GUILTY IL - Chicago, Female body in cardboard box, Jan'07 - Marlaina Reed

Thanks for posting this jwalk. I looked for an article about this young woman when I first found out about it, but wasn't able to find one. Now if only I could find the other aticle I found a while back about a different (identified) woman found in a Chicago alley. There was something similar about both cases... both bound with cables maybe? I'll try finding it tomorrow if nobody else can find it.

Hi everyone,
For many days, I had been "obsessed" with a case I had found on doenetwork... when I saw her sketch, I just knew I had to look into it. Then when I couldn't find any match after MUCH digging, I decided to move on for a little bit. But everytime I was clicking a random link, it somehow led me back to her. Imagine my surprise when I play my recording of AMW last night and I see her sketch on it!!!!! Turns out they had a clay bust to show, and what a difference from the sketch it was. That's sheding brand new light on the case!
I'd love for anyone to jump in and help me, if you feel like it! :)

I'm new on the boards, by the way. Looking forward to meeting some fellow sleuths!

Thanks for listening,

Clemy

http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase600.html
and
http://www.amw.com/fugitives/brief.cfm?id=49245

Welcome, clemy! Gosh, you would think with all that was found with the unidentified girl someone would have a clue about her. Braces, knee brace....

I hope the AMW spotlight will help find her family.

Do you know if there's anyway to get the clay bust picture on the doenetwork site? That might help immensely.

Welcome, clemy! Gosh, you would think with all that was found with the unidentified girl someone would have a clue about her. Braces, knee brace....

First let me say welcome Clemy!! :)

AMW Quote: "Cops say she also had a knee brace on her right knee, but the autopsy did not find any broken bones or previous surgeries."

I find this odd. If the pathologist conducting the PM found no broken bones, no surgical scars and no muscle atrophy why in the world was she wearing the brace? Could this have been something added by the killer to throw off identification? If so where did he/she get it? Its not like leg braces are cheap and easy to obtain.

Hi everyone,
For many days, I had been "obsessed" with a case I had found on doenetwork... when I saw her sketch, I just knew I had to look into it. Then when I couldn't find any match after MUCH digging, I decided to move on for a little bit. But everytime I was clicking a random link, it somehow led me back to her. Imagine my surprise when I play my recording of AMW last night and I see her sketch on it!!!!! Turns out they had a clay bust to show, and what a difference from the sketch it was. That's sheding brand new light on the case!
I'd love for anyone to jump in and help me, if you feel like it! :)

I'm new on the boards, by the way. Looking forward to meeting some fellow sleuths!

Thanks for listening,

Clemy

http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase600.html
and
http://www.amw.com/fugitives/brief.cfm?id=49245

Chicago is my hometown. I like working on cases in the Chicagoland area because of this. I saw this story last night on AMW and it really saddens me.

I had a few thoughts that I had to share. First off, WHERE on the Northwest side of Chicago was she found? The Northwest side of Chicago is HUGE, so to narrow down where she was found would be an excellent help.

Secondly, she appears to be half-Hispanic or has some Native American in her blood. Especially in her eyes and high cheekbones. I didn't see a race on the Doe Network profile but AMW says Caucasian, but I'm not so sure considering the cheekbones. I could be wrong; it's just my observation.

Next, they say her teeth still had the glue from braces being on them. Seems like the murdered removed them post-mortem. Probably to avoid any possibility of a serial number or identifying info being on the braces?

Just the fact that she even had braces on leads me to believe she was possibly younger than 24, I would think in the 16-19 age range (19's a bit old to still have braces, but you never know). And if she was that young, why isn't a parent or family member stepping forward to report someone that matches her description missing?

That's about all I have right now. I'll check back in a few. I'm really really interested in knowing the EXACT location (or at least neighborhood) in which she was found!

Secondly, she appears to be half-Hispanic or has some Native American in her blood. Especially in her eyes and high cheekbones. I didn't see a race on the Doe Network profile but AMW says Caucasian, but I'm not so sure considering the cheekbones. I could be wrong; it's just my observation.

One of the ethnic origins that was mentioned on AMW was eastern european. I would definitely agree. She looks Polish to me.

My daughter is 22 and will be getting braces next year. We never could afford them, and she has great dental coverage with her job! I, on the other hand, got mine in 6th grade and wore them for several years.

Also, I guess we need to know what kind of "knee brace". My husband wears one on his knee that he calls a "knee brace" but it's not metallic- just rubbery and bought at the local drugstore to help brace his knee when it's acting up.

This might be an indication she was involved in sports at one time or another, or had been in an accident...

One of the ethnic origins that was mentioned on AMW was eastern european. I would definitely agree. She looks Polish to me.

You think so? I don't know, the cheekbones really throw me off... they remind me of Pocahontas... :doh:

BUT there is a HUGE Polish population on the North side near Irving Park and Harlem. Also the village of Norridge (far Northwest suburb) has a large Polish population as well.

Just FYI, teeth 7-10 which still have glue present on them (?!) are the upper 4 front teeth. I wonder why they still have that on them? That would be awful if they were removed by someone other than the orthodontist. :(

Also, I guess we need to know what kind of "knee brace". My husband wears one on his knee that he calls a "knee brace" but it's not metallic- just rubbery and bought at the local drugstore to help brace his knee when it's acting up.

This might be an indication she was involved in sports at one time or another, or had been in an accident...

Very good point. I sometimes forget that people not in the medical profession use terms very loosely. For me brace means a surgical or supportive brace made from metal but commercially they are called knee braces. This is what I love about these forums. So many brains thinking differently all thinking on the same subject. Awesome.

I think that if there was anything wrong with the knee, such as degeneration of the cartilage, bursitis etc it would be mentioned by the pathologist. They could be keeping this close to the chest as a means of identification. BUT if it was merely muscle strain it would not show up in the PM. For instance if she twisted her knee and it was just a little sore.

Just FYI, teeth 7-10 which still have glue present on them (?!) are the upper 4 front teeth. I wonder why they still have that on them? That would be awful if they were removed by someone other than the orthodontist. :(

Do braces have serial numbers on them? Or any other identifying marks for that matter? If so, or even if the killer thought so, s/he may have removed them post-mortem to prevent the identification of the victim when she was discovered.

Was the victim raped or sexually assaulted?

They mentioned the knee brace on AMW last night and said there was no bone or joint damage, but the pathologist would have a VERY hard time determining if it was a deep tissue or muscular strain.

About the knee brace: A couple of years ago I had a lot of knee pain. It escalated over the course of about three weeks from just a nagging pain to a need for crutches. I wore a knee brace for awhile as it seemed to help me support my leg and be able to stand. Turned out it was not muscular or bone related -- I had a blood clot!

This girl may have just had a sore knee, one she couldn't explain, and the knee brace offered support.

It's possible she could have been a student at a university that played volleyball or was a runner. I know a lot of volleyball players and runners that have knee injuries that flare up every now and then.

Mr. E, I'm glad you are o.k. Blood clots can be a very serious problem!!

Shannon: LE interview
http://www.mwnews.net/html/video_king_fischer.html
Choose dialup or DSL

Just posting so people here can compare. I haven't watched it yet!

Interesting. They don't think the bf was involved as he freely took a voice stress test and passed.

She did have one friend in IL, but they apparently went there and interviewed that person and came back with nothing. Clemy, that bothers me because your body was found in IL. I wonder where this friend is from and if they live near where the body was found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drury Lane
Back