Similar Cases: What Can We Learn From Them?

SeriouslySearching

Reaction score
Recently, I have noticed things Drew has either said or done are popping out to me on other cases. It seems almost as if Drew took notes from other cases of wives having mysteriously vanished into thin air while the men remain free for lack of evidence against them.

The women have young children, had reported to friends, family, LE they were being abused verbally, physically, or both, their intention was to file or had filed for a divorce, and they have left no trace behind.

The similarities to Stacy's disappearance are evident. Are any clues lurking among these cases? Is there anything that could help LE find Stacy?

These aren't the only cases. There are many more. They all seem to have several common threads.

Margaret Haddican-McEnroe - missing

This case details a young mother who had mentioned a divorce and vanished leaving her 6 month old child at the home alone. The husband claimed she was experiencing Post-Partem Depression and took $11,000.00 from the home. She left wearing her pajamas leaving her car, phone, wallet, leg braces, etc. He refuses to take a lie detector test. He was the last person in contact with Margaret.

Lisa Stebic - MISSING

This case details a young mother who mentioned a divorce and vanished leaving behind two children who had been sent to the store by their father, Craig Stebic. The husband, the last person to knowingly see Lisa,
claimed she must have left with another person leaving behind her car while he was in the backyard doing landscaping. It is unclear, but a neighbor is believed to have made the call reporting Lisa missing instead of her husband. Craig refuses to take a lie detector test. Craig still has the children in his possession and withdrew his divorce petition after Lisa went missing.

Recently, I have noticed things Drew has either said or done are popping out to me on other cases. It seems almost as if Drew took notes from other cases of wives having mysteriously vanished into thin air while the men remain free for lack of evidence against them.

The women have young children, had reported to friends, family, LE they were being abused verbally, physically, or both, their intention was to file or had filed for a divorce, and they have left no trace behind.

The similarities to Stacy's disappearance are evident. Are any clues lurking among these cases? Is there anything that could help LE find Stacy?

These aren't the only cases. There are many more. They all seem to have several common threads.

Margaret Haddican-McEnroe - missing

This case details a young mother who had mentioned a divorce and vanished leaving her 6 month old child at the home alone. The husband claimed she was experiencing Post-Partem Depression and took $11,000.00 from the home. She left wearing her pajamas leaving her car, phone, wallet, leg braces, etc. He refuses to take a lie detector test. He was the last person in contact with Margaret.

Lisa Stebic - MISSING

This case details a young mother who mentioned a divorce and vanished leaving behind two children who had been sent to the store by their father, Craig Stebic. The husband, the last person to knowingly see Lisa,
claimed she must have left with another person leaving behind her car while he was in the backyard doing landscaping. It is unclear, but a neighbor is believed to have made the call reporting Lisa missing instead of her husband. Craig refuses to take a lie detector test. Craig still has the children in his possession and withdrew his divorce petition after Lisa went missing.

SS, I have wondered whether DP got the incentive, if you will, to go ahead with the murder of Stacy after the Stebic case became public. He kept watching and waiting. Seeing no body being found and CS walking around a free man. Could he have been boosted to go ahead with his own plan? I think it's entirely posible.
The big difference to me between CS and DP is DP is losing it mentally. He's exhibiting increasinly erratic behavior and that is part of what is doing him in. CS is much more controlled. Which is def. disturbing in it's own right.
I do think you're onto something here.

My first thought when I heard about the barrel of chlorine was Joe T. and his client Melanie. I think that was her name. Her hubby was found in 3 suitcases in the bay, NY/NJ.
It was suspected she cut him up in the bathroom and used large amounts of clorine to flush/clean the drains.
:confused:

Recently, I have noticed things Drew has either said or done are popping out to me on other cases. It seems almost as if Drew took notes from other cases of wives having mysteriously vanished into thin air while the men remain free for lack of evidence against them...<snipped, with added emphasis>

Add to that, he is/was a police officer who KNOWS what kind of "evidence" they'll need to make an arrest, etc. IMO this was a very well thought out premeditated murder. And I certainly hope they will try it as such when he is arrested.

When I started this thread, I first titled it Drew's Case Studies then I thought better of it.

Being in LE, he had the opportunity to discuss various cases with fellow officers and gain information/theories on various investigations. While I am not saying he did use the cases as a "blueprint" for what he has done, he could have gotten ideas from them.

I think we need to glean what we can from other investigations to try to figure out what ideas he could have come up with to use for his own wives. (Are there cases similar to Kathleen's, too?)

I have heard repeatedly there is no such thing as a "perfect" crime, yet these men seem to be proving that theory wrong. This is very troubling in every aspect.

When I started this thread, I first titled it Drew's Case Studies then I thought better of it.

Being in LE, he had the opportunity to discuss various cases with fellow officers and gain information/theories on various investigations. While I am not saying he did use the cases as a "blueprint" for what he has done, he could have gotten ideas from them.

I think we need to glean what we can from other investigations to try to figure out what ideas he could have come up with to use for his own wife.

Did he work in the Homicide division at any point? Or does anyone know? Even if he didn't, coffee break discussions are rampant at most any police station.

Did he work in the Homicide division at any point? Or does anyone know? Even if he didn't, coffee break discussions are rampant at most any police station.
I am not aware of him working Homicide, but as you mentioned...officers do talk among themselves about various cases. He has 29 years of being "buddies" with many of the officers which, I would have to assume, include some in the Homicide division.

Great thread!

My thoughts are with Tara Lynn Grant's family.
No one will ever forget what her husband did to her.

His confession remains unbelievable to me to this day ....
http://www.centralmediaserver.com/wxyz/wxyzconfession.pdf

Again, another storage container used to take the body out of the house. I wonder if Drew did something similar as far as dismembering Stacy's body? If he did, the remains could be scattered all over Illinois.

Here is another case I ran across:

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) - On a late summer day, Nina Reiser shopped for groceries, dropped her two children off at her estranged husband's house in a quiet section of the Oakland hills, and vanished. Prosecutors say there's no great mystery about what happened; they believe they can prove she was killed by her husband, Hans Reiser, even though her body hasn't been found. But the defense has maintained it's not proven Nina Reiser is dead, let alone slain, and she may very well be secretly living in her native Russia.
~snip~
Seven-year-old Rory Reiser later told police he never saw his mother leave the house. But during a pretrial hearing, the boy testified that he saw his mother drive away.

http://www.wset.com/news/stories/1107/469805.html

There are other cases involving children where because of no body or no foul play being determined have gone unsolved. Here is one from coincidently from Bolingbrook, IL. No one has ever been charged and it has been ten years. Her name is Rachel Mellon. Since she went missing, her stepfather has been charged with domestic violence against her mother and another child.

Rachel was reported missing on Jan. 31, 1996. She had stayed home from middle school because of a sore throat. Her stepfather told police she went to take a nap and was discovered missing by a younger sibling about an hour later.

In December 2004, Vince Mellon, now of Joliet, pleaded guilty to domestic battery for hitting his wife, who is Rachel's mother, and one of their children. He was sentenced to 60 days in jail and was ordered to undergo anger management and domestic violence counseling.

http://www.findmissingkids.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=243

These cases were brought up by a poster (Lorie) at FSP, but the thread was locked. The most interesting one was the woman found dead in a bathtub with water with no signs of foul play in Lisle, IL (6 miles from BB).

Article 208 of 1452{FOUNDITEMS:-0}, Article ID: 0000615330
Published on December 3, 1999, Sun Publications (IL)
Complete Article, 724 words In Brief

Lisle woman found dead at area motel Cook County sheriff's police are conducting a death investigation after a woman was found dead in the bathtub of a motel in an unincorporated area near Countryside.

The body was found about 4 p.m. Oct. 9 by an employee of the Countryside Motel, at 6401 Joliet Road in unincorporated Lyons Township, according to county police spokeswoman Penny Mateck. The body was found in a tub of water, and there were no indications of foul play, Mateck

Article 17 of 240{FOUNDITEMS:-0}, Article ID: 11C9660F69C07230
Published on October 12, 2007, Sun, The: Lisle (IL)
Complete Article, 349 words

Article 31 of 35{FOUNDITEMS:-0}, Article ID: PFS0925165
Published on July 11, 2001, Naperville Sun, The (IL)
Complete Article, 217 words

Bolingbrook Police Dept. -- (630) 226-8600 Monday, Dec. 22 <BR>&bull; A 33-year-old Bolingbrook woman committed suicide when she shot herself in the abdomen in a parking lot near Wal-Mart, 200 S. Bolingbrook Drive.

Police said the woman drove her car near the side of the building at about 7:45 a.m., got out and shot herself with a handgun. No one witnessed the shooting, police said, but people near the scene heard the gunshot. Sunday, Dec. 28

Article 52 of 1452{FOUNDITEMS:-0}, Article ID: 0000464882
Published on January 7, 1998, Sun Publications (IL)
Complete Article, 387 words

Police investigate death in Bolingbrook

By: Janet Prasad
Police on Tuesday were investigating the killing of a woman in her Bolingbrook home.

Bolingbrook police received a 911 call at 7:27 a.m. Tuesday about a possible death at a house on the 100 block of Avondale Court. Police and paramedics who responded reported that a woman was found dead in the house.

Police did not release the woman's name Tuesday evening pending notification of family members, said Bolingbrook Sgt. Don Malloy.

The woman was found dead by another family

Article 31 of 35{FOUNDITEMS:-0}, Article ID: PFS0925165
Published on July 11, 2001, Naperville Sun, The (IL)
Complete Article, 217 words

http://findstacypeterson.com/forum/index.php?topic=1972.0

Other cases demonstrate that without a body or significant inculpatory evidence of a crime, similar cases often go unresolved.

LE have been searching for Stacy's body but have not found it, nor have they located an apparent crime scene as regards their suspicion that Stacy was murdered.

If authorities can't obtain the necessary evidence from a crme scene or find Stacy's body, then the only other likely source of inculpatory evidence in this case would be testimony by Drew's children to the Grand Jury.

Anybody watching 48 hrs? The story is about Ron and Susan Wright- I think it is a rerun. I would be interested in your thoughts comparing that case with this one.

Anybody watching 48 hrs? The story is about Ron and Susan Wright- I think it is a rerun. I would be interested in your thoughts comparing that case with this one.
It's not on out here yet for another couple of hours. If I haven't already seen Boston Legal's re-run will watch it.

I think when you put the collective missing cases together, a pattern emerges about the men involved in each one. In turn, within the parallels can be possible clues. We don't want any of these cases to go unsolved and if there is anything in one case to point to possible places to look for the women, it should be examined.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back