Will Smith angered by Hitler comments "misinterpretation"

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Will Smith is angry over celebrity gossip Web site articles that he said misinterpreted a recent remark he made in a Scottish newspaper about Adolf Hitler.

In a story published Saturday in the Daily Record, Smith was quoted saying: "Even Hitler didn't wake up going, 'let me do the most evil thing I can do today.' I think he woke up in the morning and using a twisted, backwards logic, he set out to do what he thought was 'good.'"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071225/ap_on_en_ot/people_will_smith

Will Smith is angry over celebrity gossip Web site articles that he said misinterpreted a recent remark he made in a Scottish newspaper about Adolf Hitler.

In a story published Saturday in the Daily Record, Smith was quoted saying: "Even Hitler didn't wake up going, 'let me do the most evil thing I can do today.' I think he woke up in the morning and using a twisted, backwards logic, he set out to do what he thought was 'good.'"

[URL="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071225/ap_on_en_ot/people_will_smith"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071225/ap_on_en_ot/people_will_smith[/URL]

He should be angry! His words were not even quoted properly.

From the article"

Over the weekend, dozens of celebrity gossip Web sites posted articles about the comment, many saying that Smith believed that Hitler was a "good" person.

He did not believe that he was good. He just used a poor analogy since most us can not find any good side to Hitler. He said the bolded part above.

Whatever reporter did this hack job of an interpretation needs their bum kicked... and if I was Will Smith, I'd sue on the grounds that the reporter placed an implication out there that could greatly cause harm to Will's livelihood as a public figure. Since he doesn't need the money, WS could take the money and donate it to a Holocaust cause. That is the only way I could see Will getting true vindication... and the case could be a learning lesson for other hack journalists that twists other people's words around.

[URL="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071225/ap_on_en_ot/people_will_smith"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071225/ap_on_en_ot/people_will_smith[/URL]

I agree with this quote.

The press misinterpret things sensationally at every corner.

I agree with this quote.

The press misinterpret things sensationally at every corner.

Hi South

I usually come from the basic belief that no human is all good or all bad.
He may have thought in his twisted head that he was doing something good for society, but just the fact that he could justify his actions makes him pure evil.
Of course this has nothing to do with the quote by WS. Just saying.

Hi South

I usually come from the basic belief that no human is all good or all bad.
He may have thought in his twisted head that he was doing something good for society, but just the fact that he could justify his actions makes him pure evil.
Of course this has nothing to do with the quote by WS. Just saying.

Hi csds,

I hope you are having a happy holiday! I hear what you are saying and am no fan of the slaughter orchestrated by Hitler.

I think a great deal of evil is/has been done in the world in the name of trying to do good. Additionally, I believe people's egos are so enormous that they can justify unbelievable nonsense and behavior in order to allow themselves to sleep at night.

Hi csds,

I hope you are having a happy holiday! I hear what you are saying and am no fan of the slaughter orchestrated by Hitler.

I think a great deal of evil is/has been done in the world in the name of trying to do good. Additionally, I believe people's egos are so enormous that they can justify unbelievable nonsense and behavior in order to allow themselves to sleep at night.

My holidays have been fun. With Christmas and Chanukah spread out this year, it has kept me pretty busy.
Hope your family had a wonderful Christmas!

I guess what brought me to this site to begin with was trying to figure out how people can appear to be normal and commit such heinous acts.
I still can't fathom it. I guess my brain just doesn't think that way.

My holidays have been fun. With Christmas and Chanukah spread out this year, it has kept me pretty busy.
Hope your family had a wonderful Christmas!

I guess what brought me to this site to begin with was trying to figure out how people can appear to be normal and commit such heinous acts.
I still can't fathom it. I guess my brain just doesn't think that way.

We've had great fun - finally got my jacked up little boys to bed after a BIG day.

I too found WS out of a desire to more fully understand the evil that men do - particularly the evil that "normal" men do. Personally, I know a little bit about living a double life and I believe that lots of people compartmentalize their lives.

Now the thing that gets me about Hitler - and I believe that today most of us recognize him to have been a bonafide madman - is the fact that he was able to draw so many others into his circle of cruelty. He needed a lot of human help to carry out that level of brutality.

There's a fascinating little book by M. Scott Peck called People of the Lie. It has a section that investigates and discusses this type of mass/group evil from a psychological/spiritual vantage point.

For me, it's the "smaller" evils that are almost harder to grasp. The Vaughn case has had me in its clutches these days. He's the seemingly happy family man who shot and killed his wife and three kids in the back of their SUV a few months ago. How the hell does that happen? Like you, I don't know that I will ever be able to fully understand any "answers" or "reasons."

When I taught the WWII/Holocaust lessons, I made sure my students knew that Hitler used this strategy: Tell one truth, one half truth, and then one lie. (The German citizen is suffering, the German citizen deserves better, the Jews are responsible for the German citizen's suffering.)

Poor Will Smith, he got a bad rap for saying something reasonable. But then, as a celebrity, he should have learned by now, say nothing, or they will use it against you. Really!

SCM,the People of the Lie book is a good one. It was one of the first books I read as a young adult that said up front and right out, there are evil people. For many reasons--some understandable, some not--they are there.

OH for heaven's sake. Let someone show the slightest bit of intellectual thought and it gets misquoted. BOOM!

Shame on the press. Sorry, Will, just look pretty, be a yes-man, don't say anything complicated and you'll be fine.

Well, this is typical of the press to try to twist things around--I'm a big fan of Will Smith, we used to watch Fresh Prince of Bel-Air for years back in the '90's, and he was great in Independence Day and the first Men In Black---The press must think the public is pretty dumb to think that Will Smith, or any black man, would ever say anything remotely positive about Hitler--Everyody knows, black and white alike, that Hitler considered blacks to be nothing more than talking animals, the lowest form of human life(remember his comments about Jesse Owens, the gifted black athelete who kept beating out the "superior" Germans in the 1936 Olympics in track and field? Hitler said it was an outrage that blacks should be allowed to compete at all since they were "part-animal")--Of course he also considered Slavs and Jews to be "sub-human"--so this Will Smith incident is a pathetic attempt by the press to try to portray Will Smith as being quite ignorant, where in reality, just the opposite is true--I don't think I have ever held the press in as low esteem as I do now

I wonder how Will Smith knows what Hitler was thinking. Evil was obviously on his mind since he wanted to wipe out a whole race, including babies, and have his blonde race rule the world. He would have wiped all our families out over here if he could. If that's not what's evil, I don't know what is.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071225/ap_on_en_ot/people_will_smith

What shows Will's true intent is that word EVEN....
he is trying to use an extreme to make a point, that's all.

What's being missed in all this turmoil about "does Smith support Hitler" IDIOCY is that most likely Hitler and others we perceive as psychos (Manson et all) probably DO believe their sick, twisted acts ARE for the betterment of mankind or at least their own small world of mankind.

Sane people are more comfortable calling these folks lunatics, but we truly must explore what makes a mind "twist" in this way to believe their barbarian actions are GOOD. Until we stop passing things off as the behavior of nutcases and truly try and understand them and try to find out WHY, we'll repeat these horrible lessons over and over.

I wonder how Will Smith knows what Hitler was thinking. Evil was obviously on his mind since he wanted to wipe out a whole race, including babies, and have his blonde race rule the world. He would have wiped all our families out over here if he could. If that's not what's evil, I don't know what is.

Will didn't say he, himself thought what Hitler did was "good"; he meant that people like Hitler rationalize their evil acts as being for some "noble cause" or "good."

Ethnic cleansing is usually rationalized as being for the "good" of the majority; or those carrying out the act. (either Religious or political "good", or both).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brittinvestigates4u
Back