761 users online (175 members and 586 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,906

    Merck says vaccine recall involves 1.2 million doses

    WASHINGTON, Dec 12 (Reuters) - Merck & Co Inc's (MRK.N: Quote, Profile, Research) recall of childhood vaccines covers about 1.2 million doses of the PedvaxHIB and Comvax immunizations, a company official said on Wednesday.
    Mark Feinberg, a vice president for Merck's vaccine division, confirmed a Food and Drug Administration announcement that the company had recalled 12 lots of the vaccines. Speaking in an interview, he said those lots involved about 1.2 million doses. (Reporting by Lisa Richwine; Editing by Tim Dobbyn)

    http://www.reuters.com/article/gover...00804820071212

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,715
    Why were they recalled - was it contamination?

    Boy, you bet Mercks going to cover their butt now if there is even a suspicion of problem, they were hurt very badly over that drug that caused heart attacks.

    The company is only just now beginning to recover.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    They recently updated the article:
    WASHINGTON, Dec 12 (Reuters) - Merck & Co Inc (MRK.N: Quote, Profile, Research) on Wednesday voluntarily recalled about 1.2 million doses of its widely used children's vaccines after quality-control checks found production equipment may not have been properly sterilized.


    http://www.reuters.com/article/gover...29699920071213

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,306
    Geez! I am very leary of my kids getting their *shots* already. Now this! I need to read up on this but it seems everything and anything is being recalled.

    We live in scary times.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,715
    Quote Originally Posted by pixies View Post
    Geez! I am very leary of my kids getting their *shots* already. Now this! I need to read up on this but it seems everything and anything is being recalled.

    We live in scary times.
    At least they HAVE quality control checks; much better than imported things like from CHINA.

    It sounds like they are just taking every possible precaution, and that's good.

    Merck, for a drug company, is one of the oldest and has always been a STELLAR company; a solid blue chip on the stock market until the Vioxx problem.

    Read the article, before the vaccine, 1 in 200 children got Hib, with a quarter getting brain damage, etc; not good at all.

    It's much better to get the vaccine, and good thing American Companies are following a strict quality control IMO.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,906
    Quote Originally Posted by Marthatex View Post
    At least they HAVE quality control checks; much better than imported things like from CHINA.

    It sounds like they are just taking every possible precaution, and that's good.

    Merck, for a drug company, is one of the oldest and has always been a STELLAR company; a solid blue chip on the stock market until the Vioxx problem.

    Read the article, before the vaccine, 1 in 200 children got Him, with a quarter getting brain damage, etc; not good at all.

    It's much better to get the vaccine, and good thing American Companies are following a strict quality control IMO.

    I remember reading somewhere about bootleg drugs made in China mysteriously ending up in reputable pharmacies here in the USA. Does your husband know how that happens or what to look for?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    I remember reading somewhere about bootleg drugs made in China mysteriously ending up in reputable pharmacies here in the USA. Does your husband know how that happens or what to look for?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/20/sc...ml?ref=science
    Here you go:

    It says that few counterfeit drugs are found in the United States. More likely to be found if you order off the internet.

    It looks like alot of Malaria drugs are counterfeit. That's a terrible crime - people die from lack of having the correct drug.

    SHAME on those amoral Chinese or whoever is reponsible for doing such a thing.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,766
    This imo is one of the scariest recalls of late.
    I feel fortunate that my kids are now adults.
    I can't imagine having to worry about the current vaccine recalls and drug mix ups currently in the news.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,715
    Quote Originally Posted by philamena View Post
    This imo is one of the scariest recalls of late.
    I feel fortunate that my kids are now adults.
    I can't imagine having to worry about the current vaccine recalls and drug mix ups currently in the news.
    All of which stem from "quality control" negligence.

    Now I can see why some hospitals are having to "cut corners"; but Merck????

    For the prices we pay for drugs, they should be able to hire and train very qualified people. Are the managers taking a "coffee break" while the conveyer belt is being cleaned?

    Again, I think they were taking a precaution; it's good that someone discovered the glitch.



Similar Threads

  1. Feds recall nearly 1 million bikes after rider paralyzed
    By shadowraiths in forum Food, Drug & Product Recalls National & International
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2015, 02:18 AM
  2. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 07-24-2013, 12:38 AM
  3. Pet food recall: Sweeping recall affects food for cats, dogs, and ferrets
    By Dark Knight in forum Food, Drug & Product Recalls National & International
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-20-2013, 11:04 AM
  4. 2 infants die after getting adult doses of drug
    By dark_shadows in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-20-2006, 11:24 PM