Mercury and Mascara!

RiverRat

Patsy Ramsey to the Left
Reaction score
Mercury in Mascara? Minn. Law Bans It
By MARTIGA LOHN – 1 day ago

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — The quest for thicker lashes and defined eyes should get safer in Minnesota on Jan. 1, when a state law banning mercury from mascara, eye liners and skin-lightening creams takes effect.

Minnesota apparently is the first state in the nation to ban intentionally added mercury in cosmetics, giving it a tougher standard than the federal government.

Retailers who knowingly sell mercury-containing cosmetics in Minnesota could face fines of as much as $700. Penalties could reach $10,000 for manufacturers who fail to disclose mercury on product labels, according to the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.

"Mercury does cause neurological damage to people even in tiny quantities," said Sen. John Marty, the Democrat from Roseville who sponsored the ban. "Every source of mercury adds to it. We wanted to make sure it wasn't here."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iwirqO43wxQESi5NchuDqLzHcC1QD8TH1RLO0

"Using eye makeup with mercury is unlikely to cause immediate health problems, but mercury accumulates in the body, so consumers should avoid exposure whenever possible, said Carl Herbrandson, a toxicologist with the state Health Department.

"Mercury is bad, basically in all forms that get into the body," Herbrandson said.

Mercury can *advertiser censored* brain development in children and fetuses, who are most vulnerable to the metal's toxic effects. But it can also cause neurological symptoms in adults.

Mercury fumes can collect inside a jar of skin cream or a tube of mascara, and a person could inhale them when the container is opened, Herbrandson said.

Imported skin-lightening creams and soaps with high levels of mercury have been found in other states; they are illegal under federal law. Herbrandson said skin products with mercury are more dangerous than mercury-containing eye makeup because people apply larger quantities to their bodies." :furious:

RR, I wonder if they mean foundation when they say skin lightening cream? Interesting yet alarming stuff. Thank you for this information.

"Imported skin-lightening creams and soaps with high levels of mercury have been found in other states; they are illegal under federal law."

Then why are these products on the shelves in the stores? I was under the impression that all products are tested by the Food and Drug Administration,before it is offered to the consumer.

Just knowing that someone acknowledged my warnings has helped me feel better already. Thanks, Ladies!

Aww, RiverRat. Thanks for the info. :blowkiss:

I wish more people were aware of what they put in and on their bodies.

Just knowing that someone acknowledged my warnings has helped me feel better already. Thanks, Ladies!

Thanks RiverRat. It's so scary to hear what's in everything these days. I only knew about mercury in teeth fillings. In fact my neighbor's son had all his removed last year and it cost him $5000. No idea why it was so expensive.

Yes - it is that expensive, another thing that I can vouch for since I also had to eliminate as much mercury from my body as possible since I was already toxic from the thimerosal (mercury in a fancy name) injections.

Since both forms of the poisoning came from Doctors instructions.......I assumed it was safe. :loser:

Many people have an alarming amount of mercury in their bodies; but the largest source of that comes from the water we drink, and the food we eat, especially fish in the lakes and oceans.

The mercury is coming directly from pollution from coal-fired plants, auto emimssions, etc. It's in our air, it's in the rain, it's in our water.

That's why pregnant women are cautioned not to eat much fish now.

Can you absorb mercury from what's on your eyelashes? I don't know. They certainly should take it out, but is it on eyeliner too?

Thermesol is a form of mercury that leaves the body very quickly, from what I have read. Other forms of mercury are not as readily excreted.

http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Cosmetic-Synthetics-Concern.htm

Capps:
http://www.safecosmetics.org/your_health/index.cfm
From the FDA website:

"The regulatory requirements governing the sale of cosmetics are not as stringent as those that apply to other FDA-regulated products... Manufacturers may use any ingredient or raw material, except for color additives and a few prohibited substances, to market a product without a government review or approval."

Oh great,between rubbing my eyes and getting mercury in them from mascara,and wearing the pepper spray ring and spraying that in my eyes...I'm doomed. :)

Thanks for the info taximon.

again, this is why i don't wear makeup. big waste of money too. these companies have used advertising for decades to convince women they need this stuff to keep their self-esteem intact. i only buy good-quality, natural skin cream (and burt's bee's lip stuff), eat good diet, good sleep, don't smoke/drink, don't tan,.. limit stress. that's the best makeup there is.
god only knows what's in all those products anyway.. and it's all being absorbed INTO YOUR SKIN/BODY!! yuck.

<Many people have an alarming amount of mercury in their bodies; but the largest source of that comes from the water we drink, and the food we eat, especially fish in the lakes and oceans.

The mercury is coming directly from pollution from coal-fired plants, auto emimssions, etc. It's in our air, it's in the rain, it's in our water.>

sad times we live in... when we are not just polluting the environment.. but the environment that we have polluted for so many decades is now polluting US.

i really do see a connection between this and the rise in crime, mental problems, learning disabilities, deliquency, etc.. at least it's a contributing factor, no doubt. i wonder if anyone has ever done a study on this? i guess it would involve doing a full-body analysis (bone, skin, hair, etc.) on many different people... which involves a lot of $. too bad our govt doesn't care enough about its own people anymore to do something like this, instead of throwing away billions in the mid-east.
well, i can dream, can't i?

<Many people have an alarming amount of mercury in their bodies; but the largest source of that comes from the water we drink, and the food we eat, especially fish in the lakes and oceans.

The mercury is coming directly from pollution from coal-fired plants, auto emimssions, etc. It's in our air, it's in the rain, it's in our water.>

sad times we live in... when we are not just polluting the environment.. but the environment that we have polluted for so many decades is now polluting US.

i really do see a connection between this and the rise in crime, mental problems, learning disabilities, deliquency, etc.. at least it's a contributing factor, no doubt. i wonder if anyone has ever done a study on this? i guess it would involve doing a full-body analysis (bone, skin, hair, etc.) on many different people... which involves a lot of $. too bad our govt doesn't care enough about its own people anymore to do something like this, instead of throwing away billions in the mid-east.
well, i can dream, can't i?

My daughter has been told not to eat luncheon meats or hotdogs either. (nitrates, nitrites), etc.

I'm like you; I wear little makeup but even our BODYLOTIONS we need to think about having chemicals - we should probably use very mild ones like Aveeno, and those with natural substances.

You didn't mention the word CANCER. I think we get alot of cancers due to environmental toxins; including junk we take in like cigarettes and and too much alcohol. There is a genetic component to some cancers, but the environment triggers it.

Take Japanese or other Orientals who have no breast cancer; they move over here and live here awhile; their rates become like ours.

I try to use only natural products, mineral makeups, pure shea butter, home made soaps, etc. mainly because I have such sensitive/allergic skin. I love Burt's Bees products!

My mascara is one piece of make up that I will NOT give up. I've worn it for 30 years and my mom wore it 30 years before that. Thankfully, she never received mercury poisoning.

My mascara is one piece of make up that I will NOT give up. I've worn it for 30 years and my mom wore it 30 years before that. Thankfully, she never received mercury poisoning. Nor have I....well that I know of. ;)

I know that skin-lightening products are very popular in the Phillipines. There is a big Filipino population where I live and many of those products are available in Filipino supermarkets, etc. I have bought some before to try and lighten acne spots..scary.

My mascara is one piece of make up that I will NOT give up. I've worn it for 30 years and my mom wore it 30 years before that. Thankfully, she never received mercury poisoning. Nor have I....well that I know of. ;)

Repeating a post is a classic sign of poisoning......;)

Has anyone else had their hair tested to see just how many foreign elements
are in their body? I apparently pop a nickel every now and then because that was also on the high side. Aluminum - also high - but that is in toothpaste and anti-perspirants, so I knew how that one got into my system,
but nickel?! Still haven't figured that one out, but it has only been two years since I was tested, so on and on on-line I go.

I do enjoy the irony that out of everyone surrounding me growing up down here in the Small Town South, I was the stand-out that loved Rock & Roll, so it is fitting that I am the only one ate up with Heavy Metal! :boohoo:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back