1104 users online (219 members and 885 guests)  

Websleuths News

CA - Sylvia Helen Carlson, 39, Santa Monica, 12 Dec 1977

Thirty Years Ago... Unfortunately, not much information available.

Sylvia Helen Carlson
    Missing since December 12, 1977 from Santa Monica, Los Angeles County, California.
    Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: April 21, 1938
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 39 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6" (168 cm.); 130 lbs. (59 kg.)
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; blue eyes.
    Marks, Scars: Scar on back, broke left wrist with pin, and scar on right side by kidney.
    Dentals: Not available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Carlson was last seen in Santa Monica, California on December 12, 1977.

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Santa Monica Police Department

Agency Case Number: 77-22589
    NCIC Number: M-648204359

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
    California Department of Justice
    The Doe Network: Case File 915DFCA

Still missing...

Bumping case up. Does anyone have any further information?

In Pennsylvania, but wishing she was some place else.
    Bumping for Sylvia....

35 years have passed and Sylvia is still missing.

It is so sad when there is such little information on these cases! Here is what Charley Project has about Sylvia's case:

What little evidence there is, reports are that she had a broken wrist and some surgical scars. First questions would be, what surgeries did Sylvia have, and how did she get the wrist injury? Was it an accident? Were the surgeries to correct birth defects? Had she been a victim of domestic abuse? Was she running away from a domestic abuse situation? Was her case possibly "purged" from many data base systems like many agencies did from about the 50's-70's, and sometimes into the 80's, where jurisdictions did not keep the records of missing people back than compared to the quality and care that missing people are given now?

Surrey, UK
    A bump for a neglected case.

Like others I have found it hard to find anything about this case. However, there are some speculative pointers about Sylvia's earlier life but these depend on whether Carlson was a maiden or married name. I suspect Carlson is a maiden name for several reasons; firstly I can find no marriage record on Ancestry, mooseroots or anywhere else (but neither can I find the birth record). Secondly, the Charley Project report refers to jewellery of (possibly) a few silver rings - so no wedding band. Thirdly, the nature of the report (last seen rather than details of activity leading up to disappearance, no suggestion of a report by a husband). None of this is conclusive but is the best available. If Carlson is the maiden name there seems to be a fit in the form of a young lady who went to Mount Holyoke College and may have gone to high school in New Jersey. The evidence for this is at;

http://mhcclassof1960.net/yearboook.htm and

The second link has a (small) picture of the Sylvia Helen Carlson at Summit High School and (to me) it looks very much like an 18 year old version of our girl. The dates fit well. The school yearbook is for 1956 and the Mount Holyoke class book is for 1960. I am not sure which of the pictures on the Mount Holyoke page is Sylvia as they do not seem labelled but I suspect she is on the far right of the 11th row as this picture also looks like both the 1956 picture and the 'missing' picture.

If the above is right (a big if) there is a 1940 census record of a Sylvia Carlson in East Orange City, Essex, NJ with parents Harry and Ingrid and 4 year old brother Ralph. This location is close to Summit.

Perhaps the above may suggest some new lines of investigation (or prompt someone to point out my speculation is all wrong!).