip the switch inside of him. Perhaps something on the job? I'd love to know.

It was mentioned his first wife had a miscarriage. This could have affected him adversely. Also, when was he in the military?

Thank you for the links, ThoughtFox. I'm going to spend some time soon sifting through that first one--there are a lot of informational nuggets there.

And I'm left wondering about Drew's early childhood. My sleuthy time is limited but I have great suspicions that disfunction played a major role in his upbringing.

ps: did I read this right--that Stacy had a sister who died very young named Lacy?

She then named her daughter Lacy? Just wow. Change the Y to an I and it's wild.

Well I've been waiting for this thread to pop up. We did dig deep into SP's childhood and IIRC we discovered JP was as much in denial as Drew's mom is. It seems we had much more to go on in Scott's situation however. I would love to know what happened between the first marriage and the second to make him do such a flip. I mean, I'm sure the violence and controlling nature have always been inside of him. I'd just like to know if there was an event we could attribute the change to. Wasn't it the first wife who's said this is not the Drew she knows? Something had to flip the switch inside of him. Perhaps something on the job? I'd love to know.

I have read that some personality disorders and other mental illnesses sometimes don't manifest themselves until early adulthood and get progressively worse with age.

Susan

Yes, Tennisfool, you sure are right on that one. Just look at how he's gone from the threatening the wife about making her death look accidental to going through with it in another marriage.
And SS mentioned the miscarriage with the first wife, that could trigger control issues having something so devastating happen which you have zero control over. I really wonder about his mother. JP's mothering and ability to detach played, imo, a huge role in SP's ability to detach himself from 'Laci's baby". I think there's something with either DP's mother or father which gave him this anger towards women. My guess is it's something of the mother. But what? I have no idea.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back