Tracey Thread at Jamesons

daffodil

Reaction score
Pop over and read the thread titled Tracey In November,puke making.

Pop over and read the thread titled Tracey In November,puke making.

For the benefit of those of us who refuse to pay for the garbage posted on Jamesons forum would you please copy and paste it over here so we know what puke making thing is on that Forum now Thanks CK

For the benefit of those of us who refuse to pay for the garbage posted on Jamesons forum would you please copy and paste it over here so we know what puke making thing is on that Forum now Thanks CK

Member since 5-8-02
12-30-07, 06:40 PM (EST)

"Tracey in November"

Laughing . . . until it hurts
By Michael Tracey,
Friday, November 23, 2007
More Speakout

There comes a point in life, usually accompanied by gray hairs, a paunch at the waist and a desire to take afternoon naps when you feel that there is little left to experience, little that will shock, little that will leave you in a bewildered, troubled, furious state. It's the calm of the jaded mind.

But somewhere deep within, in the nether regions of the heart and mind the residue of idealism, the spirit of youthful hope, the yearning for a just and decent world linger, if in a somewhat diminished form. It's a certain naivete that seems to have the unfortunate problem of running aground on the rocks of reality.

I must admit to a residual naivete.

When I was a young boy in England - I'd be about 13 - I had a weekly ritual. I would go to local bookstore and spend two or three hours browsing the shelves. One day I stood there in the store (I have always loved the smell of books), opened Theodore White's, The Making of the President 1960 and read its famous first words, "It was invisible, as always . . . " The "it" was the unfolding majesty of the electoral process, as the first votes are counted in the far eastern corner of America and then slowly, surely moves like the sun from east to west as the leader of the free world is chosen by the ordinary but decent folks of this most free of lands.

If I might engage in a cliche, I couldn't put it down. Here was the proffering of a dream to a young boy so desperately in need of a dream. I fell in love with the idea of America, with its politics, its institutions, its peoples and most of all its glorious possibility. I drank in White's wonderfully mad idealized narrative of the process, and in particular I fell in love with the iconic figure of John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

I've never quite lost that feeling, that childhood belief in this country's values and condition. But then reality intervenes and disappoints, the ship hits the rocks.

Which brings me to Bill Maher, the comedian and social commentator who famously was fired from ABC for saying that the 9/11 hijackers were not cowards but who went on to great success with his show Real Time With Bill Maher on HBO, and as a comic on the circuit.

I've always enjoyed Maher, found his political satire and observation a breath of fresh air, often perceptive and always very, very funny. But then Maher lost the plot, or revealed a side to him which he might have been wise to keep hidden.

I was reading his book New Rules, which contains the monologues with which he ends his show. I had got as far as Page 176, laughing out loud. Then there was the monologue, "Skeletal Refrains." I didn't see the original broadcast version, but the commentary is here in the book. I was reading it late at night and when I read this particular monologue, I thought - hoped - I was imagining something that wasn't there.

The piece carries two photos. At the top is a photo of a woman in a bikini, and the commentary reads: "In fat-*advertiser censored*, stomach-stapling America, stop focusing on the three people in the country who don't eat enough! There's a term for Lara Flynn Boyle's condition: It's called being a skinny chick. It's just her body type . . . as seen in this childhood photo."

I Googled Boyle; she's an actress, apparently. The second photo that accompanies this is not of Boyle as a child. The photo they use is that famous if heartbreaking one of the young girl in Vietnam who got hit by napalm, her clothes burnt off, her flesh scorched, her arms outstretched, her skin peeling off, and clearly in agony and full of terror. That Maher would choose to use this child as a prop for a gag is disgusting, coarse, crude, disturbingly revealing, and deeply disappointing.

Message to Maher: It's not funny and you and HBO and your publisher Rodale (whoever they are) should be ashamed of yourselves.

jameson note: I agree with Tracey. The image of that young girl running from the ravages of war that she could never really escape was horrible. That image has become famous, acts as a reminder of what war really is... and using it as a JOKE is simply wrong.

Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

jameson
Member since 5-8-02
12-30-07, 06:57 PM (EST)

1. "Westword's attack on Tracey"
In response to message #0

CU's Michael Tracey is Shocked, Shocked
Fri Nov 23, 2007 at 09:37:35 AM
This morning's "Speakout" in the Rocky Mountain News features a curious little rant by one of the University of Colorado's nuttiest professors, Michael Tracey, the dubious documentarian who made John Mark Karr a household name. The piece is remarkable on several levels, none of which have much to do with the very slight objective of the piece -- which, after some shapeless, rambling musings about youth, the electoral process and JFK, turns out to be Tracey's professed outrage at a tasteless, dumb sight gag to be found in a book of monologues by tasteless, smart comedian Bill Maher.

Do I sense a bit of animosity right from the start? Yes, I think so.

Okay, so it's not exactly the deepest observation of the day. But the op-ed pickings at the News must be pretty slim for there to be room for this weird blast of tut-tutting from Tracey, the paper's former (and ever-dreadful) media critic.

LOL - at yet this reporter feels he just must comment on Tracey's letter. You have to love the irony.

Let's put aside, for the moment, the absurdity of Tracey presuming to scold Maher and his publisher for their lack of shame —

Someone had to do it.

this from a journalism professor who's co-produced a series of misleading, deceptive and just plain wrong documentaries about the JonBenét Ramsey case

No, they were not wrong or misleading. They were honest attempts to see the investigation continued so the mystery might be solved. Too bad Westword doesn't have the same interest. No, they would rather sit back and criticize those who care enough to TRY to advance the investigation. A shame they waste the opportunity to do the same.

in an effort to clear her parents of any involvement in her slaying.

The truth is, if the evidence pointed to the parents, Tracey would have gone for their throats. But Westword won't ever admit that.

Let's not make too much of the fact that Tracey, who's falsely accused innocent people of murder (as detailed here) and played an active role in the greatest hoax of 2006, Karr's bogus confession, is in no position to lecture anybody on acceptable journalistic ethics – except, perhaps, gullible CU students.

It is true that Tracey has helped investigate several innocent people in his quest to see justice done - - but that, unfortunately, is what it takes sometimes to get to the truth, to uncover the REAL killers.
I hate how the Karr fiasco went down, but it would appear a child under Karr's care was saved from his sick intentions - - so I am glad he wasn't ignored.

No, what's truly peculiar here is that Tracey would be so mightily offended by Maher's use of a famous photo of a naked Vietnamese girl fleeing a napalm attack. The feeble joke here is that Maher was using the photo to represent Lara Flynn Boyle as a child; Tracey had to rely on Google to figure out who Boyle is, and then he was shocked, shocked. Imagine exploiting a young girl's suffering like that. Imagine using images of a victimized child as part of some cheap stunt…to make money!

Nothing so peculiar there.

I understand Alan Prendergast is trying to suggest Tracey did the same by making the Ramsey documentaries - but the situations are NOT alike. The Ramsey documentaries were intended to help get the truth out so a sadistic pedophile might be caught and removed from the streets - - to save future victims. Tracey didn't get rich, not by a long shot. Lawyers did, reporters and documentary makers did NOT!
But Maher's use of the photo... Who cares about it making money for Maher - - that wasn't the problem, it was the feeble joke, the revolting attempt at humor using that image. It was a sick joke that Maher should have been advised not to use.

Imagine that. Maher, Tracey writes, "revealed a side to himself which he might have been wise to keep hidden."

Maybe he isn't the only one, eh, professor? – Alan Prendergast

Tracey, like Alan Prendergast, is human and sometimes fails to be perfect. But that isn't what I come away with after reading this column. I come away with a bad taste because Alan Prendergast is simply on the attack - - and Westword printed it because they chose the BORG side long ago and ... well, I am sure they can call Steve Thomas and get a big applaud for this bit of flat fluff.

DonBradley

BTW I DONT belong to Jamesons forum and wouldnt dream of PAYING to join YUK.I just read there if I am bored and need a giggle LOL.

:furious:

Member since 5-8-02
12-30-07, 06:40 PM (EST)

"Tracey in November"

Laughing . . . until it hurts
By Michael Tracey,
Friday, November 23, 2007
More Speakout

There comes a point in life, usually accompanied by gray hairs, a paunch at the waist and a desire to take afternoon naps when you feel that there is little left to experience, little that will shock, little that will leave you in

a bewildered, troubled, furious state. It's the calm of the jaded mind.

But somewhere deep within, in the nether regions of the heart and mind the residue of idealism, the spirit of youthful hope, the yearning for a just and decent world linger, if in a somewhat diminished form. It's a certain naivete that seems to have the unfortunate problem of running aground on the rocks of reality.

I must admit to a residual naivete.

When I was a young boy in England - I'd be about 13 - I had a weekly ritual. I would go to local bookstore and spend two or three hours browsing the shelves. One day I stood there in the store (I have always loved the smell of books), opened Theodore White's, The Making of the President 1960 and read its famous first words, "It was invisible, as always . . . " The "it" was the unfolding majesty of the electoral process, as the first votes are counted in the far eastern corner of America and then slowly, surely moves like the sun from east to west as the leader of the free world is chosen by the ordinary but decent folks of this most free of lands.

If I might engage in a cliche, I couldn't put it down. Here was the proffering of a dream to a young boy so desperately in need of a dream. I fell in love with the idea of America, with its politics, its institutions, its peoples and most of all its glorious possibility. I drank in White's wonderfully mad idealized narrative of the process, and in particular I fell in love with the iconic figure of John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

I've never quite lost that feeling, that childhood belief in this country's values and condition. But then reality intervenes and disappoints, the ship hits the rocks.

Which brings me to Bill Maher, the comedian and social commentator who famously was fired from ABC for saying that the 9/11 hijackers were not cowards but who went on to great success with his show Real Time With Bill Maher on HBO, and as a comic on the circuit.

I've always enjoyed Maher, found his political satire and observation a breath of fresh air, often perceptive and always very, very funny. But then Maher lost the plot, or revealed a side to him which he might have been wise to keep hidden.

I was reading his book New Rules, which contains the monologues with which he ends his show. I had got as far as Page 176, laughing out loud. Then there was the monologue, "Skeletal Refrains." I didn't see the original broadcast version, but the commentary is here in the book. I was reading it late at night and when I read this particular monologue, I thought - hoped - I was imagining something that wasn't there.

The piece carries two photos. At the top is a photo of a woman in a bikini, and the commentary reads: "In fat-*advertiser censored*, stomach-stapling America, stop focusing on the three people in the country who don't eat enough! There's a term for Lara Flynn Boyle's condition: It's called being a skinny chick. It's just her body type . . . as seen in this childhood photo."

I Googled Boyle; she's an actress, apparently. The second photo that accompanies this is not of Boyle as a child. The photo they use is that famous if heartbreaking one of the young girl in Vietnam who got hit by napalm, her clothes burnt off, her flesh scorched, her arms outstretched, her skin peeling off, and clearly in agony and full of terror. That Maher would choose to use this child as a prop for a gag is disgusting, coarse, crude, disturbingly revealing, and deeply disappointing.

Message to Maher: It's not funny and you and HBO and your publisher Rodale (whoever they are) should be ashamed of yourselves.

jameson note: I agree with Tracey. The image of that young girl running from the ravages of war that she could never really escape was horrible. That image has become famous, acts as a reminder of what war really is... and using it as a JOKE is simply wrong.

jameson
Member since 5-8-02
12-30-07, 06:57 PM (EST)

1. "Westword's attack on Tracey"
In response to message #0

CU's Michael Tracey is Shocked, Shocked
Fri Nov 23, 2007 at 09:37:35 AM
This morning's "Speakout" in the Rocky Mountain News features a curious little rant by one of the University of Colorado's nuttiest professors, Michael Tracey, the dubious documentarian who made John Mark Karr a household name. The piece is remarkable on several levels, none of which have much to do with the very slight objective of the piece -- which, after some shapeless, rambling musings about youth, the electoral process and JFK, turns out to be Tracey's professed outrage at a tasteless, dumb sight gag to be found in a book of monologues by tasteless, smart comedian Bill Maher.

Do I sense a bit of animosity right from the start? Yes, I think so.

Okay, so it's not exactly the deepest observation of the day. But the op-ed pickings at the News must be pretty slim for there to be room for this weird blast of tut-tutting from Tracey, the paper's former (and ever-dreadful) media critic.

LOL - at yet this reporter feels he just must comment on Tracey's letter. You have to love the irony.

Let's put aside, for the moment, the absurdity of Tracey presuming to scold Maher and his publisher for their lack of shame —

Someone had to do it.

this from a journalism professor who's co-produced a series of misleading, deceptive and just plain wrong documentaries about the JonBenét Ramsey case

No, they were not wrong or misleading. They were honest attempts to see the investigation continued so the mystery might be solved. Too bad Westword doesn't have the same interest. No, they would rather sit back and criticize those who care enough to TRY to advance the investigation. A shame they waste the opportunity to do the same.

in an effort to clear her parents of any involvement in her slaying.

The truth is, if the evidence pointed to the parents, Tracey would have gone for their throats. But Westword won't ever admit that.

Let's not make too much of the fact that Tracey, who's falsely accused innocent people of murder (as detailed here) and played an active role in the greatest hoax of 2006, Karr's bogus confession, is in no position to lecture anybody on acceptable journalistic ethics – except, perhaps, gullible CU students.

It is true that Tracey has helped investigate several innocent people in his quest to see justice done - - but that, unfortunately, is what it takes sometimes to get to the truth, to uncover the REAL killers.
I hate how the Karr fiasco went down, but it would appear a child under Karr's care was saved from his sick intentions - - so I am glad he wasn't ignored.

No, what's truly peculiar here is that Tracey would be so mightily offended by Maher's use of a famous photo of a naked Vietnamese girl fleeing a napalm attack. The feeble joke here is that Maher was using the photo to represent Lara Flynn Boyle as a child; Tracey had to rely on Google to figure out who Boyle is, and then he was shocked, shocked. Imagine exploiting a young girl's suffering like that. Imagine using images of a victimized child as part of some cheap stunt…to make money!

Nothing so peculiar there.

I understand Alan Prendergast is trying to suggest Tracey did the same by making the Ramsey documentaries - but the situations are NOT alike. The Ramsey documentaries were intended to help get the truth out so a sadistic pedophile might be caught and removed from the streets - - to save future victims. Tracey didn't get rich, not by a long shot. Lawyers did, reporters and documentary makers did NOT!
But Maher's use of the photo... Who cares about it making money for Maher - - that wasn't the problem, it was the feeble joke, the revolting attempt at humor using that image. It was a sick joke that Maher should have been advised not to use.

Imagine that. Maher, Tracey writes, "revealed a side to himself which he might have been wise to keep hidden."

Maybe he isn't the only one, eh, professor? – Alan Prendergast

Tracey, like Alan Prendergast, is human and sometimes fails to be perfect. But that isn't what I come away with after reading this column. I come away with a bad taste because Alan Prendergast is simply on the attack - - and Westword printed it because they chose the BORG side long ago and ... well, I am sure they can call Steve Thomas and get a big applaud for this bit of flat fluff.

DonBradley

Tracy, Jameson, :furious:
Westword, Steve Thomas and Daffodil:woohoo:

The image of that young girl running from the ravages of war that she could never really escape was horrible. That image has become famous, acts as a reminder of what war really is... and using it as a JOKE is simply wrong.

Agreed. using it to further the ends of the NVA was even more wrong, in my opinion.

They won't admit it because it's not true. Some people are just contrarian BS artists, and I find it ironic that the RST side, who seem obsessed with using a person's "history" as a diving rod for future acts, have failed to notice that micheal Tracey is cut from the same "hate-America-and0its institutions" cloth as Michael Moore and his ilk.

The Ramsey documentaries were intended to help get the truth out so a sadistic pedophile might be caught and removed from the streets - - to save future victims. Tracey didn't get rich, not by a long shot. Lawyers did, reporters and documentary makers did NOT!

Give me a break!

Ah, name-calling, the only form of argument those people know! Well, pi** on that!

Ditto.

Incidentally, who asked Mr. Tracey to get involved in the first place?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcerPacer
Back