22-year-old lying in the road ran over by 2 cruisers

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
Click here for link

DOVER -- The Vermont State Police and Dover police are investigating what is being called the untimely death of a 22-year-old man hit by two state police cruisers while lying in the travel lane of Vermont 100 early Sunday morning.

Late Sunday police identified the victim as Gerald Peterson of Dover.

Investigators have not yet determined if the Peterson was alive before he was hit by the two cruisers, state police spokesman Lt. John Flannigan.

Click here for VSP link

Click here for WCAX news link, townspeople speak out

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Hard to determine how this could happen. I know traveling along if I see something in the road I try to avoid it and isn't something as large as a body. I even avoid tire treads that are cast aside from blowouts as these things have metal that can cause flats.

I think it needs to be determined if these officers were traveling at a high rate of speed.

Traveling back from Thanksgiving my daughter was behind a truck that threw off a wooden box. The box hit her car and had splinters that were firmly implanted in her rearview mirror but wasn't on the road. I was behind her and saw it happen but this thing was flying not on the road itself.

The same thing with people who hit dear. The dear comes from out of the blue as your vehicle hits them.

This is perplexing and disturbing.

Hi DS:blowkiss: ! Isn't this a strange thing to happen? I wonder how he ended up in the road. I also think it more strange that 2 cruisers hit him. I hope they find out more about this.

Dearest Concernperson and Calidreamin,:blowkiss:

Thank-you so much for your posts.

2 years ago, I was coming home from work after midnight and I ran over a dead deer that was lying in the road on the interstate. The place where this happened was a straight way. I did not see it until it was too late. I had all I could do to control my car after I ran over the already dead deer.

So much Love and Respect for the both of you,
dark_shadows

DS:

Another tragic life lost in your area. I hope that this is being investigated thoroughly outside of the "State Police" as they will only keep it close to the vest.

As calidreamin said,.................."wonder why he was in the road to begin with"? Was another vehicle found close by?? My prayers to his family!

The last time I knew and correct me if Im wrong but the police always tell you your supposed to have your car undercontrol at all times . :waitasec:

DS:

Another tragic life lost in your area. I hope that this is being investigated thoroughly outside of the "State Police" as they will only keep it close to the vest.

As calidreamin said,.................."wonder why he was in the road to begin with"? Was another vehicle found close by?? My prayers to his family!
My very dearest Littledeer,:blowkiss:
I am very happy to see you.

There is supposed to be more to this after the ME's findings are complete.

So much Love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

Sounds to me like they did try to avoid the body...
They came around a curve and were unable to avoid what turned out to be Peterson laying in the roadway.

The first trooper tried to avoid the object and radioed the second trooper to watch out, but the second trooper still couldn't avoid it.
Source: Burlington Free Press

I hope the autopsy can determine a COD so we know if he was alive or dead before he was run over. What a tragedy, my prayers to the young man's family and to the officers who ran over him.

That's really sad. I hope the family gets some answers and finds closure.

There is a video at this link;
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=7478859

It was determined by the ME that he died after being hit by a car. It was determined that he was lying down in the road when he was hit. He was walking along the road after he left work.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Dearest dark_shadows,

Thank you for posting the update. So sad that this young man moved there wanting to start a new life for himself, only to have this happen.

Anytime there is rain, slush or snow on a roadway, optical illusions can come into play. A street light, porch light, headlights reflect off the roadway, casts shadows ... even on straight roads.

My area is extremely hilly with very winding roads (many 'S' curves) You have to constantly be alert when driving in winter here ... Amish buggies around a sharp hilly 'S' curve is one of my biggest fears, and then there are the deer.

Feel so sorry for this young life cut short and his family.

Dearest dark_shadows,

Thank you for posting the update. So sad that this young man moved there wanting to start a new life for himself, only to have this happen.

Anytime there is rain, slush or snow on a roadway, optical illusions can come into play. A street light, porch light, headlights reflect off the roadway, casts shadows ... even on straight roads.

My area is extremely hilly with very winding roads (many 'S' curves) You have to constantly be alert when driving in winter here ... Amish buggies around a sharp hilly 'S' curve is one of my biggest fears, and then there are the deer.

Feel so sorry for this young life cut short and his family.

To my very dearest Talisman,:blowkiss:
It is a pleasure to see you and to read your post. You are so right in stating that you have to be constantly alert while driving. In broad daylight while driving down the road I saw this deer standing in the breakdown lane of the interstate and it was looking right at me with its beady little eyes. I saw it in time to slow down and see what it was going to do. I did not know if it was going to play :chicken: with me or not. I was not going to guess what its intentions were. I blew the horn and it went running off the road and into the woods. I have had quite a few encounters with deer. The worst was running over a dead deer at night.

I will add that those stupid little deer whistles that you mount on the front of your car do not work.

dark_shadows

My dearest dark_shadows,

You are absolutely right about those deer whistles:crazy: !! Well, at least the person holding the patent made a few 'bucks' off of them!!;)

Deer are so unpredictable. You can almost come to a complete stop only to have them walk alongside your car. Then all of a sudden they bolt, and guessing if they'll run in front of your car or off into the woods is useless. They react differently everytime.

Thank you for posting :blowkiss:

My very dearest Talisman,:blowkiss:
:laugh:

My dearest dark_shadows,

You are absolutely right about those deer whistles:crazy: !! Well, at least the person holding the patent made a few 'bucks' off of them!!;)

You are good! Thanks for the laugh. How did you come up with that so fast????

dark_shadows

The poor officers, i'm sure they feel horrible about it..
Many times if the road is that curvy, it's hard to see the blind spot ahead.
Does anyone remember that movie where the teenagers were laying in the road double lines on a dare something; it had created a controversy a long while back.

Hi DS thank you for posting the link. I think I am just tired tonight but did they mean that he was walking in the road and hit by the cruiser? I think I am confused because they said he was lying in the road when hit. Thank you in advance dear lady I am sure I am just tired with mommy brain.:laugh: :laugh: :blowkiss:

Hi DS thank you for posting the link. I think I am just tired tonight but did they mean that he was walking in the road and hit by the cruiser? I think I am confused because they said he was lying in the road when hit. Thank you in advance dear lady I am sure I am just tired with mommy brain.:laugh: :laugh: :blowkiss:
I read it that way as well. Was he suicidal? Most people don't lie in the road unless they are suicidal or had a medical condition that befell them.

I read it that way as well. Was he suicidal? Most people don't lie in the road unless they are suicidal or had a medical condition that befell them.

Oh good I thought it was just me. I wonder if maybe he had been drinking or something and that is why he was in the road.

My very sweet Calidreamin,:blowkiss:
He was lying in the road alive and he was then hit by the cruisers. The first cruiser killed him. There is going to be more about this on our 6 o'clock news. As soon as I watch the entire story, I will post what they said.

dark_shadows

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong