2 Yr Old Survives Screwdriver Through Head

White Rain

Reaction score
Poor baby...glad she'll be okay!

BOSTON -- A 2-year-old Farmington, Minn., girl is expected to make a full recovery after a screwdriver went into her head, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
Teagan Gislason was playing with some other children in a supervised area during a church service in Cannon Falls, Minn., on Dec. 19 when she found the screwdriver and started running with it and fell.

It pierced her skull just above her left eye.

Neither her eye nor her brain was damaged, and doctors did not need to perform surgery to remove it, although it did take four hours to extract the tool from her head.

She is expected to make a full recovery with normal use of her eye after spending almost a week at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.

Her father, Neil Gislason, said the accident was "very, very scary," and called his daughter's recovery a "Christmas miracle."
more: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14931184/detail.html

She was very, very lucky!

Definately a miracle!!!

How many times have I heard of a child running with a pair of scissors, pencils, etc. and they fall and the instrument is imbedded somewhere in there body? TOO MANY!!! All the more reason, why adults need to ensure that when kids are around that they check to see what is in the surrounding area that could be dangerous and remove them!!!!

I know, it is easier said than done.

I personally know another 2 yo that survived the same exact injury due to a screwdriver in the eye and into the brain. It truly is a miracle either child survived and continued on to be normal in spite of such a traumatic injury to the brain.

It does bring up the fact the children should NOT be playing with these items, but accidents do happen. The parents in the case I know of didn't allow him to have it, but when his father turned his back while putting together a present for mom...he grabbed it and within a span of seconds had fallen on it.

It only takes a "SECOND".....

That is what I tell my children about their children!! :)

Hopefully, I have scared them enough with my "second" horror stories that my grandchildren are safe in a "second" situation. It's after the "second", that I worry about! :)

SS:

Sorry, meant to also say I am glad for your friends daughter/son also survived the incident!!!! Did he/she have any lasting damage from the incident??

He did have some damage to his eyesight and still has some vision impairment, but as far as the brain goes...not that I am aware of.

Definately a miracle!!!

How many times have I heard of a child running with a pair of scissors, pencils, etc. and they fall and the instrument is imbedded somewhere in there body? TOO MANY!!! All the more reason, why adults need to ensure that when kids are around that they check to see what is in the surrounding area that could be dangerous and remove them!!!!

I know, it is easier said than done.

Also kids standing in chest of drawers trying to climb, and either it or something else like a tv falls over on them and kills them. Heart-breaking.

I saw the X-ray of this child on the news....scary indeed. This is quite a miracle.

Wow, that is amazing. I have seen some freak things with our kids, but never anything like that!! I am so happy she is ok!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back