Thread: Mother says pair knock on door, try to take daughter

Mother says pair knock on door, try to take daughter

Merced County sheriff's deputies are looking into a bizarre case involving two people who recently visited a woman's Beachwood home, claiming to be social workers from Merced County Child Protective Services.
    Sheriff's investigators wonder whether the mysterious pair were impostors, and other officials speculate that they may have been kidnappers.
    Stacy Clarkson, a 37-year-old single mother, alerted CPS and sheriff's officials after a man and a woman showed up at her home on the 2300 block of Fir Avenue around 5:45 p.m. on Dec. 21. Clarkson said the individuals, a white man in his late 30s or early 40s and a heavyset white woman around the same age, claimed to be CPS workers investigating an "anonymous tip" about child abuse and fraud.
    "They rang the doorbell, and when I opened the door, the man was taking a picture of my front door," Clarkson said. Clarkson said the two then told her that she and her 2-year-old daughter, Syriana, would have to accompany them to the hospital, to "examine" her daughter.
    The pair also allegedly told Clarkson that she and her daughter would need to be separated into two cars because the woman's car was the only one with a child safety seat. "I said, 'Absolutely not,'" Clarkson said. "It was just a creepy feeling -- the way she said, 'The baby can ride with me -- I have a car seat.'"

More at link http://www.mercedsunstar.com/167/story/104515.html

Snippet...
    There are several key tips that residents should be aware of, Pagan said, when approached by someone claiming to be a CPS worker. For example, CPS workers who do conduct door-to-door visits always drive white county-issued vehicles, carry photo identification issued by the county, in addition to county business cards, Pagan said.
    She also said CPS workers do not detain children without a law enforcement officer present -- unlike the two people who allegedly told Clarkson that her child needed to come with them.
    Pagan said CPS workers also carry literature and pamphlets to inform residents about their legal rights. "We knock on people's doors all the time, and, generally speaking, we go out on a referral, we ask questions, we assess the safety of the home. We don't just detain right off the bat," Pagan said. "Our primary mission is to keep families intact, so generally speaking before we detain a child, we work with the families. By the time we go about the business of detaining a child, it's because that family has failed to correct whatever is going on."

This happened right around the corner from my FIL's house! And I work for CPS. This is meant as a warning to all people...IF CPS/DCF or the like come to your home, ask for their proper credentials and call the local agency before handning over your children. These creeps are getting more and more brave by the day. I am sure that my fellow sleuthers here are much more aware of things than the average person, but please be very careful.

That's scary. I wonder what they wanted this baby for? I hope everyone is on alert.

Wow, I'm glad she was intelligent enough to say NO.

What happens if CPS workers really do come to your door and you don't answer it? They would come back with police, right?

That mom is so blessed. They could have killed her and just taken that little girl. They are still out there though! I hope they catch them soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    Wow, I'm glad she was intelligent enough to say NO.

What happens if CPS workers really do come to your door and you don't answer it? They would come back with police, right?

That mom is so blessed. They could have killed her and just taken that little girl. They are still out there though! I hope they catch them soon.

Yes, they make repeated attempts. Usually the first visit is to investigate and subsequent visits would/could result in removing the child from the home. In some circumstances, the children are removed immediately and LE are with the CPS workers to do just that.

I always wondered that! I don't answer my door unless I'm expecting someone. In my youth, I took on all the home improvement salesmen and religious visitors...but not anymore. I don't trust any strangers!

I feel like that couple was watching that little girl for some time. How scary.

This is not the first time this has happened! I just finished reading a book about this happening in London in the 1980's. It also happened in the early 90's here in the US. Some mothers let the child be "Examined" by the pervs but I believe in all the cases I just read about the pervs have all been female. They took pictures of the children and they drove small compact white cars.
    Weird indeed!!

I recall a number of similar incidents across the UK, mainly (if memory is correct) in the 90's, but most involved a couple, rather than a lone female.

Quote Originally Posted by thefox60 View Post
    I recall a number of similar incidents across the UK, mainly (if memory is correct) in the 90's, but most involved a couple, rather than a lone female.
    This was a couple in the incident locally.

In what state did this happen? I'm pretty sure that here in Texas, a person doesn't have to let CPS with or without LE into their home or to question the child unless they have a warrant. Of course, that might not stop them from going to the child's school first and questioning them there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    In what state did this happen? I'm pretty sure that here in Texas, a person doesn't have to let CPS with or without LE into their home or to question the child unless they have a warrant. Of course, that might not stop them from going to the child's school first and questioning them there anyway.
    It's in California...

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

How did they know the little two year old girls name? Or did they? Somehow they knew a baby lived in there. Don't answer your door, period. If it's that important they'll leave a card or note or something. I never answer my door. Not even to the new neighbor who keeps banging on it to borrow this and that. It's awful, but especially if you have children just don't answer it. I'm sure Children's Services would get ahold of you somehow if they truly had a report. Lucky they didn't snatch that kid.

Myspace

Immediately me being neurotic I thought perhaps this woman had a Myspace. She does, but only mentions a baby. The profile is old and has no photographs so that's not the culprit.http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=153254796

That is so scary I bet they had been watching her to know she had the little girl. I am so glad she sensed something wasn't right and scared them off. It is good advice not to open your door anymore there are to many sickos out there.

Quote Originally Posted by calidreamin View Post
    That is so scary I bet they had been watching her to know she had the little girl. I am so glad she sensed something wasn't right and scared them off. It is good advice not to open your door anymore there are to many sickos out there.
    Right, calidreamin. They had to be watching. What was up with him taking pictures of her door too? This sounds crazy I know, but we don't open the door. I look out from the window if it's a relative or neighbor. If not ya ain't telling me my house is on fire or I won the lottery you'll leave a card. Too many sacammers that will not hesitate to bust in your home.

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    Right, calidreamin. They had to be watching. What was up with him taking pictures of her door too? This sounds crazy I know, but we don't open the door. I look out from the window if it's a relative or neighbor. If not ya ain't telling me my house is on fire or I won the lottery you'll leave a card. Too many sacammers that will not hesitate to bust in your home.
    The are in town that this happened in, isn't the best part of town. I am thinking that these people were taking pictures to make themselves seem legit. CPS will leave a busniess card with a message on it. They cannot just come into your home uninvited. If they are investigating a claim of neglect/abuse and you are unwilling to cooperate, there really sin't much they can do. There are instanced where the LE stake out the home with the Social Worker to catch you at home. They even will go as far as showing up at the kids school and having the child wait in the school office until the parents come to pick them up. There are many ways...this story in the news isn't one of them.