Identified! LA - Sabine Parish, WhtMale 1142UMLA, 30-45, healed GSW to hip, Apr'86 - Lester Rome *Arrest*

Rle7

Reaction score
I couldn't find this unidentified on the doenetwork:

Ted DeLacerda has just one bit of unfinished business before he ends a 33-year law enforcement career March 14.

And that's to put a name with unidentified human remains labeled only as LSU case 06-12-C that sit in storage at the LSU Forensic Anthropology and Computer Enhancement Services Laboratory in Baton Rouge.

"I would like to get this one solved before I retire and at least have a name and a Christian burial," DeLacerda said. "A person needs that dignity."

DeLacerda, the chief investigator for the DeSoto-Sabine district attorney's offices for 21 years who spent the previous 12 years with the Many Police Department before retiring as assistant chief, is a walking encyclopedia of major crime happenings in Sabine Parish during his tenure. That's why he can still recite with ease the circumstances surrounding the discovery of the unidentified remains April 18, 1986.

The partially decomposed body pulled from a well on friends' property on Recknor Road is only the second unsolved homicide in Sabine Parish, he said.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071217/NEWS01/712170308

Wondering about this UID as a possible:

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/10594/23/

There are things I like about this match and things I don't.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/images/1142UMLA.jpg
https://www.findthemissing.org/photos/full/19574

Age is right and timeframe of disappearance. I think there is a resemblance.

Donald was at a Health Fair in Atlanta when he disappeared. (Doesn't say if this fair catered to the public or health professionals, but could explain urine cup?

Donald was presumably in business attire. The photo shows him wearing a blazer possibly similar to the one the UID was found in.

But ten hours is a long distance. Also there is no mention that he had a limp.

Thoughts?

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Original
1142UMLA.jpg

Robert Dale Casto bears a strong resemblance to this UID, imo. He's only 21yo while the UID is an estimated 30-45yo. Robert is missing from Arlington, TX which is only about 4 hours away from Sabine Parish, LA. There is a three year time span between Robert's Nov. '83 disappearance and the UID's discovery in Apr. '86. There's no mention of gsw to Robert's left hip but that could have happened after he disappeared. No mention of dental work either.

Case #06-12-C - LA Repository for Unidentified & Missing People
Case #06-12-C
Date found: 1986-04-18
PMI: 6 months to 1 year

Est. age at death: 30 to 45
Sex: male
Race: white
Dental Records: Unavailable
DNA Records: Available
FACES Case #: 06-12-C

Identifying features
possibly in blue shirt, blue knit pants, brown belt, blazer, cloth sneaker

Contact us
If you have any information concerning this case please contact the FACES Lab.
Teresa Wilson, Assistant Research Professor, LSU - (225) 578-4761
Maria Allaire, Research Associate, LSU - (225) 578-4775

Wondering about this UID as a possible:

There are things I like about this match and things I don't.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/images/1142UMLA.jpg

Age is right and timeframe of disappearance. I think there is a resemblance.

Donald was at a Health Fair in Atlanta when he disappeared. (Doesn't say if this fair catered to the public or health professionals, but could explain urine cup?

Donald was presumably in business attire. The photo shows him wearing a blazer possibly similar to the one the UID was found in.

But ten hours is a long distance. Also there is no mention that he had a limp.

Thoughts?
I like this potential. Did you ever submit this to LE/NamUs?

More skeletal remains recovered from abandoned well in Sabine

608728dd3cd90.image.jpg

More skeletal remains and other undisclosed items were recovered last week when divers re-entered an abandoned water well in rural Sabine Parish.
---
Investigators were unable to determine a DNA profile from the remains recovered 35 years ago. But the additional information found recently leads Sabine authorities to believe the remains are those of a missing person from Grand Isle.
---
His dental profile and an old shotgun injury to the hip provided valuable identifiers to the forensic examiners but still wasn't enough for a positive identification.

The bones and other items removed from the well last week have been sent to FACES for further DNA analysis and possible identification.

More skeletal remains recovered from abandoned well in Sabine

https://www.katc.com/news/covering-...isle-man-found-37-years-after-he-went-missing

And yesterday, on October 18, the mystery of Lester Rome's disappearance was solved when Sabine Parish Coroner Dr. Mark Holder issued a Fact of Death Certificate stating the skeletal remains recovered from the well were those of Lester Rome. Next of kin has been notified.

Sabine Parish Sheriff Detectives are still investigating this case and searching for more information that may lead to the person(s) responsible for the death of Lester Rome.

Lester J. Rome is the only man listed as missing from Grand Isle before 1986. Most of his characteristics don't seem to match (toupee, older, PM interval a bit long, etc.) but possible. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

The UID still isn't in Namus so I can't get a list of exclusions.
More than possible...it's a match.;) Lester's photo and the reconstruction remind me to pay close attention to the bone structure and sizes of facial features (i.e., forehead, chin, nose, eyes, etc.). Based on the descriptions given for Lester and his UID profile, except for the healed GSW, I wouldn't have thought this was a match. o_O

Profile Descriptors: UID's (Lester's)
Date found: 1986-04-18 (Lester - 01/09/1984)
PMI: 6 months to 1 year (Lester - 2 yrs. 3 mos)
Estimated age: 30-45 years old (Lester - 57 years old)

Recknor Rd., Sabine Parish to Grand Isle, LA. - approx. 6 hours according to Google Maps. My guess is whomever is responsible for putting Lester's remains in the well likely frequented the Toledo Bend Reservoir area or lived in the area but worked somewhere in/near the Gulf of Mexico. MOO

Lester J. Rome – The Charley Project
https://i.ibb.co/H24grfg/Lester-Rome.jpg
Lester-Rome.jpg

Rest in peace, Mr. Rome. May justice come quickly.

Objects found in well alongside human remains in Sabine Parish could lead to an arrest

La- Sabine Parish Detective Chris Abrahams says that evidence found in a well may lead to an arrest in a decades old cold case. The case took a big step this week as the Sabine Parish Coroner was able to confirm, after several years, that human remains belong to a man missing since the 1980's.

But, significantly, several objects were pulled up as well. These were then used to identify the remains as belonging to Lester Rome.

KTBS asked Abrahams what objects were pulled out of the well. He did not want to say because he felt confident that the objects were evidence that could lead to an arrest soon. How soon exactly? Abrahams wouldn't say. He only added that "it's not like in the movies, these things take time."

Mississippi man charged with murder of man whose remains were found in well more than 30 years ago - Magnolia State Live

A Mississippi man has been charged in the death of a Louisiana man who disappeared in 1984 and whose remains were found in well in 1986.

Delwin Avard Sibley, 74, was arrested Thursday by U.S. Marshals at his home in Biloxi and charged with second-degree murder in the death of Lester Rome.
Kudos to LE on a quick arrest. It'll be interesting to see how this case unfolds. TY for the update.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back