750 users online (64 members and 686 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642

    Parents Face Tough Questions When Santa's Magic Fades

    TUESDAY, Dec. 25 (HealthDay News) -- Every Christmas season, there's that question parents dread.


    "Is Santa Claus real?"


    According to experts, beginning at age 5 or 6, children begin to wonder if the Jolly Old Gent with the reindeer isn't quite what he seems.


    "They are beginning to ask a lot of questions, they start seeing the inconsistencies -- 'Hey, we don't have a chimney, how does Santa get in here?' or 'the Santa at one department store looks different than the Santa I saw over there,' " said Bruce Henderson, a professor of psychology at Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, N.C.


    Worse still, some party-pooper sibling or school friend pulls the child aside to whisper, "Santa isn't real."


    What to do?

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20071225...ntasmagicfades


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,766
    oh man....how I remember the dreaded day that my now 18 year old asked that very question...Is Santa real After a long thought out answer, she called her dad and I liars for months....my daughter wasn't being disrespectful, she was devastated at our answer.
    Our oldest handled this much better.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    13,720
    Whats this ..theres no Santa and heres me thinking I havent been getting presents from Santa cause I,d been bad

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,162
    My 8 year old son was starting to ask me this question after his schoolmates told him that Santa wasn't real. I told him that as long as he believes in Santa, then Santa will visit on Christmas Eve and leave him gifts.

    After tracking Santa on Google Earth, he stated that now he has PROOF that Santa really exists ! I can tell you that he is much happier now than he was a few days ago !

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticamom View Post
    My 8 year old son was starting to ask me this question after his schoolmates told him that Santa wasn't real. I told him that as long as he believes in Santa, then Santa will visit on Christmas Eve and leave him gifts.

    I think that may be what my mom told me, IIRC. As long as I believed in him, he would bring presents. (I'm now 35, so far so good!)


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CITY OF BROTHERLY SHOVE
    Posts
    17,500
    Quote Originally Posted by dingo View Post
    Whats this ..theres no Santa and heres me thinking I havent been getting presents from Santa cause I,d been bad
    Oh noooozzzze. I guess that person I heard on my roof was some neighbor trying to go through the skylights to burglarize people. Hey, it happens. In all sincerety, I'd say just keep telling the kid lies. OR break it to them real early before they even ask so they don't expect anything. My friend actually knows somebody that did that to their six year old. Kind of cruel.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,218
    My 10 year old pretty much knows the truth, but all I tell him is: "if you do not believe, you do not recieve..."
    He believes!!! lol

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    heaven bound
    Posts
    4,829
    You know what's funny? Last year my now 10 year old DIDN'T believe...but suddenly this year she does again. My 8 yr old is a firm believer.
    I stopped believing when I was 10 and realized that the note Santa wrote back to me was written in my mom's handwriting!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642
    Quote Originally Posted by White Rain View Post
    You know what's funny? Last year my now 10 year old DIDN'T believe...but suddenly this year she does again. My 8 yr old is a firm believer.
    I stopped believing when I was 10 and realized that the note Santa wrote back to me was written in my mom's handwriting!
    I had my doubts when "Santa" misspelled his last name on his note back to me, lol!


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by White Rain View Post
    You know what's funny? Last year my now 10 year old DIDN'T believe...but suddenly this year she does again. My 8 yr old is a firm believer.
    I stopped believing when I was 10 and realized that the note Santa wrote back to me was written in my mom's handwriting!
    I was 9/10 when I stopped believing and I thought I was hot stuff for figuring out the truth!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,299
    A friend of mine played Mrs. Claus at Macy's Herald Square a few years back. The kids only have a second with Santa, but the wait can be an hour or longer, giving them plennnnnty of time to come up with questions. And who's standing there but Mrs. C?! Macy's didn't give her any script, so she had to wing it. Being NYC, the kids were a bit hard-edged, and came from all different cultures and backgrounds. Some came on school trips. But, she said, as jaded as they were, they WANTED so bad to believe! They just didn't want to be taken. When she told me some of their questions, and her answers, I said, You've gotta do a magazine article! She did one better, she did a book. It is called "Mrs. Claus Explains It All," and it comes out Christmas '08!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    heaven bound
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    I had my doubts when "Santa" misspelled his last name on his note back to me, lol!

    lo, just outta curiosity, HOW was it spelled?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    heaven bound
    Posts
    4,829
    totally o/t here but WHO besides me loves the movie "Bad Santa..."
    So freakin' hilarious....
    so many quotes I love from this movie!
    Also "A Christmas Story..."

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,160
    Please do not flame and/or sizzle me for this post. Zap my husband instead. DK, this is for you and anyone else that cares to comment. Along the lines of this thread, my hubby said something very thought-provoking. Actually made me go "hmmm".

    (I'm pro-Santa, my husband thinks anything of the sort is "lying". Thank goodness we don't have kids together, or else it would be a constant battle.)

    This woman that he works with told him on Christmas Eve that she had to get her kiddos to the mall to see Santa. This woman is VERY religious, so it kinda floored him. He asked her if she did the Easter Bunny, and Tooth Fairy thing too and she said yes. And at the same time you're teaching them stories from that?, and pointed to her Bible. She said yes.

    His point is. . . . You teach kids about fantasy stories/characters like Santa and the Tooth Fairy, then teach them Biblical stories. At some point you tell them that, nahhhh, I was lying about Santa and the other things, but OH NOOOO, the Bible thing is real. . . . and you wonder why more young adults are athiest or agnostic.

    I felt like he actually had a point. Thoughts?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMom View Post
    Please do not flame and/or sizzle me for this post. Zap my husband instead. DK, this is for you and anyone else that cares to comment. Along the lines of this thread, my hubby said something very thought-provoking. Actually made me go "hmmm".

    (I'm pro-Santa, my husband thinks anything of the sort is "lying". Thank goodness we don't have kids together, or else it would be a constant battle.)

    This woman that he works with told him on Christmas Eve that she had to get her kiddos to the mall to see Santa. This woman is VERY religious, so it kinda floored him. He asked her if she did the Easter Bunny, and Tooth Fairy thing too and she said yes. And at the same time you're teaching them stories from that?, and pointed to her Bible. She said yes.

    His point is. . . . You teach kids about fantasy stories/characters like Santa and the Tooth Fairy, then teach them Biblical stories. At some point you tell them that, nahhhh, I was lying about Santa and the other things, but OH NOOOO, the Bible thing is real. . . . and you wonder why more young adults are athiest or agnostic.

    I felt like he actually had a point. Thoughts?
    As an adult atheist who grew up Methodist I don't think finding out Santa wasn't real had anything to do with my not believing in God.

    My lack of faith stems from the lack of evidence that would indicate the existence of God, the myriad contradictions of the Bible and other religious texts, and my disillusionment with organized religion. (I'm not knocking anyone's beliefs here-just giving a general overview of why I don't believe)

    While finding out your parents fibbed about Santa might cause you to question other things your parents have told you I don't know any atheists or agnostics who profess to feel that way because they found out Santa wasn't real. Most of the atheists and agnostics that I know have done a great deal of thinking and soul searching in making their choices about what they do and don't believe.

    Becca

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Casey defense team wants tough questions asked of prosecutors??
    By jmfstl in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 156
    Last Post: 09-21-2009, 11:15 PM
  2. Casey's Parents May Eventually Face Charges
    By Janis396 in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 540
    Last Post: 12-13-2008, 02:49 PM
  3. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 12:59 PM
  4. N.Y Parents Face Fine For Daughter's Chalk Drawings
    By White Rain in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-19-2007, 02:01 PM
  5. NY - Parents May Face Jail Over Kid's Backyard Noise
    By White Rain in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 123
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 11:20 AM