Benazir Bhutto Killed in Suicide Bombing - Pakistan

I just saw this on CNN. I wonder if the report is true or if she is just injured.

Morning cable news shows are saying she's been killed. Very serious injury to her neck. They are also reporting it was both a suicide bomb and shooting.

I just get sick of all the senseless killings. 20 others were also killed.

All the networks are saying she is dead now. So very sad about all the deaths in this attack.

Sad news, but not surprising news... she was a marked woman. While corruption haunted her, I do think the corruption charges were trumped up on her and her family because of how she was trying to turn that part of the world around... and how she fought to help give women a foothold and rights in the Islamic world. She refused to conform to the extremist side of Islam and now... it took her life. Sad day...

Reports say she was shot in the neck and chest, and then the gunman blew himself up.

I admired her for loving her country so much that she risked her life for it. What a shame.

Sad news, but not surprising news... she was a marked woman.
Hate to say it, but I thought "I'm surprised it took them this long". That's some horrific video they are showing. I turned it off so my nieces couldn't see it. This is going to have some heavy duty ramifications. Chaos reigns.

Wasn't there maybe over a hundred people killed in the last attempt to murder the PM?

I'm sorry to hear this news. She had tremendous courage of conviction.

The world is a scary place. :(

She was educated at Harvard and Princeton; served as Prime Minister twice; she was a guiding light for Democracy in the world. She led the majority in Pakistan.

A very intelligent and charismatic woman; what a chilling and despicable act.

I expect there will be "after-effects" from this.

Anyone who didn't see this coming was either blind, or not paying attention.

Yes, IdahoMom Bhutto exhibited extreme courage in her convictions.

Rest in Peace, Courageous Lady ~

RIght on, on all points, Marthatex. But you knew it was coming. It was only a matter of time.

ETA: This is allegedly the equivalent of when JFK was assassinated over here. The UN Security Council will be holding an emergency meeting at noon today.

So senseless. Quite an accomplished lady. From Wikipedia:
"Benazir Bhutto was born in Karachi, Dominion of Pakistan on June 21, 1953. She attended the Lady Jennings Nursery School and then the Convent of Jesus and Mary in Karachi.[4] After two years of schooling at the Rawalpindi Presentation Convent, she was sent to the Jesus and Mary Convent at Murree. She passed her O-level examination at the age of 15.[5] She then went on to complete her A-Levels at the Karachi Grammar School.
After completing her early education in Pakistan, she pursued her higher education in the United States. From 1969 to 1973 she attended Radcliffe College, and then Harvard University, where she obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree *advertiser censored* laude in comparative government.[6] She was also elected to Phi Beta Kappa.[5]
The next phase of her education took place in the United Kingdom. Between 1973 and 1977 Bhutto studied Philosophy, Politics, and Economics at Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford. She completed a course in International Law and Diplomacy while at Oxford.[7] In December 1976 she was elected president of the Oxford Union, becoming the first Asian woman to head the prestigious debating society.[5]
On 18 December 1987 she married Asif Ali Zardari in Karachi. The couple had three children: Bilawal, Bakhtwar, and Aseefa."
Link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benazir_Bhutto

I was enraged when I woke up to this today... :furious: I think her security team was definitely in on it.
I think Benazir Bhutto will always be remembered as a heroic revolutionary who put power back into the hands of the people of Pakistan. While factions continued to disband and reform during her administration, the people of Pakistan looked to her as a true leader.
The Pakistani people have lost a mother figure today. :( How sad for them.

MG

Not only is this a tragedy,but a very scary situation for the world. Pakistan is on the verge of chaos anyway and this just adds to it. They have nukes,and any instability over there is very dangerous. It is going to be very interesting to see how this unfolds.
Has India reacted in anyway to this? They are not friendly with Pakistan and if they feel threatened this could get ugly very quickly.

RIght on, on all points, Marthatex. But you knew it was coming. It was only a matter of time.

ETA: This is allegedly the equivalent of when JFK was assassinated over here. The UN Security Council will be holding an emergency meeting at noon today.

I knew she was in a "scary place"; but no, I didn't know it was coming. Evidently she had asked Mussharref (sp?) repeatedly for more protection.

Hmm, seems with all the billions we have sent over there, she could have had more protection??? She did know she was at risk.

At first glance the Taliban (extremists) are responsible - but since she was so immensely popular, how do we know that people working for Musshareff are not covertly in on it?

I would equate her as the type of leader JFK was; but this is much more of a political assasination, and expected, as you say, than JFK's murder was IMO.

Now we have a place with nukes, maybe going into total chaos.

Not only is this a tragedy,but a very scary situation for the world. Pakistan is on the verge of chaos anyway and this just adds to it. They have nukes,and any instability over there is very dangerous. It is going to be very interesting to see how this unfolds.
Has India reacted in anyway to this? They are not friendly with Pakistan and if they feel threatened this could get ugly very quickly.

India condemns violence of any kind.

I was enraged when I woke up to this today... :furious: I think her security team was definitely in on it.
I think Benazir Bhutto will always be remembered as a heroic revolutionary who put power back into the hands of the people of Pakistan. While factions continued to disband and reform during her administration, the people of Pakistan looked to her as a true leader.
The Pakistani people have lost a mother figure today. :( How sad for them.

MG

It is just "enraging", isn't it? Such a beautiful and intelligent woman - yes a huge threat to those who are against intellectual and Democratic rule of any kind.

Maybe the people of Pakistan will 'wake up" and insist on getting rid of the Taliban.

Mussarreff now says he will fight them - well, hey; what about the last 7 years????

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back