TX - Gerald Miranda, 3, dies after finding loaded gun, San Antonio, 21 Dec 2007

TGIRecovered

Reaction score
http://www.ksat.com/news/14909125/detail.html

I don't know if my 3 yr. old children had a strong enough grip to pull the trigger on a gun. I guess it depends upon the type of gun. Someone needs go go to prison for leaving a gun where a toddler could get to it and have time to shoot himself before any adult noticed it and took it away.
Excuse me for sounding so jaded, but I'll bet the parents were either drug dealers or LE. Seems like those two groups are most careless with guns in the home.

Susan

I would be concerned that maybe someone else in the family shot the child. Terribly sad either way.

I don't know if my 3 yr. old children had a strong enough grip to pull the trigger on a gun. I guess it depends upon the type of gun. Someone needs go go to prison for leaving a gun where a toddler could get to it and have time to shoot himself before any adult noticed it and took it away.
Excuse me for sounding so jaded, but I'll bet the parents were either drug dealers or LE. Seems like those two groups are most careless with guns in the home.

Susan

My son is LE and has no children. He keeps his gun locked in a safe when not working. Unfortunately, many children have been killed with guns by "regular" folks who don't have the good sense to lock the gun up. JMO

I was about to post the same thing Browneyes! My dad all of my life growing up was LE and never once was a gun laying around the house. They were kept in the gun case, and even then were not loaded.

Your son is to be commended, browneyes, for being so responsible. I know you must be proud of him!

As I said, my veiwpoint may be a bit skewed. My H is LE too, and I would be embarassed to tell you how old our children were before he stopped resisting my pleading for him to lock it up. He used to tell me that "everyone else" just puts it on a high shelf. He actually believed that just because he was at home when the gun was home, it was safe.

Even though he now keeps it locked in the safe, I still notice every news account of children getting hurt or killed by carelessness with guns in the home, especially LE kids. I never fail to show him the article. Bitter-yes I know, and not what Jesus would do, but I am still not over the fact that of all people, LE officers should know better.

To his credit, I have to include that now that he has realized how careless he used to be, he is now a supervisor and has spear-headed a drive to help officers purchase low-cost gun safes for their home. Locking it up while at home is now an official requirement for all of his officers.

Merry Christmas to you!
Susan

Your son is to be commended, browneyes, for being so responsible. I know you must be proud of him!

As I said, my veiwpoint may be a bit skewed. My H is LE too, and I would be embarassed to tell you how old our children were before he stopped resisting my pleading for him to lock it up. He used to tell me that "everyone else" just puts it on a high shelf. He actually believed that just because he was at home when the gun was home, it was safe.

Even though he now keeps it locked in the safe, I still notice every news account of children getting hurt or killed by carelessness with guns in the home, especially LE kids. I never fail to show him the article. Bitter-yes I know, and not what Jesus would do, but I am still not over the fact that of all people, LE officers should know better.

To his credit, I have to include that now that he has realized how careless he used to be, he is now a supervisor and has spear-headed a drive to help officers purchase low-cost gun safes for their home. Locking it up while at home is now an official requirement for all of his officers.

Merry Christmas to you!
Susan

You know Susan, maybe that is something Jesus would do. He was here also to teach and look what your husband is now doing. He is no doubt helping to save little lives. I believe Jesus would be proud of both of you.

Montana, thank you for your kind words. You gave me a nice Christmas present...now I feel all warm and fuzzy!

Merry Christmas to you!
Susan

Did the gun have a hairpin trigger? If so, then maybe it was possible. Also what type of gun was it, did the toddler pick it up or was the trigger pulled from another position?

Susan, my father was in LE and he too put the firearm up on shelf in his closet. We were taught firearm safety from get-go. We knew where it was. No friends were allowed in our house upstairs when my dad was home, period. He unloaded the firearm upstairs immediately when he got home, but we were taught a firearm is ALWAYS LOADED. My brothers and I never even went near that closet. Plus he told us he checks for fingerprints on the door handle. We believed him and no way were we touching no handle. A little boy in Philly shot himself last week. Dad left the firearm in his coat pocket at a friends. Dad was playing cards with his buddies and the kids were playing upstairs and found the gun. They locked the dad up as he is a felon and wasn't allowed to carry. Senseless and tragic.

My husband is LE.. His gun is never accessable to our children. My children have also been taught about gun safety and to NEVER touch daddy's guns.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back