CONVICTION OVERTURNED NM - Kalynne Flores, 4 mos, home alone, suffocated, Las Cruces, 6 Dec 2007

Kymistry35

It's never to late to be who you could have been
Reaction score
Website
bringushome.19.forumer.com
Kaylnne Marie Flores will be laid to rest Tuesday morning in Artesia. The 4-month-old baby girl may have suffocated Wednesday night after her father left her in a laundry basket in a closet while he went out to buy beer, according to court documents.

Her father, 23-year-old Robert Flores of the 2200 block of Santa Ana, began drinking Wednesday afternoon after picking up Kaylnne from a friend who was watching her, according to records. Flores allegedly told police he was gone for an hour, leaving the baby in the basket so neighbors wouldn't hear her cry. When he came back he continued drinking and turned on a movie and when he checked on his daughter, she was dead in the basket full of unfolded clothes.

The girl's mother, respiratory therapist Deserii Cortez, was working an overnight shift at MountainView Regional Medical Center at the time of her daughter's death. She came home around 3:30 a.m. Thursday and found Flores placing their daughter on the bed in a guest room. She called 911 and began performing CPR.

do you have a link for the rest of the article?

What a drongo...this man cared more for his beer than he did for the baby....how sad.

Does he live that far away from anywhere to buy beer that it takes an hour? That sounds highly doubtful. Maybe he went out to a bar, picked up beer on the way home, then forgot he even had a daughter he stuffed in a laundry basket while he continued drinking. He should have asked the neighbors that he didn't want to hear the baby crying, to watch the baby. The poor mother, my prayers for the family..

What a . I love that little baby's name though. I'm sorry she had a for a father. As usual, the mom is working her butt off somewhere.

My 1st husband did this to our daughter when she was a little baby, although he left her in her crib while he went barhopping. I was working. **sigh** I came home to an empty house and thought he had taken her for a stroll until I heard crying from her room, which scared the heck out of me. :( :( I never left her alone with him ever again.

Bond reduced for man accused in baby's death

LAS CRUCES - A Las Cruces man accused in the death of his 4-month-old daughter could become the county's first defendant to be charged under a state law that calls for a life sentence in child abuse convictions.

Doña Ana County Chief Deputy District Attorney Amy Orlando said Tuesday during a state court hearing for Robert Flores - in which bond for the 23-year-old was reduced to $150,000 - that prosecutors will take their case to a grand jury for consideration of a charge of intentional child abuse resulting in death.

http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_7756164

A little more from the link I posted:
In court Tuesday, attorneys and the families of Flores and the baby's mother, Deserii Cortez, painted very different pictures for District Judge Doug Driggers who heard arguments on the matter of bond.

"He broke my heart," Cortez said as Flores sat silently. The couple were unmarried and planned to separate and move out of their home the day after the baby died. "He took away the one person who meant the world to me. She was my life."

A Dona Ana County grand jury on Thursday indicted Robert Flores on one count of intentional child abuse resulting in death, making him eligible for a life sentence if convicted.

But a jury will also have the option of considering a negligent child abuse resulting in death at trial. Flores also was indicted on two counts of tampering with evidence.

The intentional charge carries a mandatory life sentence. A negligence charge carries a maximum penalty of 18 years in prison.

http://www.lcsun-news.com/news/ci_7770814

Taxi:

So sorry to hear that you had to go through something that horrific that could have resulted in you losing your daughter.

I'm happy that you were able to have the resources that she wasn't left alone with your "then" husband again!!

God Bless You!

I am also wondering as Meo did, how far away did he need to go to pick up some beer and bring it back home?? CERTAINLY, not an hour. So he was probably as a bar drinking................then on the way home picked up some more beer. Bet he didn't even think of Kaylnne once he got home!!

From May 2015:

http://archive.lcsun-news.com/las_c...rses-conviction-las-cruces-man-whose-daughter

The New Mexico Court of Appeals reversed the convictions against a Las Cruces man sentenced to 18 years in prison for the death of his infant daughter, saying the man's constitutional right to a speedy trial had been violated.

Robert J. Flores, a former New Mexico State University employee and star high school quarterback from Artesia, was convicted of reckless child abuse resulting in death on Feb. 7, 2013 — more than five years after he had been arrested and charged in the December 2007 death of his 4-month-old daughter, Kalynne Flores...

The court found that Flores "consistently and definitely expressed his objections" to the state's delays. The opinion also noted that Flores asserted his right for speedy trial at least four times during the five-year delay...

D'Antonio said Flores cannot be retried in the case, but he urged New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas to appeal the decision to the state Supreme Court.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back