Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CA - Alicia Amanda Stokes, 33, Oakland, 25 Nov 2007

CA - Alicia Amanda Stokes, 33, Oakland, 25 Nov 2007

From http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...cal&id=5837086

14 Dec 07

Oakland police are searching for a woman who's been missing for almost three weeks.

Alicia Amanda Stokes went out on a Sunday morning and said she'd be right back. That's the last time anyone saw her.

and

Stokes left her Merritt Avenue apartment on November 25. Tonia Stanley spoke with Stokes' brother.

"He said she left Sunday morning and told her brother she would be right back," said neighbor Tonia Stanley.

Two days later, stokes' black Honda Accord showed up on Park Blvd. near Leimert Blvd. by a ravine.

more at link; no pic at link

http://www.insidebayarea.com/localnews/ci_7724606

14 Dec 07

An intensive search has been launched by Oakland Police for a missing 33-year-old woman last seen on the afternoon of Nov. 25 when she left her Adam's Point home after an argument with a relative.

and

Stokes is 5 foot 3, 120 lbs. and has green eyes and blonde hair.

pic

another pic
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 03-29-2010 at 03:25 PM.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...cal&id=5837086

This doesn't sound very hopeful - that the case has been moved over to Homicide and her purse has been found inside her locked car...

Missing Woman Case Puzzles Oakland Police

Aaron Stokes was taking a shower on that cold November morning when his sister Amanda said she was headed out to run errands.

"I yelled from the shower 'I love you ...' She just tapped on the door and said goodbye," the 28-year-old Oakland man recalled.

Those words, said not long after the two argued so loudly neighbors overheard them, were his last to his older sister.

Amanda "Mandy" Stokes, 33, walked out the door of her Merritt Avenue apartment wearing running pants and carrying her wallet, identification, cell phone and iPod.

She climbed into her 2001 black Honda Accord and drove off from her Adam's Point apartment building.

Where she went or who she saw is a mystery.

Why she never came home Nov. 25 and remains missing seven weeks later is another mystery entirely.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_7966763?source=rss

Quote Originally Posted by Rle7 View Post
    Aaron Stokes was taking a shower on that cold November morning when his sister Amanda said she was headed out to run errands.

"I yelled from the shower 'I love you ...' She just tapped on the door and said goodbye," the 28-year-old Oakland man recalled.

Those words, said not long after the two argued so loudly neighbors overheard them, were his last to his older sister.

Amanda "Mandy" Stokes, 33, walked out the door of her Merritt Avenue apartment wearing running pants and carrying her wallet, identification, cell phone and iPod.

She climbed into her 2001 black Honda Accord and drove off from her Adam's Point apartment building.

Where she went or who she saw is a mystery.

Why she never came home Nov. 25 and remains missing seven weeks later is another mystery entirely.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_7966763?source=rss
    This is an interesting story. She is a very pretty woman, but behind her bright smile there is a lot of depression and other problems. After reading the story I don't know what to think.

After all this time I doubt there will be a good outcome but I hope she is found and find out what is the reason for her disappearance is

Wow. That story seems to leave the case going in a few different directions.

Oh how I kept hoping to read she had been in therapy. *sigh*

National Center for Missing Adults
    http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/ga...hp?A200805549S
    Name: Alicia Amanda Stokes

Classification: Endangered Missing Adult
    Alias / Nickname: Mandy
    Date of Birth: 1974-08-19
    Date Missing: 2007-11-25
    From City/State: Oakland, CA
    Missing From (Country): USA
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 33
    Race: White
    Height: 64 inches
    Weight: 115 pounds
    Hair Color: Brown
    Hair (Other): Blonde highlights.
    Eye Color: Green
    Complexion: Light
    Identifying Characteristics: Pierced ears, pierced navel, scar on forearm, tattoo on wrist.
    Circumstances of Disappearance: Unknown. Alicia, also known as Mandy, was last seen at approximately 10:30am at her residence on Merritt Ave. in Oakland, CA. Her vehicle, a 2001 black Honda Accord was later found in the 5000 block of Park Blvd. Her wallet, ID, and cell phone were found in the vehicle.
    Investigative Agency: Oakland Police Department
    Phone: (510) 238-3641
    Investigative Case #: 07-091660
    When your child goes missing: A Family Survival Guide
    Missing Adult Checklist
    Websleuth's Resource Center

F.R.I.E.N.D.S.
    Fight for you

Respect you
    Include you
    Encourage you
    Need you
    Deserve you
    Stand by you

After watching the "Disappeared" episode tonight, it seems clear (to me) that her brother has some idea of what happened to his sister. I think that Amanda was speaking to her boyfriend in NY from her car parked in the complex and her brother is the one who cut off the call and then drove the car away and/or got Amanda to come back inside. LE said they found "biological evidence" in both the apartment and the car that lead them to believe Amanda was murdered by her brother, but not enough for the DA to allow charges. The evidence in the apartment tells me that she probably did not happen to run into a bad guy after leaving alone. It is a terrible position for Amanda's mother to be in, I don't blame her for not believing her son could do it, but they won't ever have an answer if they don't find a way to get through to him, in my opinion. He says she left on her own and never returned...if that was true, LE should not have found what they found (signs of a clean-up, bio evidence) in the apartment and he should have allowed access to the apartment, which he never did. They had to get a warrant many weeks later....
    Just my opinion, of course.

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

Yeah, "cluciano63", the show really made it look like the brother killed her. I mean withdrawing all that money after she is missing just make him look guilty. The show mentioned him being addicted to drugs and specifically heroin. Terrible situation.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Missing Budweiser For This Useful Post:

Her brother killed her

Her family is in total denial. They just don't have enough evidence to charge him.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to valkyrieh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by valkyrieh View Post
    Her family is in total denial. They just don't have enough evidence to charge him.
    I totally agree. Very sad case..

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eileen730 For This Useful Post:

I also watched the Disappeared episode last night on Mandy...it seems clear, given the "biological evidence" inside the apartment and her car, that her brother was behind this.

Cases like these are SO frustrating -- they know who (probably) did it, but aspects of the investigation make it difficult to prosecute successfully. I wonder if her brother had any sort of history of violence? Even if he didn't, he could have been capable of doing anything in order to get his next fix.

So sad, and like so many others, we'll probably never know what really happened

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SheRa For This Useful Post:

I just saw the Disappeared episode tonight. I live about 25 miles from where Mandy disappeared and had never heard about her case.

Her brother is very suspicious, I agree. There are a couple of confusing points though. Was Mandy attacked in the car when she had that last call with her boyfriend? If so, why is there bio evidence in the apt? Since LE found bio evidence in the apt and the car, seems more likely he would have killed her in the apt and then moved her to her car, parked it on the embankment and tossed her in the ravine. But then why didn't they find her body when they searched the ravine? How did he get her out of the apartment with no one seeing him? In the episode, it looked like they lived upstairs and she was average sized, so it wouldn't have been an easy or quiet transport, imo. How did he get back to the apartment from the car dump site? Does LE suspect there might have been an accomplice? It wasn't mentioned in the episode.

Wish there were more details available...
    My opinions only, with respect to all those whose opinions differ

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yllek For This Useful Post:

Southside of Chicago...it's the baddest part of town
    Just watched this 'Disappeared' episode.....gosh, I wish there was an update on this case.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simply Caustic For This Useful Post:

I just saw the Disappeared show today. It's pretty obvious that there is something seriously 'off' with the brother. I'm not sure he is the one that did it though, I think one of his drug addicted friends may have done something to her.

To me, it *always* speaks volumes when a person close to the case isn't interviewed on Disappeared. TBH It gets my eye going in their direction. This was even before I watched the entire show and heard all the evidence.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galbin For This Useful Post:

Please delete
    Last edited by q64ceo; 10-24-2012 at 07:09 AM.

I think he did it. Pretty obvious really. He is a hardcore addict. I am sure he knows a thousand places to hide something.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to larose For This Useful Post:

Missing Monday: Alicia Amanda Stokes of Oakland, California

Alicia Amanda Stokes, or Mandy as she preferred to be called, had argued with her brother on the morning of Saturday, November 25, 2007, but according to Aaron Stokes everything was fine when the 33 year-old psychology major left their apartment to run errands.

“I yelled from the shower ‘I love you …’ She just tapped on the door and said goodbye,” the 28-year-old Aaron man recalled.

Two days later, Mandy’s car was found locked and abandoned near a ravine on Park Boulevard. Her purse, containing her wallet, identification, iPod, and cell phone, was found in the vehicle. A check of cell phone records revealed Mandy had been talking with her boyfriend in New York while she would have been driving. Further investigation uncovered the call had been disconnected but investigators are unsure of whether it was because of disrupted service or the phone was turned off. The car’s battery was dead. It had been towed because it was blocking traffic.

More: http://truecrimezine.com/alicia-aman...ornia-missing/
    FOR THE MISSING: PACIFIC NORTHWEST - Highlighting missing persons in the Pacific Northwest - www.facebook.com/missingnorthwest / www.twitter.com/MissingNW
    STILL DOING IT FOR DYLAN GROENE. REST IN PEACE.

HELP FIND MISSING 7-YEAR-OLD PATRICK ALFORD.

FOOTY/SOCCER FAN? Join us here.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

I have watched the Disappeared show on this case a few times now as there is alot of reruns of the shows on Disappeared and to me It's pretty clear the brother either did it or knows exactly who did.. I really was confused however with how the mother was in complete denile when it's so obvious ..
    Everything I Write Is JMHO ..

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CanManEh For This Useful Post:

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MagnoliaMountain For This Useful Post:

After watching the Disappeared episode, I think the brother has all the answers.

I'm not sure if he did it, but if he didn't, I think he definitely knows who did. He sends up so many red flags, especially with accessing her bank account after her disappearance.

Although I find it interesting that she spoke to her boyfriend on the phone for a short time after she was meant to have left the house.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hoshizora For This Useful Post:

I can't find anything more recent than arrests and mugshots from 2011 when googling Mandy's brother's full name (David Aaron Stokes).

I believe he either killed her or knows who did it and won't tell... I'm wondering how he's been living with that guilt.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MagnoliaMountain For This Useful Post:

Thinking of Mandy. I wish someone would talk and tell her loved ones where to find her remains.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MagnoliaMountain For This Useful Post:

Like many others on here, I heard about this case through the episode of ‘Disappeared’. I think the general consensus is that her brother definitely was involved, if not directly, then he at least has more knowledge about it than he is disclosing. Heroin is an absolute horror of a drug, and I have seen first hand how opiate addiction can transform people, changing some of the nicest people you would have ever known, people who you know have good hearts, into total monsters. That drug, and maybe even more so the user's fear of withdrawal, can completely overwhelm a user's mind and nothing else matters. The family is probably in denial because the brother they may have known and loved isn't the person he turned into, and they can't accept that. It's probably a huge block in their ability to look at the case and the facts in front of them and realize something is not right with their brother and his behavior. Hopefully soon he gets help or has some kind of personal epiphany, and gives his family some peace, if he really does know what happened to Mandy. I hope they get some closure soon. Time has a way of changing people's hearts and minds, and maybe someone who knows more or can help LE pull this case together better will come forward soon...
    “the highest forms of understanding we can achieve are laughter and human compassion.”
    — richard feynman

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bearfossils For This Useful Post:

what if?

they had a very loud argument. she did a football move to get past him from being backed into a corner & she went inside her apartment. they were arguing about money & how she was having to support him. maybe she was going to cut him off & he got hostile & thats when she decided to run past him. i can't imagine having to run past my brother like that in an argument, she must have been scared. i dont remember anything him going into the apartment (only his story says he did).

she was on the phone with bf driving down the road when the phone cut off. maybe brother was hiding in back seat of car & when she started telling bf how she was mad at brother, brother jumped up from the back seat & took the phone causing it to hang up. he got mad beause of the conversation she was having about him & he was still enraged that she was cutting him off financially.

maybe he kills her in the car, drives her body back to the house, then later puts her body back into the car & dumps her in a landfill.

apartments should have had video that should have been viewed.
    any stop lights near where the car was found should have had video footage, this could have been viewed to see who was driving.
    landfill was never searched.
    brother needs to take a lie detector.
    warrant should have been obtained to search apartment BEFORE her family packed her stuff.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to chelle25 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast