1002 users online (126 members and 876 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

3 Teens Sue School For Facebook Parody, IDing Teacher As A Pedophile

CINCINNATI Three teenagers have sued school officials over lengthy suspensions they received for setting up a Facebook page that identifies a teacher as a pedophile.
    The entry on the social networking site included the face and last name of the teacher and referred to him as a member of the North American Man/Boy Love Association, which supports sex between men and boys.
    "They're not saying it's true, they're saying it's just parody," the students' attorney, Marc Mezibov, said Friday.
    The boys were suspended from Taylor High School for the maximum 90 days for creating the entry in November. They've served 10 days and were told the rest of the punishment would begin Jan. 2, when classes resume after the holiday break.
    U.S. District Judge Susan Dlott ordered school officials to let them return pending a hearing on the lawsuit Jan. 10.
    "Each of the boys has written an apology to the teacher and questioned whether they exercised their best judgment," their attorney, Marc Mezibov, said Friday. more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317925,00.html

That is something I would have done in HS! SOOO funny! But now that I am an adult, I have to say the parents are crazy here! My kids would just take the punishment. Accusing someone of being in NAMBLA is pretty sick and they got caught.

Such an accusation can hurt that teacher in many ways for some time to come. It was cruel to have done it, and I refuse to accept youth as an excuse. Those kids deserved to suspended, and perhaps they need some powerful lessons in respect and character.

And, for them and their parents to think they have the moral right to make out financially from paying the consequences of their own wrong doings is appalling. I hope they lose. The teacher should be suing--and he should win.

It is just my opnion, but that the parents are behind their kids in suing, I can't help but think that the apple didn't fall far from the tree on this one. IMO, the parents lack morality and a sense of ethics, and they have and are teaching this to their kids. Shame, shame, shame.

Lion

Quote Originally Posted by pixies View Post
    That is something I would have done in HS! SOOO funny! But now that I am an adult, I have to say the parents are crazy here! My kids would just take the punishment. Accusing someone of being in NAMBLA is pretty sick and they got caught.
    I don't think there are too many worse things you could call someone!

Quote Originally Posted by LionRun View Post
    Such an accusation can hurt that teacher in many ways for some time to come. It was cruel to have done it, and I refuse to accept youth as an excuse. Those kids deserved to suspended, and perhaps they need some powerful lessons in respect and character.

And, for them and their parents to think they have the moral right to make out financially from paying the consequences of their own wrong doings is appalling. I hope they lose. The teacher should be suing--and he should win.

It is just my opnion, but that the parents are behind their kids in suing, I can't help but think that the apple didn't fall far from the tree on this one. IMO, the parents lack morality and a sense of ethics, and they have and are teaching this to their kids. Shame, shame, shame.

Lion

Lion

I agree. Would the average person seeing this page know it was a parody?

Quote Originally Posted by LionRun View Post

Lion
    Well said.

I agree, reportertype. And, they did not do it for that reason. They did it to hurt him. If those kids and their moral-lacking parents win that case it will be a travesty.

Lion

The suspension seems reasonable to me. Putting someone's name and picture online and calling him a pedophile is very serious, even if you're trying to be funny. It doesn't sound like the kids get that. Maybe some time at home will help them figure it out.

Thank you White Rain.

Lion

If those kids really were trying to be funny than there teachings in life have gone to the gutter. Doing something like that to someone seems almost sadistic in nature. And, instead of the possibility of making amends and developing a sense of humanity, they are being taught that if they do wrong and don't like the consequences they can sue and might even get a large reward. The actions of those kids and their parents inflames me.

Lion

Can you guys IMAGINE how that teacher felt? The one who was labeled? Even if it WAS a joke I bet he'll get plenty of sideways glances from now on.
    Probably even myself, just upon hearing (with no proof) of someone being a pedophile I would be fearful of leaving my kids around them. I would be thinking "do these kids know something we don't? Have they heard rumors or something?" But I suffered childhood abuse and I am not taking a chance with my girls...I don't know if most people are as fearful as me but I am willing to bet that some are.

Quote Originally Posted by White Rain View Post
    Can you guys IMAGINE how that teacher felt? The one who was labeled? Even if it WAS a joke I bet he'll get plenty of sideways glances from now on.
    Probably even myself, just upon hearing (with no proof) of someone being a pedophile I would be fearful of leaving my kids around them. I would be thinking "do these kids know something we don't? Have they heard rumors or something?" But I suffered childhood abuse and I am not taking a chance with my girls...I don't know if most people are as fearful as me but I am willing to bet that some are.
    This is what I was thinking. They've totally ruined his reputation as a citizen and a teacher. As a joke. What idiots. Why are they suing the school?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    This is what I was thinking. They've totally ruined his reputation as a citizen and a teacher. As a joke. What idiots. Why are they suing the school?
    The teacher should be suing them for defamation of character.

Quote Originally Posted by csds703 View Post
    The teacher should be suing them for defamation of character.
    Thats kinda what I thought as well....

The article says they'll be allowed back in school pending a hearing on the matter. The parents are arguing that the kids apolgized and so it's all OK. Plus, they're arguing that the Facebook page has nothing to do with school. BUT they got the teacher's photo from a district web site and now other teachers want their photos taken down.

They need to serve their time. All of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast