Best Meteor Shower of 2007 Peaks Dec. 13

Dark Knight

Reaction score
What could be the best meteor display of the year will reach its peak on the night of Dec.13-14.

Here is what astronomers David Levy and Stephen Edberg have written of the annual Geminid Meteor Shower: "If you have not seen a mighty Geminid fireball arcing gracefully across an expanse of sky, then you have not seen a meteor."

The Geminids get their name from the constellation of Gemini, the Twins, because the meteors appear to emanate from a spot in the sky near the bright star Castor in Gemini.

Also in Gemini this month is the planet Mars, nearing a close approach to the Earth later this month, and shining brilliantly with yellow-orange hue. To be sure, Mars is certain to attract the attention of prospective Geminid watchers this upcoming week.

Much more at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20071...3&printer=1;_ylt=ArIXmhpVcuYm8vY.ki6PGJD737YB

I love meteor showers!! Thank you Dark Knight, for posting this!

Thanks DK for the link--We have to drive about 30 min into the interior, by the sugar cane fields to escape the light from the coast--the article also mentions meteor-gazing to be a cold hobby this time of year, but not in this area--It'll be still 70 degrees here at 2 AM

The kids in I stayed up until 3 am back in August to catch the Perseid Meteor Shower. Our first time and it was WONDERFUL! We only caught a few b/c we live smack dab in the middle of the city and near a huge shopping plaza. But it was well worth staying up late! I'm not sure if I can brave the cold for this one! lol

ok I am trying to figure out the best time for us. I live in South Florida I am thinking Friday 10 am- Saturday morning. What do you guys think?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back