School suspends girl over vodka-filled candy

csds703

Former Member
Reaction score
Mom calls it an overreaction, notes daughter didn’t eat chocolate treat

RANCHO CUCAMONGA, Calif. - A school district suspended a 12-year-old for having a piece of chocolate candy filled with a half-ounce of booze.
The unidentified seventh-grader was sent home from Alta Loma Junior High School three days before the winter break after a friend gave her a vodka-filled, foil-wrapped candy in the hall on her way to class Wednesday, her mother told the Ontario Daily Bulletin.
Another student apparently saw the girl get the candy and told school officials.
She cannot return until Jan. 7, and then she must adhere to a contract between, the student, parent and school that outlines expected behavior.
The girl was disciplined for having "possession, used, sold, furnished or been under the influence of any controlled substance, alcohol or intoxicant," according to her suspension notice.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22364122/?GT1=10645

The mom calls this an overreaction. At least she wasn't arrested.
I agree with the school on this one, but I'm wondering if the other kid was disciplined as well.

I have the same question. The girl who actually brought the alcohol onto the campus should be punished as well.

I would think the "friend" handing out the candy would be punished. Was this girl aware it had alcohol in it?

I would think the "friend" handing out the candy would be punished. Was this girl aware it had alcohol in it?

I was wondering the same thing. If she wasn't, this would be a really good way to get the kids you don't like in your class expelled.... a whole new way of bullying.

Or maybe she did know and the story forgets to say this girl was suspended twice before for bringing flasks of vodka to school, or something. ;)
But, just going by what this story says, this is quite strange to me. "Another student apparently saw the girl get the candy and told school officials." Do they mean this student saw that the girl was given the candy or did the student see the 'giver' get the candy from the box and therefor they knew it had vodka in it?
Sometimes I think the stories some reporters write are weirder than the entire incident itself. :D

I was wondering the same thing. If she wasn't, this would be a really good way to get the kids you don't like in your class expelled.... a whole new way of bullying.

Or maybe she did know and the story forgets to say this girl was suspended twice before for bringing flasks of vodka to school, or something. ;)
But, just going by what this story says, this is quite strange to me. "Another student apparently saw the girl get the candy and told school officials." Do they mean this student saw that the girl was given the candy or did the student see the 'giver' get the candy from the box and therefor they knew it had vodka in it?
Sometimes I think the stories some reporters write are weirder than the entire incident itself. :D

You're right.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back