Identified! TX - Houston, 'Beloved Doe', 4-5, in apt dumpster, Mar'03 - Jose Martinez

Paradise

Reaction score
618UMTX.jpg
618UMTX2.jpg
618UMTX3.jpg
618UMTX4.jpg

Unidentified White or Hispanic Male Child

• The victim was discovered on March 13, 2003 in Houston, Harris County, Texas​
  • Cause of Death: Homicide by starvation​
  • Formerly Hot Case # 23​
  • The dumpster was emptied within the twenty-four hours prior to the discovery of the boy's body​

Estimated age: 4 - 5 years old

Approximate Height and Weight: 21 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair; dark eyes. Some agencies list him with brown hair and brown eyes. He had extremely bushy eyebrows and long eyelashes. His right ear is far larger than his left ear. He had surgical-type scars on his body: a 1.5-centimeter well-healed scar on the right side of the boy's neck overlying his jugular area could have been from an IV once placed there; the boy also had two small vertical linear scars on his abdomen. Doctors told investigators the boy may have had a gastrostomy tube placed in his stomach at one time, which may be the result of a laparoscopy.
Clothing: Found wrapped in gray colored afghan style blanket and placed in a red and white checkered bag. He was wearing only a diaper with bears on the front.
AKA: "Beloved Doe"

This unidentified child was discovered in the morning hours of March 13th, 2003 at the Willow Creek Apartment complex in Houston, Texas. The child had been wrapped in a gray colored afghan style blanket and placed in a red and white checkered bag, then thrown into the dumpster. He was discovered by a maintenance man. Authorities initially believed the child was 3 or 4 years old, but examination determined that the child was actually between four and five-years old. The child was extremely skinny as he had been starved to death. As a result, he would have appeared very thin before his death. Surgical-type scars on the boy's body suggest he had received medical care in the past, but police investigators and child advocates believe his family was later unable to seek such help for some reason. The boy perhaps had medical problems and his family may have become unable to care for him and was too scared to take him to a doctor, police suspect.​
Authorities suspect the family probably tried to feed him, but maybe he got sick, stopped eating, and they couldn't make him eat, and he got worse and worse, and they didn't get him medical attention. The family probably felt like they couldn't go to a doctor at that point because they'd get in trouble. Aside from acute malnutrition, an autopsy found no other signs of abuse or old injuries to the child's body, deepening the mystery. Despite the neglect, someone took the time to closely cut his hair with clippers and trim his nails before throwing his body away.​

618UMTX1.jpg
Gray colored afghan style blanket and red and white checkered bag

http://doenetwork.org/cases/618umtx.html

I didn't see a thread for this young boy. Looking at the pics on the Doe Network, and having talked to the detective, the 3rd pic is actually drawn from his death photo. The last 3 make him look like a teenager for some reason. The medical examiner put his age between 4 and 5. He was starved to death, no other signs of abuse. A really sad story, and not a lot of news coverage on him at the time. He seemed to slip through the cracks. Can we see if we can help?

I made him a MySpace page at http://www.myspace.com/beloveddoe

I have seen this case before and I for one am glad you started a thread. Someone appears to have loved this little one on some level-I wonder if he was autistic? In any case, I would think that the local children's hospitals would be familiar with this kind of case...pic lines or jugular IV's aren't common nor are feeding tubes....

I have seen this case before and I for one am glad you started a thread. Someone appears to have loved this little one on some level-I wonder if he was autistic? In any case, I would think that the local children's hospitals would be familiar with this kind of case...pic lines or jugular IV's aren't common nor are feeding tubes....

Thanks for your post. I talked to the detective today, and he was hoping that they were going to be able to distribute a new flyer to medical facilities. While we were on the phone, he got word that that plan fell through...? Sounded to me like a good plan. But now that you have brought it up, it brought a thought to me, and I am going to run a search on MySpace and request friends with nurses in the Houston area, join nursing groups, etc. Maybe someone will recognize him that way. We're up to over 200 friends now.

Curious that the department was not able to generate the flyers-is it a resource issue I wonder? I do agree that his features are unusual and if you take a look at his eyebrows and hairline, not to mention his ears and bone structure, it seems that something is clearly different about him. I think he looks older than 6, but that could be because of his thinness. I think the hospitals will be key to his identity-he would definitely be a patient to remember.... it is clear that at least at one point he required medical intervention to be fed...

Curious that the department was not able to generate the flyers-is it a resource issue I wonder?

Sorry, I guess I confused you there - the flyers got posted on the TXDPS website, just not distributed to the medical centers as he had hoped. The flyer is posted now, jodierenee posted the link above. (thanks jodierenee)

I wonder if he had this disorder: Coffin-Lowry

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/coffin_lowry/coffin_lowry.htm

If so, that may help them find out where he could have been treated.

WOW !! That's interesting and could sure be a possibility after reading the info. Do you mind if I pass this on to the detective?

Not at all. The large ears and bushy eyebrows stood out to me. It also mentions feeding/breathing problems. I am trying to see if I can come up with any other posible disorders that may fit.

ETA; The pictures of the kids with this syndrome have ears just like Beloved.

You all rock! I bet that you guys nailed it...the clean body, cut hair and nails just doesn't indicate standard abuse...that and the g tube scar.

My son was born March 12, 2003. I can understand why this did not get a lot of media play. That was the day Elizabeth Smart was found. Plus it was at the start of the current Gulf War. I know that's all that was on the TV around that time. Not that it's right, but as we all know cases like Elizabeth Smart's get more coverage than others. I wonder if his or his parents legal status played a role in his loss of medical care. Such a shame.

My son was born March 12, 2003. I can understand why this did not get a lot of media play. That was the day Elizabeth Smart was found. Plus it was at the start of the current Gulf War. I know that's all that was on the TV around that time. Not that it's right, but as we all know cases like Elizabeth Smart's get more coverage than others. I wonder if his or his parents legal status played a role in his loss of medical care. Such a shame.

That is what I was wondering also. Maybe they were here illegally and for some reason could no longer get him medical help and without it he starved to death? They were afraid of being deported, so they abandoned his little body. I think the little guy is closer to 7 or 8 though, than 3. He may be small, but he doesn't look like a toddler.

That is what I was wondering also. Maybe they were here illegally and for some reason could no longer get him medical help and without it he starved to death? They were afraid of being deported, so they abandoned his little body. I think the little guy is closer to 7 or 8 though, than 3. He may be small, but he doesn't look like a toddler.

I agree whole heartedly that he looks more like 7-8....barb, is there a chance that the detective might be willing to have someone check for genetic disease on him? I am sure they have tissue etc?? for example the NIH link provided states this:
"The disorder is caused by a defective gene, RSK2, which was found in 1996 on the X chromosome (Xp22.2-p22.1)." It would be pretty simple to check for defective genes....

I agree, he had some sort of genetic defect. he looks older than 3-4, more like 7-8 to me, why would a child that old be in diapers? Then from reading about the IV and stomach thing, then I saw the post mortem picture. i think this is jsut a simple case of the little boy being gravely ill, the parents were possible illegal or just really poor, the kid dies, and they didn't know what to do.

I agree, he had some sort of genetic defect. he looks older than 3-4, more like 7-8 to me, why would a child that old be in diapers? Then from reading about the IV and stomach thing, then I saw the post mortem picture. i think this is jsut a simple case of the little boy being gravely ill, the parents were possible illegal or just really poor, the kid dies, and they didn't know what to do.

I agree too. Perhaps his medical insurance reached the maximum life time coverage, the family exceeded the limit for government assistance and exhausted all options. It's obvious this child had medical care at one time and finding where and who treated this child is the key to finding his identity.

My son was born March 12, 2003 too !! I remember Elizabeth's case being all over the news that day...

How can someone do this to a child? I hope this little guy gets some justice!

I agree whole heartedly that he looks more like 7-8....barb, is there a chance that the detective might be willing to have someone check for genetic disease on him? I am sure they have tissue etc?? for example the NIH link provided states this:
"The disorder is caused by a defective gene, RSK2, which was found in 1996 on the X chromosome (Xp22.2-p22.1)." It would be pretty simple to check for defective genes....

I'm going to send some of the info on the condition to the detective. When I looked at other links, some of the researchers are in Houston, so he may be able to get help there. There is no testing available except in research labs, so maybe they can help him with that. If not, maybe they know of someone who might have treated him.

As always, you guys are great !! Knew I could get help for him here. I also looked at missing children and found a few possibilities I'm going to do some more research on. Some of the things with this disorder don't show up until later in childhood, so it's hard to tell.

Also what about possible Charge Syndrome. If you do a search on google or yahoo, for asymmetrical ears, charge syndrome is a syndrome that keeps coming up in searches on almost every site. You can see photos of children there with Charge Syndrome.

Kel

Hey, March 12 is my b-day, too! I remember being captivated by the Elizabeth Smart return, but also remember this little guy because I was living in Houston at the time.

It would seem obvious that the police would look at the hospitals, wouldn't it? Esp Texas Children's and Memorial Hermann. Harris Co Health Dept and City of Houston would also be a good place to send the flyer to, as the mother might have received pre/post natal care there and nurses/doctors would be aware of this child. WIC offices might remember this child's family, too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back