John Douglas at Crime Library? HMMMMM

Ames

Reaction score
http://boards.crimelibrary.com/showthread.php?t=287190

A POST BY JOHN DOUGLAS...you guys may have seen this already (I have been away having a baby).

JonBenet Ramsey REVISITED - One Expert's Opinion
A year has passed since the arrest of John Mark Karr. Remember him? He’s the convicted child molester who confessed to the December 26, 1996 murder of six-year-old JonBenet Ramsey. I spent 25 years working as a pioneering criminal profiler for the FBI and of all the homicide cases that I’ve been involved with, the JonBenet case has caused me the most headaches. That’s because, unlike many of my peers in law enforcement, I believe that John and Patsy Ramsey had absolutely nothing to do with the brutal death of their daughter.

I first became associated with the case two weeks after the murder. The Ramseys’ defense team called and asked me if I’d be interested in consulting on the case. Like the rest of the world, I believed that the parents were guilty and relished the opportunity to crack the case. I told the lead attorney: “You can buy my time, but you’re not going to buy my opinion.”

A few days later, I arrived at the Ramsey’s home in Boulder, Colo. Before long, I began interviewing everyone connected with the case, including JonBenet’s parents. After a career spent working on literally thousands of grisly homicide cases, it was only natural that they should be considered the prime suspects in the case. Yet after being advised of the coroners preliminary findings, conducting a crime scene assessment at the Ramsey residence, I concluded that the Ramsey’s were innocent of the murder. Why? For one simple reason: JonBenet’s murder was far too brutal and violent to have been perpetrated by her parents. When parents kill, it is extremely rare for the victim to be brutalized in the way JonBenet was. She was also sexually assaulted and, just before she took her last breath, her skull was crushed with a blow so powerful that, according the coroner it would have “dropped a two-hundred pound man.”

The crime reflected what we refer to as "overkill,” meaning the killer went far beyond what was necessary to kill this small child. I interpreted the extreme violence as personalized aggression from someone I believe who used the child for his displaced aggression, whether real or imagined in his mind, against the Ramsey family.

So who do I think did it? A year ago, when John Mark Karr first confessed to the crime, I was intrigued, to say the least. But it didn’t take long before I – and the rest of the world – realized that Karr was nothing more than a pathetic publicity-hungry child molester. Today, the one thing I do know is that John and Patsy (who died June 24, 2006) Ramsey are innocent. Few people may still not want to hear that, including a number of local and federal law enforcement investigators. One of parent’s greatest fears is to lose a child in a senseless crime. An even greater tragedy is to be falsely accused of murdering your child. Unfortunately, and sadly, this is what happened to the Ramsey family.

John Douglas
Former FBI agent and pioneer serial killer profiler
Author of Inside the Mind of BTK
www.johndouglasmindhunter.com

A POST BY JOHN DOUGLAS... I concluded that the Ramsey’s were innocent of the murder. Why? For one simple reason: JonBenet’s murder was far too brutal and violent to have been perpetrated by her parents. When parents kill, it is extremely rare for the victim to be brutalized in the way JonBenet was....
John Douglas

I disagree....see Diane Downs, Darlie Routier, Susan Smith.....

It's a lot worse than that, sharkeyes. His own writings prior to the crime fly in his own face. So in order for me to believe that his conclusions in this case are legit, I have to believe that his earlier writings are lies.

I disagree....see Diane Downs, Darlie Routier, Susan Smith.....

Yep, I disagree too!!! Just in case you didn't know...I am RDI....I just wanted to post John Douglas' post over here....since he went and joined CrimeLibrary.

It's a lot worse than that, sharkeyes. His own writings prior to the crime fly in his own face. So in order for me to believe that his conclusions in this case are legit, I have to believe that his earlier writings are lies.

I agree!!! He must have been taking up for the Ramseys, because his book "Mindhunter" was found on the nightstand, in the bedroom. Him being on their side, is his way of saying..."thank you for buying my book....you know, the one that talks about STAGING". :rolleyes:

And of course, God forbid anyone see his book as a "how-to" manual for staging a crime. No wonder he tries to exhonerate the Rs.

A POST BY JOHN DOUGLAS...you guys may have seen this already (I have been away having a baby).

JonBenet Ramsey REVISITED - One Expert's Opinion
A year has passed since the arrest of John Mark Karr. Remember him? He’s the convicted child molester who confessed to the December 26, 1996 murder of six-year-old JonBenet Ramsey. I spent 25 years working as a pioneering criminal profiler for the FBI and of all the homicide cases that I’ve been involved with, the JonBenet case has caused me the most headaches. That’s because, unlike many of my peers in law enforcement, I believe that John and Patsy Ramsey had absolutely nothing to do with the brutal death of their daughter.

I first became associated with the case two weeks after the murder. The Ramseys’ defense team called and asked me if I’d be interested in consulting on the case. Like the rest of the world, I believed that the parents were guilty and relished the opportunity to crack the case. I told the lead attorney: “You can buy my time, but you’re not going to buy my opinion.”

A few days later, I arrived at the Ramsey’s home in Boulder, Colo. Before long, I began interviewing everyone connected with the case, including JonBenet’s parents. After a career spent working on literally thousands of grisly homicide cases, it was only natural that they should be considered the prime suspects in the case. Yet after being advised of the coroners preliminary findings, conducting a crime scene assessment at the Ramsey residence, I concluded that the Ramsey’s were innocent of the murder. Why? For one simple reason: JonBenet’s murder was far too brutal and violent to have been perpetrated by her parents. When parents kill, it is extremely rare for the victim to be brutalized in the way JonBenet was. She was also sexually assaulted and, just before she took her last breath, her skull was crushed with a blow so powerful that, according the coroner it would have “dropped a two-hundred pound man.”

The crime reflected what we refer to as "overkill,” meaning the killer went far beyond what was necessary to kill this small child. I interpreted the extreme violence as personalized aggression from someone I believe who used the child for his displaced aggression, whether real or imagined in his mind, against the Ramsey family.

So who do I think did it? A year ago, when John Mark Karr first confessed to the crime, I was intrigued, to say the least. But it didn’t take long before I – and the rest of the world – realized that Karr was nothing more than a pathetic publicity-hungry child molester. Today, the one thing I do know is that John and Patsy (who died June 24, 2006) Ramsey are innocent. Few people may still not want to hear that, including a number of local and federal law enforcement investigators. One of parent’s greatest fears is to lose a child in a senseless crime. An even greater tragedy is to be falsely accused of murdering your child. Unfortunately, and sadly, this is what happened to the Ramsey family.

John Douglas

Interesting post, especially since I watched with my own eyes as John Douglas accepted congratulations from a reporter about his opinion on the Ramseys and the fact that John Mark Karr admitted killing JonBenet.

He is so extremely full of it.

And parents don't brutalize children in this way. Right John, tell that to the little girl who was tied to the radiator by her stepfather and summarily beaten every day until she died. She was 4 I believe. He also starved her. I would say that is up there with the JonBenet Ramsey case.

And what about Jason Midyette. His brain was flat against his skull from beating beat.

For one simple reason: JonBenet’s murder was far too brutal and violent to have been perpetrated by her parents. When parents kill, it is extremely rare for the victim to be brutalized in the way JonBenet was. She was also sexually assaulted and, just before she took her last breath, her skull was crushed with a blow so powerful that, according the coroner it would have “dropped a two-hundred pound man.”

My question to John Ramsey. Lets see if he answers.

Subject
Other
Message: Regarding the Ramsey case, you have said that you don't believe parents brutalize their children in the way JonBenet was. What about the Jason Midyette case whose brain was flat against his skull from being beat or the little Puerto Rican 5 year old in New York who was tied to a radiator and summarily beaten and starved until she died.

Why would you make a statement like that.

Appreciate an answer. Thank you

just before she took her last breath, her skull was crushed with a blow so powerful that, according the coroner it would have “dropped a two-hundred pound man.”

oh come on now...he had to have realized the skull fracture likely occurred first.IMO it did;it doesn't make logical sense to manually strangle a child in a rage by her shirt collar if she's already unconcious.that had to have happened b/c JB was struggling w/ Patsy,thus Patsy's flashbacks of hearing JB scream.

Let's face it, some of the people who were RDI believers, even experts, in the beginning and who did provide some solid expert opinions 11 years ago ( almost) are getting old. Most have probably been influenced by the Rams' power, the power of Lin Wood, and maybe they are losing some cognitive memory along the way too.

Henry Lee and Cyril Wecht have had some public problems with the validity of their testimony and Wecht, whose opinion I considered golden in JBR's case at the time, has even faced charges of wrongdoing in his work, unrelated to this case.
Henry Lee was hard to understand 10 years ago, now he doesn't even make sense when discussing blood evidence because he contradicts himself.

I agree that Douglas's profile fit the Ramseys until they hired him and had Smit work on him. I guess John D. prayed with them too.
Douglas did a tremendous service in the history and development of FBI profiling as a science. But he is getting way up in years.
IMO, it's time these guys quit taking money for their paid " knowledge" and either told the truth or did the honorable thing, and kept silent.

Let's face it, some of the people who were RDI believers, even experts, in the beginning and who did provide some solid expert opinions 11 years ago ( almost) are getting old. Most have probably been influenced by the Rams' power, the power of Lin Wood, and maybe they are losing some cognitive memory along the way too.

Henry Lee and Cyril Wecht have had some public problems with the validity of their testimony and Wecht, whose opinion I considered golden in JBR's case at the time, has even faced charges of wrongdoing in his work, unrelated to this case.
Henry Lee was hard to understand 10 years ago, now he doesn't even make sense when discussing blood evidence because he contradicts himself.

I agree that Douglas's profile fit the Ramseys until they hired him and had Smit work on him. I guess John D. prayed with them too.
Douglas did a tremendous service in the history and development of FBI profiling as a science. But he is getting way up in years.
IMO, it's time these guys quit taking money for their paid " knowledge" and either told the truth or did the honorable thing, and
kept silent.

I totally agree,all of it.
I didn't exactly see Smit jumping up and down when Karr came onto the scene...you'd think he would have been the first to acknowledge such a suspect.Instead,his silence was deafening.He needs to come clean,now,and not later.

Interesting post, especially since I watched with my own eyes as John Douglas accepted congratulations from a reporter about his opinion on the Ramseys and the fact that John Mark Karr admitted killing JonBenet.

I saw the same thing. He was shamelessly hawking himself, just oozing self-righteousness. Now he says, he knew all the time that Karr was a phony. He sure has a bad memory for a lawman.

I saw the same thing. He was shamelessly hawking himself, just oozing self-righteousness. Now he says, he knew all the time that Karr was a phony. He sure has a bad memory for a lawman.

SuperDave,

John Douglas' record in terms of self-righteousness cannot be sustained his past reporting methodology has been called into question e.g. with regard to a naval investigation.

SuperDave,

John Douglas' record in terms of self-righteousness cannot be sustained his past reporting methodology has been called into question e.g. with regard to a naval investigation.

SuperDave,

Search google using the words smerick douglas reno waco and cross-reference using Congressman William H. Zeliff, JR. Tuesday August 1, 1995

smerick reported to douglas he in turn to the FBI nominally they in turn to reno?

It should suggest reports were amended , neglecting expert opinion in favor of a negotiated response to a tactical response.

Or that a version of events was constructed to rationalise away the outcome? Either way pragmatism appears to have won out over ethics?

SuperDave,

I am sure you mean someting here UK, but what is it?

I am sure you mean someting here UK, but what is it?

Solace,
It has been alleged that on more than one occassion John Douglas authored or ordered that biased reports be written and entered as evidence thereby neglecting any prevailing expert opinion?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back