Mandatory Flu & Meningitis Vaccines for KIDS

Linda7NJ

Reaction score
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]I live in NJ and this plan would make NJ the first state in the country making this mandatory. How do you feel about this?

I am LESS than thrilled!

New Jersey Makes Flu Shots Mandatory for Preschoolers
New Jersey has just become the first state to require flu shots for all children attending preschool and day care centers. Sixth graders have also had two new shots added to their mandatory vaccination schedule, a DPT booster and a meningitis shot.

Here are the details of the new requirements:

-- Children aged 6 months to 4 years and nine months old must get the flu shot each year to attend preschool or day care.
-- Children two months to 4 years and nine months old also must get the pneumonia (pneumococcal) vaccine.
-- Sixth graders must get a Diptheria-Pertussis-Tetanus (DPT shot) booster in order to attend school.
-- Sixth graders must get a meningitis shot in order to attend school.

Since opting out of vaccinations is difficult in New Jersey (only allowable on religious or medical grounds), many parents are concerned that they will have no say in whether their children are given the flu shot or not.

"It is not right for the government and unelected councils to dictate what we put into our children," said Sue Collins, co-founder of the New Jersey Alliance for Informed Choice in Vaccination.

While many vaccines given to children don't contain mercury, the flu shot does contain the potentially harmful heavy metal.

New Jersey Gov. Jon S. Corzine, who approved the new vaccine requirements, said he didn't "want to speak to the specifics."

However, Gov. Corzine is quite proud of the heavy pharmaceutical presence in his state and he stated in June of this year that "Central New Jersey is the birthplace of the global pharmaceutical industry."

The pharmaceutical and medical technology industry contributes more than $27 billion to New Jersey's economy.

"The pharmaceutical and life sciences industries are vital to New Jersey's economic stability," said Governor Corzine. "I am proud that 15 of the world's 20 largest pharmaceutical companies and over 235 biotech companies call New Jersey home. The men and women working in this important field help to maintain New Jersey's role as a global leader in life sciences."
Not surprisingly, stock analysts say this could be a "big boost" for flu vaccine makers.

Is it any surprise, then, that the state that stands to gain the most from making the flu vaccine mandatory for all preschoolers is the first one to do so?
http://politics.healthdiaries.com/n...eschoolers.html
[/FONT]

"[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica] Since opting out of vaccinations is difficult in New Jersey (only allowable on religious or medical grounds), many parents are concerned that they will have no say in whether their children are given the flu shot or not."

I think that ALL states only permit those exclusions..

I would simply opt for one of the exclusions. It would not be beneath me to claim it is against my religion.. (Schools cannot ask what religion you are)
Although I have never had a problem getting a medical waiver.
[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]
~snip~

Here are the details of the new requirements:

-- Children aged 6 months to 4 years and nine months old must get the flu shot each year to attend preschool or day care.
-- Children two months to 4 years and nine months old also must get the pneumonia (pneumococcal) vaccine.
-- Sixth graders must get a Diptheria-Pertussis-Tetanus (DPT shot) booster in order to attend school.
-- Sixth graders must get a meningitis shot in order to attend school.

~snip~
However, Gov. Corzine is quite proud of the heavy pharmaceutical presence in his state and he stated in June of this year that "Central New Jersey is the birthplace of the global pharmaceutical industry."

The pharmaceutical and medical technology industry contributes more than $27 billion to New Jersey's economy.

"The pharmaceutical and life sciences industries are vital to New Jersey's economic stability," said Governor Corzine. "I am proud that 15 of the world's 20 largest pharmaceutical companies and over 235 biotech companies call New Jersey home. The men and women working in this important field help to maintain New Jersey's role as a global leader in life sciences."
Not surprisingly, stock analysts say this could be a "big boost" for flu vaccine makers.

Is it any surprise, then, that the state that stands to gain the most from making the flu vaccine mandatory for all preschoolers is the first one to do so?
http://politics.healthdiaries.com/n...eschoolers.html
[/FONT]

It is my decision....PERIOD. :mad:

http://vaccineawakening.blogspot.com/2007/11/flu-shot-mandate-looms-flu-shot-fails.html

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]I live in NJ and this plan would make NJ the first state in the country making this mandatory. How do you feel about this? [/FONT]

[snip]

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]The pharmaceutical and medical technology industry contributes more than $27 billion to New Jersey's economy. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]"The pharmaceutical and life sciences industries are vital to New Jersey's economic stability," said Governor Corzine. [/FONT]

You sure you wanna know how I feel about this? :silenced:

I think the second bolded part I quoted says it all. Governor Corzine is trading the health safety of the little ones in his state for the big bucks of the pharmaceutical companies.

:silenced: :silenced: :silenced: :silenced: :silenced: :silenced: :silenced:

Meningitis I could understand and agree with, but not the flu.

I have no problem with vaccinating for meningitis, it is a scary disease that can kill you or leave you maimed in a matter of hours.
Flu, I am not sold on it yet.

I can't remember the last time I had the flu, I was a very young child. But is it life threatening? I know it's contagious, but so is the common cold. (I'd be first in line for a vaccine for the common cold, and one for sinusitis, if they existed). My son is 10 months old and he got the flu vaccine last week, but his pediatrician just suggested it, I didn't feel coerced or anything of the kind.

It seems like NJ is more concerned about $$$$$ than public health. But that's JMO.

I'm no medical expert,but i think the flu is very dangerous to the very young,and the very old,and anyone with a existing medical condition. I think your average healthy kid and adult doesn't have to worry.
Sometimes i wonder if by vaccinating ourselves against everything known to man kind,we lose all of our immunities.
I wouldn't have a problem with mandatory vacinations for truelly life threatening things,but I'm not sure you should make everyone get a flu shot.
Sounds to me like this is driven by the pharmecutical companys,like everything else in medicine!

My daughter got pneumonia as an infant, and was quite sick. Had to have antibiotics.

My son had the flu about age 7 and was very sick. I swore after that we'd remember to get the flu shots. Some years seem worse than others; we've certainly had a run of fairly light years for flu. But part of that is due to the fact that many are vaccinated, so less chance for spread.

Looks like you have up to age 4 for some vaccines.

Pneumonia - yes
DPT -yes
Meningitis - yes; a horribly deadly disease but usually given to college kids.

Most vaccines BUILD immunities, to that virus. Most are not live viruses.

JBean posted an excellent booklet on the most recent vaccine thread, by a Doctor; explaining each and every vaccine and how it works.

I thought drug companies don't make much money off vaccines Not in comparison to drugs that are manufactured.

I don't understand why he would make that statement.

This is down right ridiculous. My son had the flu shot 2 years in a row at the insistence of the military family clinic. Both years he got the flu shortly after. Once he would start breathing poorly I would take him in "it's just a cold" they would say. A few days later he would start coughing until he vomited and THEN they would x-ray his chest and find pneumonia. There is no way in he11 my kids will ever get a flu shot again!

I think it's silly. I am not a fan of more and more vaccinations for a number of reasons. If you feel strongly about it, use the opt-out options.

My son had Meningitis when he was 2 yrs old. He nearly died. It was just devastating!!

My grandchildren are 1 and 3 they both get their flu shots. I think they also get the Meningitis as well, but I am not sure. They haven't gotten sick from the flu shot.

My daughter got pneumonia as an infant, and was quite sick. Had to have antibiotics.

My son had the flu about age 7 and was very sick. I swore after that we'd remember to get the flu shots. Some years seem worse than others; we've certainly had a run of fairly light years for flu. But part of that is due to the fact that many are vaccinated, so less chance for spread.

Looks like you have up to age 4 for some vaccines.

Pneumonia - yes
DPT -yes
Meningitis - yes; a horribly deadly disease but usually given to college kids.

Most vaccines BUILD immunities, to that virus. Most are not live viruses.

JBean posted an excellent booklet on the most recent vaccine thread, by a Doctor; explaining each and every vaccine and how it works.

I thought drug companies don't make much money off vaccines Not in comparison to drugs that are manufactured.

I don't understand why he would make that statement.

Here is the link to the book:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1795908&postcount=10

The reason given for having children get flu vaccines is because children lack immunity, thus get the flu more often than adults, and are rapid carriers of flu to the elderly and people with compromised immune systems.

IOW, the vaccine is not so much for the child as it is for the other people who might come in contact with a child developing a case of the flu.

I never had a flu vaccine when I was a child, and never got the flu either. My children never got flu vaccines. We had a couple of winter flu illnesses but they recovered easily. Obviously, I kept them sequestered from the general population as soon as I knew they were ill.

I don't consider the flu vaccine to be essential in childhood immunizations...
I think all other recommended immunizations have priority and should be given on schedule to all well babies and children with normal immune systems.

Maria

My grandkids are sick with and bring home one thing after another the last few school years since they are crowded into old buildings like sardines with so many other kids. But, after I got so ill after getting the Hep B vaccination, I am afraid of all the vaccines.

I have NEVER been vaccinated for the flu an it took me nearly 34 years to get it. One vaccine that was supposed to work and didn't was for the mumps.

It should be our right to vaccinate or not vaccinate.

"While many vaccines given to children don't contain mercury, the flu shot does contain the potentially harmful heavy metal."

:( :( Thimerosal again. Can I see a show of hands of those willing to shoot up with mercury? Anybody? Anybody? Bueller? Ya know why mercury is in the injections?! To extend the shelf-life but, IMO, will shorten your real life.

For any RH Negative mothers - you know the dreaded Rhogam word. Not as bad now, but back when I had my four kids and got popped with the mercury at least eight times, the mercury levels were very high in the Rhogam injections - I passed out when I received the first one. My central nervous system is a ghost from my past. But at least now, I know why......Thank you again, I-Man.......

If I am not alone in my luck of the draw as far as having the RH factor, here is a link that can explain it better than I can. Thank you for listening.

http://www.rhogamfyi.com/rhogam-side-effects.html

"The RhoGAM treatment that is currently being produced does not contain thimerosal. Patients who have been raising concern received the treatment between 1968 and 2001. These individuals claim that the ADHD and DSI symptoms their children are presently exhibiting are rooted in their prenatal exposure to mercury. RhoGAM lawyers are presenting these cases and pushing for further investigation into ethylmercury. Tell a Friend."

You sure you wanna know how I feel about this? :silenced:

I think the second bolded part I quoted says it all. Governor Corzine is trading the health safety of the little ones in his state for the big bucks of the pharmaceutical companies.

:silenced: :silenced: :silenced: :silenced: :silenced: :silenced: :silenced:
Yep!:(

My son had Meningitis when he was 2 yrs old. He nearly died. It was just devastating!!

My grandchildren are 1 and 3 they both get their flu shots. I think they also get the Meningitis as well, but I am not sure. They haven't gotten sick from the flu shot.

That's horrible; I didn't reallize children got it so young.

My husband has seen the devastation and horrible results and deaths by meningitis; it kills quickly.

You only have a chance for survival if you catch it very early.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back