10 years ago...

-------------------------------
Amber Renee Barker
Missing since December 18, 1997 from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Classification: Lost, Injured, Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: October 14, 1987
Age at Time of Disappearance: 10 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'11"; 65-70 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes. Front part of hair in a ponytail on the top of head and the rest of it left straight down. Pierced ears.
Clothing: Blue or black jeans, long-sleeved beige shirt with a brown collar, and No Excuses tennis shoes.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Amber Renee Barker was last seen leaving a friend's house on her bicycle about 6 pm near Northwest 45th and Drexel in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on December 18, 1997.

She had just called her mother on the telephone and said she would be home soon. Police found her bicycle in a park near Northwest 27th and Drexel on December 19, 1997 and her shoes near Northwest 12th and Drexel on December 20, 1997.

Police and FBI agents were seeking Amber's brother-in-law for questioning shortly after she disappeared, but he was found on December 22, 1997 after he committed suicide. He was also wanted for a probation violation in connection with a kidnapping conviction in November 1996 in Oklahoma City.

Foul play is suspected.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Oklahoma City Police Department
405- 297-1129
or
Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation
1-800-522-8017

Email: tips@osbi.state.ok.us

NCMEC #: NCMC841456
NCIC Number: M-084085341
Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
North American Missing Persons Network
Oklahoma City Police
The Doe Network: Case File 1834DFOK

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1834dfok.html

It says that Jane Doe was found with socks. One sock of Ambers was found though. I bet this is one they already ruled out, although I do not know.

From the above article:
A DNA sample was recently taken from Bonnie Barker. The DNA from a set of human remains recently found in Oklahoma was tested against Amber's, but a match was not made, Pickett said.

Were the remains "recently found" and tested against this child the remains Angel4Alpha suggested?

The one i posted isnt recent - it says
The victim was discovered on June 22, 2000 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
So i wonder if they will be checked against this

Information sought on missing child

EDMOND — Authorities are seeking information on Amber Renee Barker, who was born Oct 14, 1987. Amber went missing Dec. 18, 1997, from Oklahoma City. Now the white female with brown hair and brown eyes is age 21. Amber’s photo, above at right, is shown age-progressed to 21 years.

http://www.edmondsun.com/local/local_story_364224511.html

Mystery surrounds the recent death of Amber Barker's sister:

Perry's mother, Bonnie Barker, doesn't think her daughter is a storm victim. The dead woman's sister, Debbie Villines, doesn't think so, either.

In fact, Barker fears something far more sinister may have happened to Perry, who she said battled drugs and abusive men for most of her adult life.

Just a month ago, Perry's ex-boyfriend “cut her throat and beat her up real bad,” Barker said.

Now, her daughter is dead. Her body found in a shallow ditch surrounded by clothes.

“She's not a storm victim,” Barker said. “I don't know if she committed suicide, I don't know if somebody killed her ... I don't know what happened.

“But she didn't die in a storm.”

And on the topic of Amber herself, according to another of her sisters:

“The guy that's responsible never got charged, he got away with it,” she said. “He's still alive, too.”

Villines declined to name the man, saying she has relayed her suspicions to homicide detectives, but that they declined to pursue the lead.

“I told the detective who I thought did it — and he agreed,” she said. “But he never did anything about it.”

Read more here.

http://www.news9.com/story/27863683/new-search-warrant-request-for-dna-in-oklahoma-1997-cold-case

Both police and the family suspected Daniel Smith, Amber's brother-in-law, knew something about her disappearance, but he committed suicide. “Yeah, I definitely think he's responsible,” said Bonnie Barker during that 2008 interview. “I believe there's somebody else involved besides him that knows something.”

That's why Oklahoma City police requested DNA samples from Forrest Jay Rice. Rice admitted to police that Smith was at his apartment the night Amber disappeared, and was with him that day. He also admitted he was with Smith the day he committed suicide.

Rice, who also goes by the name of Steven Brent Henley, has a long criminal history. He is currently an inmate in the Oklahoma City Community Corrections Center.

http://www.news9.com/story/27872994/man-close-to-amber-barker-cold-case-shares-his-theory

Investigators with their Crimes Against Children unit have been going over every piece of evidence with a fresh set of eyes to see if there was something that was missed the first time. In court documents, there were three names mentioned of men police have interviewed. Daniel Smith, Forest Rice, and Joseph Bishop were the men interviewed. News 9 talked to Bishop Friday by phone...

Bishop was dating Amber Barker's older sister Brandi at the time and admitted they had a rocky relationship. He said what happened to Amber most likely was taken to the grave with Daniel Smith. Smith was Amber's brother-in-law and committed suicide, just days after police questioned him about her disappearance.

"I was 19 at the time. I still have nightmares” said Bishop. “Then they let him go and three days later they found him hanging dead in the park.”

Bumping, Amber has been missing for almost 18 years now.

ARBarker.jpg

ARBarker.jpg
ARBarker1.jpg

Left: Barker, circa 1997 Right : Age Progressed by NCMEC to age 21 (2008)

Amber Renee Barker
Missing since December 18, 1997 from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Classification: Lost, Injured, Missing
Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: October 14, 1987
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 10 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'11"; 65-70 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes. Front part of hair in a ponytail on the top of head and the rest of it left straight down. Pierced ears.
    • Clothing: Blue or black jeans, long-sleeved beige shirt with a brown collar, and No Excuses tennis shoes.
    • Dentals: Available
    • DNA: mtDNA Available
Circumstances of Disappearance
Amber Renee Barker was last seen leaving a friend's house on her bicycle about 18.00, near Northwest 45th and Drexel Boulevard toward her home in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on December 18, 1997.

She had just called her mother on the telephone and said she would be home soon. Police found her undamaged bicycle lay against a tree, in Denniston Park near Northwest 27th and Drexel on December 19, 1997, and her shoes near Northwest 12th and Drexel on December 20, 1997. A ring, a sweater, and a sock belonging to Amber were found later along Drexel between NW 45 and NW 12.

Police and FBI agents were seeking Amber's brother-in-law, for questioning shortly after she disappeared, but he was found on December 22, 1997 after he committed suicide. He was also wanted for a probation violation in connection with a kidnapping conviction in November 1996 in Oklahoma City.

Witnesses told police the suspect was at Amber's house just minutes before she called home to speak with her mother.

He was found hanging from a tree at Ray Trent Park in Del City four days after Amber disappeared.

Detectives found a small amount of blood on Amber's shoe, as well as vomit and blue fibers on the sweater. The interior of the suspect's pickup was blue.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Oklahoma City Police Department
405- 297-1129

1-800-522-8017

NCMEC #: NCMC841456
Agency Case Number: 97122598
NCIC Number: M-084085341
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
North American Missing Persons Network
Oklahoma City Police
News OK

LINK:

The Doe Network: Case File 1163DFFL

Amber Renee Barker
  • barker_amber.jpg
  • barker_amber2.jpg
  • barker_amber3.jpg
  • amber_renee_barker_2.jpg
Amber, circa 1997; Age-progression to age 21 (circa 2008)

• Missing Since 12/18/1997
  • Missing From Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 10/14/1987 (32)
  • Age 10 years old
  • Height and Weight 4'11 - 5'0, 70 - 80 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A long-sleeved beige shirt with a brown collar, light blue or black jeans and No Excuses sneakers.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Amber's ears are pierced. Her nickname is Amby.
Details of Disappearance
Amber was last seen at approximately 6:00 p.m. on December 18, 1997 in her hometown of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Her mother spoke to her on the phone while she was at a friend's home and told her to come home. She left her friend's residence and was last seen riding her blue ten-speed bicycle in the 3000 block of northwest 45th Street at the time.

Amber was on her way to her home home in the 3100 block of northwest 39th Street. She never arrived and has never been heard from again.

Amber's bicycle was discovered abandoned in Denniston Park in Oklahoma City on December 19, the day following her disappearance. The bike was located near northwest 27th Street and Drexel Boulevard, which is one mile from her home. Amber's sweater, shoes, one sock and a ring were found along Drexel Boulevard and northwest 12th Street on December 20. One of her shoes was a block away from the other one.

Investigators stated that blood, hair and fiber evidence was discovered near Amber's possessions. There were blue fibers and vomit on her sweater, and a speck of blood on her shoe, but the blood spot was so small that authorities could not link it to any specific person. Authorities were able to form a partial DNA profile for an unknown man from the evidence on the sweater.

Daniel John Smith, Amber's sister's common-law husband, was previously convicted of attempted kidnapping in 1995. He admitted that he assaulted a woman in Oklahoma City while he was intoxicated and tried to steal her car keys. The woman says he tried to rape her. Smith pleaded guilty and was sentenced to a five-year deferred prison sentence and four months at a boot camp, where he earned excellent reviews.

The police had been summoned to another of Amber's sisters' homes in November 1997, approximately one month before the child disappeared. Her sister claimed that Smith hit her after she refused to have sexual relations with him. He was given a citation by authorities but was not arrested. Smith was allegedly at Amber's residence when she called her mother to say she was returning home. He left the residence immediately afterwards and headed west, the same direction Amber was coming from.

Smith was questioned about Amber on the day after her disappearance, and authorities wanted to interview him further, but he discovered hanged from a tree in at Ray Trent Park in Del City, Oklahoma at 11:30 p.m. on December 22, 1997, four days after Amber was last seen. His death was ruled a suicide. Smith was not labeled as a suspect at the time; authorities simply said they wanted to question him regarding Amber's case.

Amber's disappearance remains unsolved. She was a fourth-grade student at James Monroe Elementary School at the time of her disappearance. Her loved ones stated she wasn't having any personal problems when she went missing; neither does she have a history as a runaway.

One of Amber's sisters died in 2013, and her mother died in 2014. Foul play is suspected due to the circumstances involved in her case.
Investigating Agency
  • Oklahoma City Police Department 405-297-1290
Source Information

Amber Renee Barker – The Charley Project

Last updated February 23, 2021; details of disappearance updated.

Details of Disappearance
Amber was last seen at approximately 6:00 p.m. on December 18, 1997 in her hometown of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Her mother spoke to her on the phone while she was at a friend's home and told her to come home. She left her friend's residence and was last seen riding her blue ten-speed bicycle in the 3000 block of northwest 45th Street at the time. Amber was on her way to her home home in the 3100 block of northwest 39th Street. She never arrived and has never been heard from again.

Amber's bicycle was discovered abandoned in Denniston Park in Oklahoma City on December 19, the day following her disappearance. The bike was located near northwest 27th Street and Drexel Boulevard, which is one mile from her home. Amber's sweater, shoes, one sock and a ring were found along Drexel Boulevard and northwest 12th Street on December 20. One of her shoes was a block away from the other one.

Investigators stated that blood, hair and fiber evidence was discovered near Amber's possessions. There were blue fibers on her sweater, as well as vomit mixed with possible ejaculate. There was a speck of blood on her shoe, but the blood spot was so small that authorities could not link it to any specific person. Authorities were able to form a partial DNA profile for an unknown man from the evidence on the sweater.

Daniel John Smith, Amber's sister's common-law husband, was previously convicted of attempted kidnapping in 1995. He admitted that he assaulted a woman in Oklahoma City while he was intoxicated and tried to steal her car keys. The woman says he tried to rape her. Smith pleaded guilty and was sentenced to a five-year deferred prison sentence and four months at a boot camp, where he earned excellent reviews.

The police had been summoned to another of Amber's sisters' homes in November 1997, approximately one month before the child disappeared. Her sister claimed that Smith hit her after she refused his sexual advances. He was given a citation by authorities but was not arrested. Smith was allegedly at Amber's residence when she called her mother to say she was returning home. He left the residence immediately afterwards and headed west, the same direction Amber was coming from.

Smith was questioned about Amber on the day after her disappearance, and authorities wanted to interview him further, but he discovered hanged from a tree in at Ray Trent Park in Del City, Oklahoma at 11:30 p.m. on December 22, 1997, four days after Amber was last seen. His death was ruled a suicide. Smith was not labeled as a suspect at the time; authorities simply said they wanted to question him regarding Amber's case. However, both the police and Amber's family suspected he had knowledge of her disappearance.

Amber's disappearance remains unsolved. She was a fourth-grade student at James Monroe Elementary School at the time of her disappearance. Her loved ones stated she wasn't having any personal problems when she went missing; neither does she have a history as a runaway.

One of Amber's sisters died in 2013, and her mother died in 2014. Foul play is suspected due to the circumstances involved in her case.

Amber Renee Barker
barker_amber.jpg

10 years old
Missing since 18 December 1997

Daniel John Smith's suicide sounds suspiciously like a defacto admission of his guilt in this case. A careful search of the grounds of any places that Smith frequented or was familiar with might turn up anomalies to be checked more closely.

poor little baby suffer like this at the hands of a damn abuser I have two babies and I would die if something happens to them myself I would look for the very damned and destroy him with my hands ... I am angry that he has not been judged but I am glad that he is already dead like that at least I'll never do it again .. I hope you're rotting in hell, dirty animal

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back