Stripper tax to go to rape victems!!

Indy Gal

Former Member
Reaction score
This is awesome news!!!

http://www.ksat.com/news/14908589/detail.html

DALLAS -- Texas, where strip clubs have given rise to Anna Nicole Smith and many other less-generously endowed performers, is about to make it more expensive to watch a little bump and grind.

In what some have dubbed the "pole tax," the Lone Star State will require its 150 or so strip clubs to collect a $5-per-customer levy, with most of the proceeds going to help rape victims. The tax goes into effect on New Year's Day.

Okay i read the title as a stripper tax to go rape victims. I thought wth.

I'm truly embarrassed to say I'm from Texas.

Texas has always been loathe to pass a fair Income Tax like most other states, so instead they go slapping taxes on various and sundry small businesses, etc.

I believe in a liquor and cigarette tax, but if strippers are legal, and it's legal to go to them, why should that business pay for rape victims? It hurts the strippers and the small businesses if people don't come in because the tax has gotten higher?

Witness the statement by the Congresswoman who says, "This gives women a chance to help rape victims" DUH; I believe it's the men who'll be paying. It's men who rape; I guess the rationale is THEY will help rape victims. But what if they don't go now? The women are working at their job; some even trying to pay for college, as the article says.

That's nice, apparently in the mind of whoever came up with this crap there must be some kind of link between strippers and rape victims. You know, women in short skirts who are just asking for it - rape victims. Or would that be strippers?
It should be just as random as saying the 'pole tax' (yes Santa, that goes for you, too) will be used to help burn victims, but I have a strong suspicion that it isn't random like that. I have nothing against strippers but to link this 'pole tax' to rape victims is an insult.

Just IMO and my :twocents:.

That's nice, apparently in the mind of whoever came up with this crap there must be some kind of link between strippers and rape victims. You know, women in short skirts who are just asking for it - rape victims. Or would that be strippers?
It should be just as random as saying the 'pole tax' (yes Santa, that goes for you, too) will be used to help burn victims, but I have a strong suspicion that it isn't random like that. I have nothing against strippers but to link this 'pole tax' to rape victims is an insult.

Just IMO and my :twocents:.

I assume this is a take-off on the old "poll tax" we used to have?

It kind of sounds like they want to put a blame on someone and that those people should have to pay. Like its because of strippers that these women, who have nothing to do with stripping, get raped.

I think it just sounds strange. You wonder who thinks of these things sometimes.

It kind of sounds like they want to put a blame on someone and that those people should have to pay. Like its because of strippers that these women, who have nothing to do with stripping, get raped.

Exactly... I couldn't really put all my thoughts in writing because they're a jumble LOL, but that was part of my train of thought. Obviously they see some kind of connection, and it couldn't have been the local pussycat shelter. :rolleyes: :D

This is going to make it even more difficult to explain to high school students that Thoreau spent a night in jail for not paying his poll tax (in protest of government policies), as opposed to pole tax. :D
On the other hand, they might pay more attention if they thought he was coming into town from Walden Pond for a little bump & grind!

So this is a bad thing? I was just thinking anymore money we can give would be good.

HOORAY!! you're right indy, that IS awesome news!!

No problem! I kinda thought that to myself, but then I thought if it gets money to these women and children okay. I dont really know now, and will have to read more about it I guess. (blowkiss back atcha!)

well but why are they singling out THIS profession? i mean, don't they have any free speech rights?
i'm not a stripper, have never been, but that seems almost - i don't know... racist (whats the word for it... i'm lost!) if they are just singling out the strippers or THOSE clubs for this tax. they should do all clubs or none at all.
i mean, not everyone who goes to a strip club is a pervert. why tax them to help people who are victims of PERVERTS... that is almost like saying YOU are the problem, so we're going to tax you to help fix your victims...

well but why are they singling out THIS profession? i mean, don't they have any free speech rights?
i'm not a stripper, have never been, but that seems almost - i don't know... racist (whats the word for it... i'm lost!) if they are just singling out the strippers or THOSE clubs for this tax. they should do all clubs or none at all.
i mean, not everyone who goes to a strip club is a pervert. why tax them to help people who are victims of PERVERTS... that is almost like saying YOU are the problem, so we're going to tax you to help fix your victims...

I think b/c it is seen as a luxury or a vice. You can live without it. Like beer and cigarettes. It is bad PR to add taxes on gasoline or milk, but taxing alcohol or strip clubs is okay politically.

They figure this is disposable income. $5 is not going to make much of a difference to the men. And in reality it probably won't. That's why an ATM fee in a strip club might be as high as $5-10. Video games and pool, also highly inflated. They guys don't care as long as there are naked women there. These clubs make GOBS of money.

(Just as a personal note: I do not know this from personal visits. :blushing: My DH owns some pool tables and countertop video games, etc. and we have a friend with an ATM business. They say they will hit it big if they can "get me a couple of scrip clubs." :rolleyes: )

This comes from the "Religious right" groups, who have a strong emphasis here in Texas politics. They also want to teach Creationism instead of Evolution, they re-word textbooks, etc. etc.

They passed the "Sanctity of Marriage" bill, with the corollary in teensy print that gays cannot have any of the civil rights attributed to marriage.

They have decided to tax strip clubs because it's a VICE (however I do not see that vice costing society money the way alcohol use and cigarette use do)

Why don't they then tax internet sites relating to *advertiser censored*???? Those are probably alot worse.

Go ahead and tax them if you wish, but don't say "it's aiding women who are raped". Somehow that associates men who go to strip clubs with "rape". IMO
Just put it in the general tax pool.

If I were raped, I wouldn't want strip joint money going into any aide that I received since I feel that it is a business that exploits usually very young women. A big majority of the strippers also get involved in prostitution, drugs are encouraged, and I doubt if very many are actually going to college. A relative of mine got involved in stripping for some years and it got her hooked on speed, helped to ruin her life, meet some real scum bags. All the other girls that she stayed friends with are all dead by now. One was even murdered by a boyfriend and every one of them lost custody of their kids.

If I were raped, I wouldn't want strip joint money going into any aide that I received since I feel that it is a business that exploits usually very young women. A big majority of the strippers also get involved in prostitution, drugs are encouraged, and I doubt if very many are actually going to college. A relative of mine got involved in stripping for some years and it got her hooked on speed, helped to ruin her life, meet some real scum bags. All the other girls that she stayed friends with are all dead by now. One was even murdered by a boyfriend and every one of them lost custody of their kids.

I was raped and I am perfectly fine with money from a strip club going to rape survivers.

Stripping doesn't "get" a person hooked on drugs or make them hang out with a bad crowd or choose abusive men and be lousy mothers. The pole doesn't ruin a strippers life the stripper does! It's obvious the womans life was messed up and her self esteem low prior to stripping or she'd not have done it to begin with!

You know how we get.

Yeah, unfortunately I do. My DH explained it to me one time. He said it's very simple.

For guys, once you've seen one naked woman...

you want to see some more.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, unfortunately I do. My DH explained it to me one time. He said it's very simple.

For guys, once you've seen one naked woman...

you want to see some more.

:rolleyes:

LMAO. I once worked with a guy who went to a strip joint with some other guys -- and proceeded to watch a baseball game!!!

I was raped and I am perfectly fine with money from a strip club going to rape survivers.

Stripping doesn't "get" a person hooked on drugs or make them hang out with a bad crowd or choose abusive men and be lousy mothers. The pole doesn't ruin a strippers life the stripper does! It's obvious the womans life was messed up and her self esteem low prior to stripping or she'd not have done it to begin with!

WHOA! That's a bit of a HARSH judgement don't you think? If you've personally NEVER done it. How in the world can you automatically assume that they are suffering from low self esteem? Having personally been in the sex industry - There is NO way you can do this with a low self esteem. Hell, some women w/ low self esteem can't even get naked w/ their significant other w/ the lights on let alone get naked (or partially depending on regulations) w/ an audience FULL of people w/ a damn spotlight on you.

I dealt w/ way more sexual harrassment at my "legit" job (surg tech at Local Hospital in the OR) yes, was sexually assaulted, the hospital played a race card, *I* lost my job, but pursued it in civil court. At least at my "Low self esteem" job. If I had an issue, it was taken care of IMMEDIATELY, and honestly? I felt a hell of a lot safer working there, than I have at my 9-5 "respectable" job(s).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back