985 users online (198 members and 787 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Student Claims Teacher Asked Her To Cover Up Lesbian Themed Shirt

RICHMOND, Va. — A Virginia high school student said she was asked by a teacher to cover up a lesbian-themed shirt or face suspension.
    Bethany Laccone, 17, said she was asked to cloak a logo of two interlocked female symbols while attending a class this month at I.C. Norcom High School in Portsmouth. She's a full-time senior at nearby Woodrow Wilson High School, where she has not faced a similar ultimatum.
    In a letter sent Thursday, the American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia asked Norcom administrators to remove any mention of the incident from Laccone's records and agree not to similarly censor other students.
    The school's dress code prohibits "bawdy, salacious or sexually suggestive messages." ACLU leaders want administrators to clarify that students can express political views.
    The ACLU gave the school until Jan. 11 to respond or face further action.
    "What's happening to Bethany Laccone is a clear-cut case of unconstitutional censorship," said Kent Willis, executive director of the Virginia chapter.
    School officials did not respond to repeated messages left by The Associated Press.

After Laccone's teacher asked her to cover the bright red shirt, she said she zipped up her jacket. One week later, she returned to class wearing the shirt.
    "It's my favorite T-shirt," said Laccone, who is a lesbian.
    more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317891,00.html

Hmmm...

I'd have to see the shirt. I know most school dress codes are pretty specific about nothing that refers to alcohol, drugs, sex, etc. I think this could fall into those guidelines, AND she had been warned not to wear it.

I know my kids are bummed that they cannot wear the t-shirt from their favorite restaurant to school b/c it says "Ice cold beer" on it in the adult sizes, which the boys wear. Luckily dress down days are few and far between for us! I love uniforms.

This seems simple enough.

The shirt had a logo of two interlocked female symbols on it. If the shirt had two interlocked people of the opposite sex would it still have been seen as salacious?

If the answer is yes then this is a dress code issue, not an ACLU issue.

If the answer is no, then this is the type of issue ACLU involves itself in.
    The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell

I think that ANY combination of the male, female symbols are inappropriate for a school setting.

Please. This seems so silly to me. I bet you half the students and probably some websleuthers don't even know what the symbols are.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterj View Post
    Please. This seems so silly to me. I bet you half the students and probably some websleuthers don't even know what the symbols are.
    If you believe that you are kidding yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by deanws View Post
    If you believe that you are kidding yourself!
    Actually I am not. The article isn't talking about 2 female shapes or bodies interlocking, it is talking about the actual symbols. Do you sincerely think every person in the world knows what they mean? You are being optimistic, my friend.

http://http://www.google.com/search?...=female+symbol

Actually I am not. The article isn't talking about 2 female shapes or bodies interlocking, it is talking about the actual symbols. Do you sincerely think every person in the world knows what they mean? You are being optimistic, my friend.

http://http://www.google.com/search?...=female+symbol
    I taught school. Even the elementary children know what those symbols mean.

Quote Originally Posted by deanws View Post
    I taught school. Even the elementary children know what those symbols mean.
    Perhaps your students knew what those symbols mean, but I have encountered many people who have no clue. We had this discussion at a family party when a cousin was wearing a Melissa Etheridge t-shirt with the symbol on it. I was pretty shocked how many educated people young and old didn't know what it meant.

Maybe your elementary students knew the symbols, and if that is the case, good for you for teaching them.

Perhaps your students knew what those symbols mean, but I have encountered many people who have no clue. We had this discussion at a family party when a cousin was wearing a Melissa Etheridge t-shirt with the symbol on it. I was pretty shocked how many educated people young and old didn't know what it meant.

Maybe your elementary students knew the symbols, and if that is the case, good for you for teaching them.
    I didn't teach them. I am shocked that you have met kids that didn't. Unfortunately, the kids in my class knew so many things...street wise that is.

I would be really surprised if someone, especially in HS, didn't know what it meant.

Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    I would be really surprised if someone, especially in HS, didn't know what it meant.
    In my town, children can't wear a shirt with any writing or symbols on it at all. Sometimes it made it hard to find a t-shirt without it.

the article states that her shirt 'upset' a conservative teacher who had problems teaching because it was an obvious lesbian shirt.

that's lame if you ask me. the fact that she couldn't celebrate her identity in what i think is a pretty tame matter, and that the newspaper specifically called out the teacher as conservative.... as if they are bad people who don't let others have the right to speak their mind. (or maybe they do i don't know i am not from the USA)

deanws, same here. Nothing on shirts is acceptable. No logos, no little crocodiles, no pictures of anything.
    Last edited by Taximom; 12-24-2007 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Don't want to be rude!

Big whoop. Leave the chick alone if they are allowed to wear T's with writing on them. Public schools here that have a dress code can't even enforce it. These kids got all kinds of violent images or writings. If I see one more "Scarface" T-shirt I'll scream. We also have T's that say "SNITCHES GET STITCHES". Big rule here that if you report a crime or dime somebody out you're done. In light of what I see I'd say leave the girl alone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast