Arkansas Boy, 5, Kills 445-Pound Black Bear

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
Click here for link

While most kindergartners are thrilled by an action-packed afternoon of finger-painting and clay sculpture, an Arkansas 5-year-old is shooting for something a little more dangerous.
Tre Merrit was in a stand with his grandfather when a black bear came from a thicket at the side of the road, Arkansas news station KATV reported. From about 50 yards away, Tre shot the bear with his youth rifle.

More at link.

Am I the only one who finds this story hard to believe???

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

I think the correct question is: "Why is this a story?"

I think the correct question is: "Why is this a story?"
Dearest Paladin,:blowkiss:
I guess because the alleged bear killer is 5 years old and also because of this (from the link on the first post);

The boy’s grandfather, Mike Merrit, told KATV that Tre’s 10th great-grandfather was Davy Crocket, a legendary outdoorsman who killed a bear at just 3 years old, according to folklore.

I guess the folklore has to be extended and kept alive by the relatives.

So much Love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

Was the boy using a .22? It must have been one heck of a head shot on that bear..

I dunno what to believe these days, LOL. This doesn't sound too unbelievable though, although I have no idea about the size and weight of the average black bear.

Our little cousin shot a 600 lbs elk when she was 8. They said it was a small bull. :rolleyes:

Dearest Paladin,:blowkiss:
I guess because the alleged bear killer is 5 years old and also because of this (from the link on the first post);

The boy’s grandfather, Mike Merrit, told KATV that Tre’s 10th great-grandfather was Davy Crocket, a legendary outdoorsman who killed a bear at just 3 years old, according to folklore.

I guess the folklore has to be extended and kept alive by the relatives.

dark_shadows

Ah, I guess that's the tie-in then. When I saw the video on CNN this morning I just saw a bunch of rednecks. Forgive my ignorance.

I was a little annoyed to see the boy, 5, riding an ATV with no helmet either.

Both of my kids got their first rifle for their 2nd chirstmas (22 cricket). They do make youth shotguns and such. My cousin son has shot 2 deer with his. I am not from Arkansas but I raised close to Arkansas. I started Learning about gun at at an early age. So no it does not surprize me that a 5 year old can aim and shoot a gun.

I sort of shuddered when I heard this. Is a kindergarten kid killing an animal something to be proud of? Not in my book.

I sort of shuddered when I heard this. Is a kindergarten kid killing an animal something to be proud of? Not in my book.

Dearest Annie,:blowkiss:
I think the same as you, I do not think that a child that young killing an animal is something to be proud of.

Much Respect to you,
dark_shadows

Thats what I was thinking too Annie..I think its very sad that a child would want to kill an animal ,but thats just me.

Dearest Annie,:blowkiss:
I think the same as you, I do not think that a child that young killing an animal is something to be proud of.

Much Respect to you,
dark_shadows

These are my thoughts as well, d_s, but I know some folks start hunting very very early. I was fishing in the ocean by 7 or so, but can't imagine my 5-year-old son shooting an animal. Why would you shoot something your weren't going to eat? Or maybe his family eats bear?:eek:

That's kind of my personal rule. If I take the animal's life (fish, shrimp, crab, oysters), I'm going to eat it. I don't like venison, so I wouldn't kill a deer.

EXACTLY!

I'm thinking....what is so fabulous about the fact that a 5 year old pulled a stupid trigger on a gun while aiming? Is that considered something great? Nahhhh....not in my book either. Whoever (our media) is making this kid to be some folk hero because he killed an animal should probably focus on getting more of a life.

I wonder if grandpa "helped" the boy kill the bear so they could continue their Davy Crockett family legacy blah

These are my thoughts as well, d_s, but I know some folks start hunting very very early. I was fishing in the ocean by 7 or so, but can't imagine my 5-year-old son shooting an animal. Why would you shoot something your weren't going to eat? Or maybe his family eats bear?:eek:

That's kind of my personal rule. If I take the animal's life (fish, shrimp, crab, oysters), I'm going to eat it. I don't like venison, so I wouldn't kill a deer.
To my very dearest Southcitymom,:blowkiss:
Exactly! I do not know why kids are tought to kill that young.

dark_shadows

All I can think is: Poor bear. :(

I'm with SCM, you kill it, you eat it!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members