What was the top news story of 2007?

STO4

Former Member
Reaction score
I thought with the year coming to a close, it would be a good time to reflect on the top stories of 2007. It would be very interesting to hear not only your thoughts on national headlines, but also on local events that have happened in your own town or community. Where I live, the top story I felt of the year was the tragic fire of the Sofa Super Store, that left 9 brave, heroic, firemen dead. I have included a link below about the tragic incident, and we should pay tribute to their sacrifice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston_Sofa_Super_Store_fire

I thought with the year coming to the close, it would be a good time to reflect on the top stories of 2007. It would be very interesting to hear not only your thoughts on national headlines, but also on local events that have happened in your own town or community. Where I live, the top story I felt of the year was the tragic fire of the Sofa Super Store, that left 9 brave, heroic, firemen dead. I have included a link below about the tragic incident, and we should pay tribute to their sacrifice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston_Sofa_Super_Store_fire

In the Bay Area, I think it was the literal meltdown of a major freeway caused by a tanker truck accident, followed second by a recent major oil spill. We had the same poll on a local news website. Here were the choices for the Bay Area:
Foreclosure fiasco
MacArthur Maze meltdown
San Francisco Bay oil spill
Barry Bonds indictment
Diablo Valley College grade scandal
Wayward whales in the Delta
Chauncey Bailey assassination
Warriors make the playoffs
Castro Valley s Jane Doe identified
Beavers in Martinez

Of course, now before the year is out, it's the tiger of the San Francisco Zoo killing.

For the DC/VA/MD area, I think the VT shootings stand out the strongest because there are a lot of kids from this area that attends, as well as some of those that died were from around here.

Around here it's the economy.

Here in VA....the Va. Tech shootings.
article:
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/virginiatech.shootings/

Massacre at Va. Tech

Those who lost their lives.
[FONT=Georgia,arial]Ross Alameddine • Jamie Bishop • Brian Bluhm • Ryan Clark • Austin Cloyd • Jocelyne Couture-Nowak • Kevin Granata • Matt Gwaltney • Caitlin Hammaren • Jeremy Herbstritt • Rachael Hill • Emily Hilscher • Matthew La Porte • Jarrett Lane • Henry Lee • Liviu Librescu • G.V. Loganathan • Partahi Mamora Halomoan Lumbantoruan • Lauren McCain • Daniel O'Neil • Juan Ramon Ortiz • Minal Panchal • Daniel Perez Cueva • Erin Peterson • Michael Pohle • Julia Pryde • Mary Read • Reema Samaha • Waleed Shaalan • Leslie G. Sherman • Maxine Turner • Nicole Regina White [/FONT]

The death of our Aussie Larrikin who was known around the world as The Croc Hunter, Steve Irwin, he will be sadly missed but am glad that what he stood for and worked hard to conserve....our environment and animals will be carried on by his family.

Heres to you STEVE IRWIN...........CRIKEY.

IMO Benazir Bhutto death is sadly the top World news of 2007.
The VA-Tech shootings are, again sadly, the top news story in my region. I live about 40 miles from Va Tech.

Red Sox, Patriots and Big Dig here...(wonder where she is from, they ask, lol)

I also think Bhutto assassination is the biggest story of the year...the shock waves are just beginning for the region...

I think it was Anna Nicole a lot of us watched and read it with much interest.

It was like a soap opera, every day something new.

:twocents:
That story lasted the longest because she died in February.

I really can't think of anything else "big" except it seems this upcoming election next November has been in the news forever!! Or at least it seems that way! :rolleyes:

I think the Jessie Davis murder was probably the biggest story here. :(

Other than that...our Indians going as far as they did in the playoffs.

Nationally, the bridge collapse in Minnesota was quite sad.

I still think of them :( and even cheered on the football team this fall in their memory.

That was sweet of you panthera.
My family and I did the same thing. I think many people are now Hokies at heart.:blowkiss:

off the top of my head, I think the top 10 US stories include:
1. KIDNAPPINGS: Michael Devlin kidnapping Ben and Shawn, Madeline McCann (although this is an overseas case), etc.
2. CELEBRITY DEATHS: the death of Anna Nicole Smith
3. SHOOTINGS: Virginia Tech shootings, specifically
4. DOG FIGHTING: Michael SOB Vick and his dog-fighting ring
5. STEROIDS: baseball and the Wrestler Benoit murdering his family and himself.
6. WEATHER-RELATED/NATUAL DISASTERS: the coal miner's being trapped and dead, Minnesota bridge collapsing, wild fires in California
7. NEW PRODUCTS: iPhone, wii, etc.
8. HOLLYWEIRD TROUBLES: Mel Gibson's mouth, Lindsey Lohan's problems, the Spears' sisters woes, etc
9. TV: the Writer's strike and the end of the Sopranos
10. RECALLS: Mattel toys and the lead paint issue, meat, spinach, etc.

For me it is a tie, and two stories were top. Ben and Shawn, and the tragic loss of Steve Irwin.

Lion

actually, I forgot about the NASA love triangle gone awry. That might be one of the weirdest stories of the year. Weird and sad :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker
Back