Thread: Sheriff Joe orders drunk drivers to bury alcoholics

Sheriff Joe orders drunk drivers to bury alcoholics

Sheriff orders drink drivers to bury alcoholics

By Catherine Elsworth in Los Angeles

Last Updated: 2:22am GMT 13/12/2007

Convicted drink drivers are being forced to wear pink shirts and form a chain gang to perform public burials of people who died of alcohol abuse.
    The punishment is the brainchild of an Arizona sheriff known for unorthodox practices such as housing inmates in old military tents and issuing prisoners with pink underwear.

Maybe this will warn people - knock it off, don't drink and drive," Mr Arpaio said. "You'll end up in pink underwear on the chain gang."The drink drive convicts perform burials at a local cemetery where many homeless alcoholics are buried.
    Earlier this week, the inmates were also assigned to clean a busy Phoenix street wearing black and white striped trousers and pink shirts that read "Sheriff DUI (driving under the influence) Chain Gang" on the back and "Clean(ing) and Sober" on the front

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...wdrunks113.xml

Joe is busy this month

Migrant worker files civil suit against Sheriff Arpaio

Judi Villa
    The Arizona Republic
    Dec. 13, 2007 12:00 AM
    A Mexican citizen who is legally in the United States has filed the first lawsuit challenging Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's aggressive immigration-enforcement efforts, saying that he was unlawfully detained and that the Sheriff's Office is engaged in illegal racial-profiling.

The suit seeks, among other things, a declaratory judgment that Arpaio's actions are unconstitutional, injunctions prohibiting the use of Arpaio's anti-immigration hotline and directing the Sheriff's Office to disband its Illegal Immigration Interdiction unit.

"Our investigations show that the Sheriff's Office has routinely exceeded their authority and shown a blatant disregard for the civil rights of individuals in Maricopa County," said Lou Moffa, a lead attorney in the case. "With this suit, we hope to demonstrate that no matter how politically popular an issue is, the Sheriff's Office does not have the right to trounce haphazardly over an individual's rights."

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...rpaio-ONL.html

I mean REALLY busy this month

Arpaio to appeal judge's ruling

Order restoring jail visitation hours starts today

Michael Kiefer
    The Arizona Republic
    Dec. 13, 2007 12:00 AM
    Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio on Wednesday promised to appeal a Superior Court ruling on visiting hours for attorneys and other legal defense personnel meeting with inmates in the county jails.

"When you look at my mandated duties, it's the sheriff that runs the jails, not the courts," Arpaio said. "I decide what the policy is in the jails."

Lawyers for the Sheriff's Office, he said, will file a petition for special action with the Arizona Court of Appeals, asking that the Dec. 7 ruling by Judge Anna Baca be overturned.
    http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...3jail1213.html

Sheriff Joe for President!

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    Sheriff Joe for President!
    My mom loves that guy, TM. He's come up with some good policies and ideas, but I always wind up thinking he's a smidge off when I hear him speak. Ain't no thing though. Who ain't a little off? LOL He's using it to stop crime.

I know exactly what you mean, Filly! lol Still, I think some of our presidential candidates are just as "off".

I just like his attitude. I sure wouldn't want to commit a crime in his area!

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    I know exactly what you mean, Filly! lol Still, I think some of our presidential candidates are just as "off".

I just like his attitude. I sure wouldn't want to commit a crime in his area!
    Heck no! We'd be wearing pink all day long and eating mush!

And eating bologna sandwiches and living in tents and working on a chain gang.

I LOVE Sheriff Joe. LE in my area is the polar opposite of this, unfortunately.

Love this guy and everything that he does. Others could take a lesson from him!

I hope that "performing" the public burial just means carrying the casket as pallbearers. I think a homeless drunk deserves a good hole in the ground dug by a machine and not a bunch of sissy drunk drivers since being homeless isn't a crime like driving drunk and they need a dignified service just as anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    I hope that "performing" the public burial just means carrying the casket as pallbearers. I think a homeless drunk deserves a good hole in the ground dug by a machine and not a bunch of sissy drunk drivers since being homeless isn't a crime like driving drunk and they need a dignified service just as anyone else.
    I agree it doesnt seem right !
    Joann thank you for showing me all the beautiful things in this world especially yourself!!!

I bet he has less crime in his area then any other area.......back in the day when the punishment was hard labor there wasnt as much crimes committed either...I strongly wish they would go back to bread and butter, and hard labor as punishments...as well as beheadings or immediate deaths when they have been sentenced to death , not 30 years down the road...who cares about their rights, when they didnt care about their victims rights!

Sheriff Joe is my hero. Many of the guys are there are only there for misdemeanor offenses, broken probation, etc. We have a lot of homeless people who do not have addresses nor relatives to bury them after they have died. Perhaps the guys having to bury these people will remind them how nice it is to have a real job, a real life, and a real home. It may work.

As far as pallbearers goes, if the person is dead, he won't care who carried his casket, but the guys carrying the casket might find feelings they lost.

As for the illegal who says he has been injured by Sheriff Joe and the new law that just went into effect - ah well, the court will just have to settle it. Like Joe says, he runs the jail, the judge runs the court.