CANADA Canada - Lois Hanna, 25, Kincardine, Ont, 4 July 1988

Rle7

Reaction score
Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: February 3, 1963
Age at Time of Disappearance: 25 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4; 120 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown, curly hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: She has a scar on her upper right leg.
Clothing: Possibly a peach-colored nightgown and robe.
Dentals: Her teeth were in good condition at the time of her disappearance.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Hanna attended the "Celebrate In '88" festival at the Lucknow Arena in Ontario, Canada on July 3, 1988. She was accompanied by her family and friends at the event. Hanna left the arena at approximately 11:45 PM that evening, saying that she was tired and needed to report to work the following morning. Hanna drove her red 1987 Pontiac Grand Am back to her residence on Nelson Street in Kincardine. She arrived home at approximately 12:15 AM on July 4.
Authorities have surmised that Hanna may have been followed home or perhaps her house was being watched for her arrival.
Her burgundy Grand Am was parked in the driveway. The television set was still on and a half-finished cup of tea was on her kitchen counter. The pink outfit she'd worn to the dance was hung neatly in her mirrored closet. Her purse and keys were in the china cupboard where she always kept them. There was no sign of a struggle.
The only items missing were her peach nightgown and matching robe. The only clue was two drops of blood found later on a wall near the side door.
Hanna has never been seen again. She was reported missing to the police department after she failed to report to work, at MacG's, a women's clothing store in Kincardine, later in the morning of July 4. Hanna is a former Miss Mid-western Ontario beauty queen and had studied fashion at Fanshawe College.
Police believe Hanna was followed home from the dance and abducted. Foul play is suspected.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Hanna's whereabouts, please contact:
Ontario Provincial Police Kincardine
519-396-3341

You may remain anonymous when submitting information to any agency.
NCIC Number:
M-793717718
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case. Source Information:
Ontario Provincial Police

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/336dfon.html

Every December, like clockwork, Jim and Dave Hanna would surrender their credit cards to their sister Lois.

She would do all of their Christmas shopping for them, carefully selecting, buying and wrapping gifts for everyone on their lists. This became a cherished annual tradition, something to which the entire family looked forward.

"It was always a surprise for everybody in the room because nobody had a clue what we were giving to anybody else," Jim said of Christmas Day, chuckling, "Lois loved Christmas. It was fun watching her go through the day because she just loved it so much. Lois made it fun."

Now he says, "Christmas is a day we endure."

Lois Hanna would turn 45 on Feb. 3, but her birthday too goes uncelebrated by the family. It is commemorated - her brothers always make sure one of them is with their mother, Olive - but never celebrated.

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=822265&auth=Jonathon+Jackson

Two pea-sized drops of blood.

They are the only usable physical evidence ever found by police in the Lois Hanna case.

The drops were found on a wall next to the side door of Lois' Kincardine home. For years, all that was known about the blood was that it came from a male.

In 1998, DNA technology provided the OPP with a list of 14 persons of interest, all men. Police worked to eliminate names from that list, and said in early 1999 they had been watching one of those men for the nine months. OPP Det.-Insp. Walter Baker said at the time that police were "cautiously optimistic there will be some resolution."

That resolution is still awaited. Det.-Const. Andre Bayard says all but one person has been excluded from consideration. One name remains on the list. Bayard will not identify that person, nor will he discuss what police are trying to do to either exclude or implicate him. He will not comment on whether it is the same person the OPP tried to focus on in July 1988. When Lois had been missing for less than a week the OPP believed they knew who had taken her from her home.

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=822283&auth=Jonathon+Jackson

Dr. Jerry Sovka (a nuclear engineer) is Russel William's stepfather. He was involved with the Douglas Point Nuclear plant in the Kincardine area which is a popular summer resort. Russel Williams may have had knowledge and access to this area via Dr. Sovka his step-father.

Russel Williams would have been the same age as Lois Hanna a woman who went missing at the age of 24 in the 80's from her home. There was another girl that went missing around that time as well...from the Owen Sound area...but I can't remember her name. I think that Russel Williams got caught for his crimes in the Ottawa area but that there may be others that have spanned many years. Russel was living in Toronto at the time and it wouldn't be a leap to think he might have accessed the Lake Huron resort area. I was watching an interview a reporter with last name Worthington was on from the Toronto Sun about Paul Bernardo's father visiting his son and about how Russel William's wife has been in contact with him. Why would she want to talk to Paul Bernardo's father?

I also read an article where Paul Bernardo's father was asked if his son has ever indicated to him that he was friends with Russel Williams and he said he asked his son that and that Paul said no. But then his father said that he didn't know that Russel Williams was going by the name of Russel Sovka at the time they were both at U of T . He indicated that he would ask him that the next time he visits him but I don't think the media did any follow-up to that. Something else that was in the media was that Paul Bernardo told either investigators or his dad that the police should be looking at the activities of Russel Williams during the time when his hormone levels were at their highest. I thought this was interesting. In other words Paul Bernardo was saying look back in time.

I think that it is interesting that Russel Williams changed his name to Sovka. I wondered if he was already trying to cover his tracks by taking the opportunity to do this and then change back to Williams when he went into the military.

I am from the Lake Huron area where Lois Hanna went missing and I remember the other girl from Owen Sound area going missing as well. No one has found these women. I cannot imagine how her family goes on. I found it very traumatizing at the time because nothing like this had ever happened to my knowledge.

If you read the details involving Lois Hanna it sounds like the person may have been waiting inside her home which is something that Russel Williams would do. I saw a lady interviewed on TV that was victimized by Russel Williams...he was in her house, writing on her computer etc.

I just thought I should send this info to someone just in case there is something to my amateur attempt at investigation.

I also saw an interview of a man who was friends with Russel Williams when he was at either U of T or Upper Canada and said that Russel liked to hide in their rooms and come out and scare them which he thought was a little quirky but sees it totally different in hindsight.

Thanks for reading this. Not sure if you are still following this story or not but maybe some of this info. may assist in your research. It has always bothered me that these women were never found and no one has been held accountable. Apparently Paul Bernardo's name did come up at some point and it was discounted.

Russel Williams was with his step father Dr. Sovka since he was 6 and I would imagine he spent some time in the Douglas Point area over the years. This could be tracked back I am sure somehow. If I am correct I think 1988 was the year Russel Williams would have graduated from U of T and went into the Armed forces the following year. I believe he may have had a pilots license by then. But could be wrong on that.

Maybe you have already heard these theories anyways. But again...thanks. I hope others will continue to stay with this story as I feel that somehow it might contribute to finding out who committed these crimes and that some closure can be had.

Dr. Jerry Sovka (a nuclear engineer) is Russel William's stepfather. He was involved with the Douglas Point Nuclear plant in the Kincardine area which is a popular summer resort. Russel Williams may have had knowledge and access to this area via Dr. Sovka his step-father.

Russel Williams would have been the same age as Lois Hanna a woman who went missing at the age of 24 in the 80's from her home. There was another girl that went missing around that time as well...from the Owen Sound area...but I can't remember her name. I think that Russel Williams got caught for his crimes in the Ottawa area but that there may be others that have spanned many years. Russel was living in Toronto at the time and it wouldn't be a leap to think he might have accessed the Lake Huron resort area. I was watching an interview a reporter with last name Worthington was on from the Toronto Sun about Paul Bernardo's father visiting his son and about how Russel William's wife has been in contact with him. Why would she want to talk to Paul Bernardo's father?

I also read an article where Paul Bernardo's father was asked if his son has ever indicated to him that he was friends with Russel Williams and he said he asked his son that and that Paul said no. But then his father said that he didn't know that Russel Williams was going by the name of Russel Sovka at the time they were both at U of T . He indicated that he would ask him that the next time he visits him but I don't think the media did any follow-up to that. Something else that was in the media was that Paul Bernardo told either investigators or his dad that the police should be looking at the activities of Russel Williams during the time when his hormone levels were at their highest. I thought this was interesting. In other words Paul Bernardo was saying look back in time.

I think that it is interesting that Russel Williams changed his name to Sovka. I wondered if he was already trying to cover his tracks by taking the opportunity to do this and then change back to Williams when he went into the military.

I am from the Lake Huron area where Lois Hanna went missing and I remember the other girl from Owen Sound area going missing as well. No one has found these women. I cannot imagine how her family goes on. I found it very traumatizing at the time because nothing like this had ever happened to my knowledge.

If you read the details involving Lois Hanna it sounds like the person may have been waiting inside her home which is something that Russel Williams would do. I saw a lady interviewed on TV that was victimized by Russel Williams...he was in her house, writing on her computer etc.

I just thought I should send this info to someone just in case there is something to my amateur attempt at investigation.

I also saw an interview of a man who was friends with Russel Williams when he was at either U of T or Upper Canada and said that Russel liked to hide in their rooms and come out and scare them which he thought was a little quirky but sees it totally different in hindsight.

Thanks for reading this. Not sure if you are still following this story or not but maybe some of this info. may assist in your research. It has always bothered me that these women were never found and no one has been held accountable. Apparently Paul Bernardo's name did come up at some point and it was discounted.

Russel Williams was with his step father Dr. Sovka since he was 6 and I would imagine he spent some time in the Douglas Point area over the years. This could be tracked back I am sure somehow. If I am correct I think 1988 was the year Russel Williams would have graduated from U of T and went into the Armed forces the following year. I believe he may have had a pilots license by then. But could be wrong on that.

Maybe you have already heard these theories anyways. But again...thanks. I hope others will continue to stay with this story as I feel that somehow it might contribute to finding out who committed these crimes and that some closure can be had.

Hellkat - I too thought of Russell Williams when reading about Lois Hanna. Have you submitted your information or have you only posted it here?

I have just posted it here. I am new to this website. Submitted it where?

If you have any information concerning Hanna's whereabouts, please contact:
Ontario Provincial Police Kincardine
519-396-3341
You may remain anonymous when submitting information to any agency.
NCIC Number:
M-793717718
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

ETA - Welcome to Websleuths!

Lisa Maas

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1266dfon.html

http://www.engineering.ualberta.ca/...ngineerMagazinePDFs/UofA_Engineer_Sprin09.pdf

For your review. It is quite likely that Dr. Sovka was in Kincardine area with Russell Williams (Sovka) at the time. This area is a popular tourist destination and many as children who went there often come back to vacation.

I am saying that it is likely that Russel Williams is quite familiar with the area as he likely was up there with his step father Dr. Sovka.

Lisa Maas. Yes this is the girl. I remember her picture up on billboards. Thanks for letting me know this.

opp.isb.resolve@jus.gov.on.ca

I have emailed my information to the above email. I find it interesting that Lisa Maas and Lois Hannah both went missing the summer of 1988. I have also indicated this in hopes that they may consider Russell Williams as a possible person of interest in Lisa's case as well.

I also used the detectives name that is involved in the investigation.

The link to the reporting to police on the websleuths brought me to a Canadian MP website. It wasn't the police one.

opp.isb.resolve@jus.gov.on.ca

I have emailed my information to the above email. I find it interesting that Lisa Maas and Lois Hannah both went missing the summer of 1988. I have also indicated this in hopes that they may consider Russell Williams as a possible person of interest in Lisa's case as well.

I also used the detectives name that is involved in the investigation.

The link to the reporting to police on the websleuths brought me to a Canadian MP website. It wasn't the police one.
Edit/Delete Message

I received an email indicating they receive my information.

Anthony Ringel appears to have grown up in Chesley, Ontario, born 1968. Not sure where he went to high school.

Chesley is
--approximately 1 hour from where Lois Hanna went missing in Kincardine, Ontario, July 3 1988 (25, brown curly hair, 5'4, 119lbs, never found)
--approximately 1 hour from where Lisa Maas went missing in Woodford, Ontario, July 17 1988 (22, dark blonde, shoulder length straight hair, 4'10, 96lbs, never found) *her parents lived south of Chatsworth, about 30min from Chesley
--20 minutes from where Christine Harron went missing in Hanover, Ontario, May 18 1993 (15, brown curly hair, 5'5, 110lbs, never found)
--approximately 1 hour from where Mistie Murray went missing in Goderich, Ontario, May 31 1995 (16, brown curly hair, 5'3-5'4, 115lbs, never found)

evafiore That is very interesting. I wonder if the opp would be interested in this. They could test this guy's DNA and at least rule out if he was involved with Darryl Hanna?

Not sure how that would sit with a global audience, but as someone who grew up in the area and knows that this is a basically a collection of villages in a relatively remote area, I would say this is strange.

*Not sure that they would have DNA evidence as they've only found her car. And it's not Darryl Hanna, the celebrity...

Not sure how that would sit with a global audience, but as someone who grew up in the area and knows that this is a basically a collection of villages in a relatively remote area, I would say this is strange.

*Not sure that they would have DNA evidence as they've only found her car. And it's not Darryl Hanna, the celebrity...

I am so sorry....it is Lois Hanna. I too grew up in this area and am very familiar with surrounding areas. And I think around that time Russel Williams would be a suspect. Because he liked to hide and that is what I think went on with Lois. It could have been that two of them were operating in the same area. Because the guy from Chesley has some intellectual challenges so although this may seem presumptuous of me...I don't think he could pull off anything really sophisticated. And to me Lois Hanna went without a trace from her home. He was waiting in the house I think. So sad that they let that guy from Chesley out of jail because he likely killed more while he was out.

I'd somehow ruled it out due to the perp's level of sophistication, though due to Mistie Murray's case, and just living there, I know that (unfortunately) some LE and related bureaucracy are primitive (to say the least..potentially even counteractive, one of the main investigators, who'd suggested for years that Mistie's father was molesting her, was tried in court for similar charges). To sum it up, LE isn't the sharpest tool in the shed here. Here, if you can't...be a cop.

It may be a stretch, or not, that all of these cases are ignored due to negligence. Mistie Murray's was an obvious flub, as well as Christine Harron's...only a few thousand people adverse to it in a remote place in cottage country, with some police chiefs due for retirement...hohumm...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pandamom76
Back