Girl wins contest with false essay about soldier dad...

They're still going to fly the girl and 3 others to the concert. "We told a 6-year-old today that she was going to see Hannah Montana, and we're not going to renege on that," Ms. Ceballos said."

Hmmm . . . That seems compassionate, but it's just teaching the little girl that cheating has big rewards.

What were the contest rules? Maybe it did NOT have to be a TRUE story?

It sounds to me like it's the mother doing the "cover-up" lying for the daughter; perhaps it was the mother's idea all along.

And six-year-olds don't usually write "essays" anyway.

They're still going to fly the girl and 3 others to the concert. "We told a 6-year-old today that she was going to see Hannah Montana, and we're not going to renege on that," Ms. Ceballos said."

Hmmm . . . That seems compassionate, but it's just teaching the little girl that cheating has big rewards.

I have a feeling that her mother is already teaching her that.

I'd like to know what the subject for the essay was supposed to be and the rules.

Best as I could tell, it was one of those "why I should win" contests.

I don't usually believe in punishing children for what their parents do, but in this case, I don't think the child should be given the tickets. That punishes all the children who did tell the truth.

It's possible the 6 year-old knew nothing about the essay. Very likely that mom just did it. Another example of a mom doing anything so their kid will 'win'.

Now, this is intriguing:

"Club Libby Lu sponsored the essay contest. The company now says the statement about the father killed in Iraq is false.

They say they never dreamed of having to do background checks on essays from little girls. They say the real truth of what happened is "even more disturbing." But so far, they won't say what that is."
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa071228_lj_hannah.5f8dcf02.html

Huh? The truth about what happened to the father or the truth about what happened with the essay? What is it that is "more disturbing"?:waitasec:

Wonder if this is the contest she was in? There could be more out there, that Hannah Montana stuff got nutsy there for awhile, didn't it?

Dawson Julia, owner of Ticket Town in Fairfield, is giving away two high-priced tickets to an upcoming Hannah Montana concert and raffling off two more. The lowest priced face-value tickets of $26 are going for hundreds more. His office is decorated with concert photos and posters.

For the raffle, each contestant is asked to mail a check or money order for $5 in the name of the Humane Society to: Ticket Town, 192 Main St., Fairfield, ME 04937; or bring the money to the Humane Society or Ticket Town.
The deadline for raffle tickets is Nov. 28. Winners will be announced Dec. 6 in the Morning Sentinel newspaper, according to Julia. There is no limit to the number of tickets purchased.

“There’s also two tickets to be given away for the stories,” Julia said. “We’re looking for whatever anybody wants to give us for a reason they think they should be the one to win the tickets.” Each essay entry is to be 500 words or less. The deadline is Nov. 28. Entries will not be accepted at the store, but must be submitted by mail to the same address mentioned for the raffle.

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=148342&ac=PHnws

Libby Lu has an arrangement with Disney to provide Hannah Montana experiences. Local stores have various contests and raffles, etc., to distribute the Hannah Montana experiences.

My middle daughter is Hanna Montana crazy but NO WAY would she be allowed to go if she lied/cheated to get the tickets. Now, the little girl is only 6 and wrote an essay about her dad dying in Iraq?? My 11 year old was writing at 4 and stories by 5 but something as deep as that, no way. I have to question the mothers honesty in this whole thing.

The parent entered this contest using the child's name. IMO
Life isn't always fair, this family shouldn't have been given the trip.

I actually think they did the right thing by the 6-year-old, but I just barely think that.

Her Mom had to be behind this. Her Mom is teaching her that lying and cheating is okay. This is a crazy story - not cool at all. A terrible terrible thing to do with a 6-year-old.

this is so sad. i just hope that the mom's conscious eats her everytime one of the "club libby lu" employees looks at her and sneers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually think they did the right thing by the 6-year-old, but zai just barely think that.

Her Mom had to be behind this. Her Mom is teaching her that lying and cheating is okay. This is a crazy story - not cool at all. A terrible terrible thing to do with a 6-year-old.

I'm wondering what the child even knew. Maybe she didn't even write the essay at all? Maybe the mom did, writing with her left hand or something? Apparently the mom wanted to get her out of the store fast when questions started being asked, and the girl seemed confused by the questions about her father.

I'm wondering what the child even knew. Maybe she didn't even write the essay at all? Maybe the mom did, writing with her left hand or something? Apparently the mom wanted to get her out of the store fast when questions started being asked, and the girl seemed confused by the questions about her father.

Exactly. I have a 5 year old and a 7 year old. I could get them to write a false essay, but I just don't believe they could or would come up with something like this without a lot of adult involvement and encouragement. And it's sick - having a child that age write a false essay about a dead father. That's totally warped.

Maybe the girl was probably told by her Mom that it was just a make-believe story - the Mom was going for the sympathy play. Who's not going to want to give Hanna Montanna tickets to a 6-year-old who just lost her father in a war?

Exactly. I have a 5 year old and a 7 year old. I could get them to write a false essay, but I just don't believe they could or would come up with something like this without a lot of adult involvement and encouragement. And it's sick - having a child that age write a false essay about a dead father. That's totally warped.

Maybe the girl was probably told by her Mom that it was just a make-believe story - the Mom was going for the sympathy play. Who's not going to want to give Hanna Montanna tickets to a 6-year-old who just lost her father in a war?

I agree, the child may not even have known. And for that reason, I can see giving her the prize (also makes the story go away more quickly and quietly.)

However, I don't like the thought of some child who really did write their own essay or dictate it, hearing about this.

Now, this is intriguing:

"Club Libby Lu sponsored the essay contest. The company now says the statement about the father killed in Iraq is false.

They say they never dreamed of having to do background checks on essays from little girls. They say the real truth of what happened is "even more disturbing." But so far, they won't say what that is."
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa071228_lj_hannah.5f8dcf02.html

Huh? The truth about what happened to the father or the truth about what happened with the essay? What is it that is "more disturbing"?:waitasec:

From reading the article, my guess is that the little girl really does think her dad is dead. Maybe this mom has spun this tale and used the little girl and her grief to get all kinds of things from family and friends. Hannah Montana tickets were just the icing on the cake.

Writing an essay like this to win tickets would be horrible. Telling a child that her father is dead so you can collect off the pity party is "more disturbing."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morbidlittlemind
Back